The Girls Are having a B1G "O" | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The Girls Are having a B1G "O"

Ahh Jersey State fans...and endless well of hilarity.

The B1G announced the addition of Nebraska in June of 2010. That year Missouri football won the Big XII North division, finished 10-3 and ranked #18. Missouri basketball went 23-11 and won a game in the NCAA Tournament.

The B1G looked at all that, Missouri's two decent-sized TV markets, Missouri's 70,000-seat, paid-for stadium, Missouri's 15,000-seat basketball arena and said, "Thanks, but no thanks." But they're going to invite Jersey State. :rolling:

The only credible person who I've ever heard even suggest that Jersey State be added to the B1G is Joe Paterno. And he's dead. And the B1G sure as heck isn't going to be doing State Penn any favors anytime soon.

A great line of sarcasm from the thread:

"Nothing on the WVU boards so probably false."

I guess it's official now because this has now been reported on the WVU Big 12 board:

Columbus radio (97.1 FM) reporting Maryland to the B1G
Radio station is stating reports out of Maryland/DC area are claiming Maryland will be joining the B1G.

I guess it's official now because this has now been reported on the WVU Big 12 board:

Radio station is stating reports out of Maryland/DC area are claiming Maryland will be joining the B1G.

Well, now that a West Virginian has signed on, carve it in stone.

Ahh Jersey State fans...and endless well of hilarity.

The B1G announced the addition of Nebraska in June of 2010. That year Missouri football won the Big XII North division, finished 10-3 and ranked #18. Missouri basketball went 23-11 and won a game in the NCAA Tournament.

The B1G looked at all that, Missouri's two decent-sized TV markets, Missouri's 70,000-seat, paid-for stadium, Missouri's 15,000-seat basketball arena and said, "Thanks, but no thanks." But they're going to invite Jersey State. :rolling:

The only credible person who I've ever heard even suggest that Jersey State be added to the B1G is Joe Paterno. And he's dead. And the B1G sure as heck isn't going to be doing State Penn any favors anytime soon.
They don't understand 'Brand' when we say it...because they don't have one.

There is no more gullible a group of fools than those that populate the WVU S board.

Their blessed little brains can't comprehend that one day the Pac-12 will expand, and the only place for it to pick over is the Big 12. The B1G and Pac will fight over Texas and OU and their ugly little brothers while the ACC decides which of the leftovers it wants when ND goes all in.

don't really care about them. just stated one fact. in fact, you wasted 7x as many words on them than i did. why do you care so much to defend them?

Oh my.

We are now counting the number of words in a post to make an argument?

Wow.

It just seems Bees that you and a number of other posters are truly obsessed with Rutgers.

Like I said, I am much more interested in discussing teams we have battled for years and years - teams like BC, Pitt, and even Maryland.

You know what's awesome about this? As that is written it could be 100% true!

There could absolutely be some schmoe on a Columbus sports radio station saying "...and today on some Terrapins Internet forums we saw the resurfacing of the eternally stupid and completely impossible Maryland-to-the-Big-Ten rumor...".

And that makes those two statements correct.

The Internet is the most awesomest place in the worldz!!1!!!!1!

You know what's awesome about this? As that is written it could be 100% true!

There could absolutely be some schmoe on a Columbus sports radio station saying "...and today on some Terrapins Internet forums we saw the resurfacing of the eternally stupid and completely impossible Maryland-to-the-Big-Ten rumor...".

And that makes those two statements correct.

The Internet is the most awesomest place in the worldz!!1!!!!1!
Do we get to share in the $50M exit fee? If so, thanks Maryland!!!!

Yeah its about time for the West Virginia scout board to start the conference realignment talk. They are board since their team sucks, and is giving up 40 points a game. Have fun sucking in the bevo 12. Dont forget though they will be making what 100 million dollars a year according to some of their posters.

Yeah its about time for the West Virginia scout board to start the conference realignment talk. They are board since their team sucks, and is giving up 40 points a game. Have fun sucking in the bevo 12. Dont forget though they will be making what 100 million dollars a year according to some of their posters.

