The green light to shoot... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The green light to shoot...

Trueblue25 said:
Alright well Cooney's gotta figure out how to positively impact the players he's supposed to create opportunities for. He's not a big shooting threat, again below 35% from 3 and the field. He won't draw extra defenders from good teams. He's not a great facilitator, as his assist numbers have always been downward of what people want to see from a guard. Alls I'm saying is at least he's athletic and has the ability to drive. Drive to the hoop, it frees up space for post players (assuming we have one) and shooting threats around the perimeter. Cooney shouldn't be taking 10-15 shots a game. Play to yours and the teams strengths.

He's not the PG and his assist numbers have gone up every year. Also, if anyone has actually watched all 10 games, he's pretty much the only one that tries to get the ball inside, especially to Coleman.

He's not the PG and his assist numbers have gone up every year. Also, if anyone has actually watched all 10 games, he's pretty much the only one that tries to get the ball inside, especially to Coleman.
his assist numbers are only up because of gbinije's shooting. don't try to make like cooney is a playmaker, he is the bare minimum ballhandler for a starting guard at a high major. and he is unreal slow.

orangehomer said:
his assist numbers are only up because of gbinije's shooting. don't try to make like cooney is a playmaker, he is the bare minimum ballhandler for a starting guard at a high major. and he is unreal slow.

Sure

If you haven't learned not to argue with Bees yet, you should probably take a rest from the Board!