According to the good people on the Georgia Tech Hive Sports Center forum -- who I believe are the experts on such matters -- WVU and their Big 12 brethren are making GAZILLIONS.

There are more rutgers threads on this board than [insert something witty]

There are more rutgers threads on this board than [insert something witty]
than Columbus with speed boats (doesn't really fit, I just like the commercial)

I guess Sandy really, really distorted their minds. Too bad.

I'm with 44pride. After we played them last month, I stopped concerning myself with the Ladies. All I know is that my school is going to be swimming in money and part of the big 5 conferences. What Rutgers does is irrelevant to me. With the newfound ACC money, we should be more than able to upgrade our facilities and compete. That's all I really care about.

I certainly could see the B1G going after the NE and trying to grab Maryland and Rutgers. But I have confidence in my school that if we invest properly, we have more advantages than either of those schools. There is a reason we have been as successful as we have been and why they've been a bottom feeder for a good part of their history.

I'm with 44pride. After we played them last month, I stopped concerning myself with the Ladies. All I know is that my school is going to be swimming in money and part of the big 5 conferences. What Rutgers does is irrelevant to me. With the newfound ACC money, we should be more than able to upgrade our facilities and compete. That's all I really care about.

I certainly could see the B1G going after the NE and trying to grab Maryland and Rutgers. But I have confidence in my school that if we invest properly, we have more advantages than either of those schools. There is a reason we have been as successful as we have been and why they've been a bottom feeder for a good part of their history.

The rumor back in 2010 was that the BiG might have possibly been close to nailing down Nebraska, ND, Pitt, SU, and BC but they didn't want that many private institutions which was likely code for not SU and BC, but they would consider Rutgers and UConn. Of course the other rumor associated with this one was that ND put this ND-Pitt-SU-BC option on the table knowing full well the Big Ten wouldn't go for it. And of course the final associated rumor was that this was all BS. :)

I liked the first rumor since it dovetailed into a separate rumor I had heard that ND, Pitt, and SU were tied at the hip then and they supposedly had a pack that either all three went to the Big Ten together or they all stayed put and tried to make the Big East work. Which, even if not true, the latter is what they did appear to try to do by getting TCU (which both ND and Pitt were prime mover and shakers in this, but WVU fans try to say it was Luck despite the evidence to the contrary), but things later seemed to fall apart around which program should be BE football #10.

This was, of course, followed by SU and Pitt accepting ACC invites 10 months after TCU accepted the Big East invite and Jack Swarbick going on a uncharacteristic public hissyfit with veiled insults thrown Pitt's and SU's way for not looking out for the greater good of the collective. I found that truly strange coming from that particular institution and its history for looking out for #1, but then I thought maybe the supposed "pack" was real. And then a year after that, ND becomes a full member of the ACC for almost all sports and gave up full independence for semi-independence in football.

Cheers,
Neil

Oh my.

We are now counting the number of words in a post to make an argument?

Wow.

It just seems Bees that you and a number of other posters are truly obsessed with Rutgers.

Like I said, I am much more interested in discussing teams we have battled for years and years - teams like BC, Pitt, and even Maryland.

11X

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

the rumor is about maryland but somehow they convince themselves they are also part of the equation.

the maryland rumor is a joke to begin with.

To understand why Maryland will never leave the ACC, you have to understand how the Terp athletic program is funded and who the power brokers are.

1. Maryland State law prohibits using other University funds (e.g. General Funds) to support the athletic program. The athletic program needs to be self-funding.

2. In order to balance their books, the Athletic Department turns to the booster organization, The Terrapin Club, for millions of dollars each year. The Athletic Department depends on this money.

3. This gives the boosters tremendous clout. If the Terrapin Club withdrew a major portion of its support, Maryland couldn't afford even bus travel to games. When the University opened its new basketball arena, the first wo people that were introduced were big time contributors. If you want to see the Maryland power brokers, stand in the Baltimore Inner Harbor and look back towards the City. The offices at the top floors of the largest buildings house the people that will decide what Conference Maryland will play in

4. The Terrapin Club membership lives and dies to beat Duke and UNC and Virginia and other ACC schools. These people wouldn't miss an ACC basketball tournament ever.

5. Selling the B1G to the Terrapin Club would be almost an impossible task. These guys don't care about Purdue or Iowa or Minnesota. I know about 10 of these people pretty well.

Maryland isn't going to the B1G ever. It's a non-starter. I don't know who is dumber. The people that start this rumor or the ones that give it credence.

I really don't understand why so many on this board continue to underestimate Rutgers.

Why do they bother you so much?

They have never been a rival - have never had the deep tradition of Syracuse University Football and ultimately pose no real threat to our program.

I am much more concerned with and interested in Pitt, BC, MD, Va Tech, Miami and other true and long term SU rivals.

Having said that, I do not understand how so many on this board discount the Rutgers program. It has decent money, it has talent, the game experience in Piscataway is solid, and it's football academic performance is very strong.

OrangePA,

Sometimes I think you argue just to argue. Or that somehow what you consider to be "shallow" thinking shouldn't go unchallenged.

My opinion is that there are some underlying factors that are at work to insure that regardless of the effort, Rutgers athletics will never be more than mediocre. It may be the unattractiveness of the University as a place to go to school. It may be that the citizens of the State care so little about college athletics and the school. It may be a combination of things.

Consider as Exhibit "A", the Rutgers Men's baskeball program. I just saw where they lost the first game of the season to St Peter's at home. This is just the latest of a string of losses to smaller NJ schools that has occurred under the last three coaches. It's one thing to be non-competitive in the Big East. It's yet another to lose a string of games to schools with miniscule programs.

What could be easier than building a sometimes competitive program in a state school halfway between NYC and Philadelphia? All you need is 3 or 4 good players. Over the last 10 years, schools like St. Joes have been better than Rutgers. You almost have to be trying to be bad, not to occasionally have a good season. The haven't sniffed the NCAA tourney in 20 years.

Whatever the reasons, their athletic program in the sports people care about has traditionally been bad. So why would football be any different.

And this conference realignment, where they have been left behind, will eventually kill the football program too.

I really don't understand why so many on this board continue to underestimate Rutgers.

Why do they bother you so much?

They have never been a rival - have never had the deep tradition of Syracuse University Football and ultimately pose no real threat to our program.

I am much more concerned with and interested in Pitt, BC, MD, Va Tech, Miami and other true and long term SU rivals.

Having said that, I do not understand how so many on this board discount the Rutgers program. It has decent money, it has talent, the game experience in Piscataway is solid, and it's football academic performance is very strong.
They have decent money???

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/12/despite_success_on_the_field_b.html

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...ense-of-academics-fails-to-emulate-texas.html

To understand why Maryland will never leave the ACC, you have to understand how the Terp athletic program is funded and who the power brokers are.

1. Maryland State law prohibits using other University funds (e.g. General Funds) to support the athletic program. The athletic program needs to be self-funding.

2. In order to balance their books, the Athletic Department turns to the booster organization, The Terrapin Club, for millions of dollars each year. The Athletic Department depends on this money.

3. This gives the boosters tremendous clout. If the Terrapin Club withdrew a major portion of its support, Maryland couldn't afford even bus travel to games. When the University opened its new basketball arena, the first wo people that were introduced were big time contributors. If you want to see the Maryland power brokers, stand in the Baltimore Inner Harbor and look back towards the City. The offices at the top floors of the largest buildings house the people that will decide what Conference Maryland will play in

4. The Terrapin Club membership lives and dies to beat Duke and UNC and Virginia and other ACC schools. These people wouldn't miss an ACC basketball tournament ever.

5. Selling the B1G to the Terrapin Club would be almost an impossible task. These guys don't care about Purdue or Iowa or Minnesota. I know about 10 of these people pretty well.

Maryland isn't going to the B1G ever. It's a non-starter. I don't know who is dumber. The people that start this rumor or the ones that give it credence.
They may be one and the same.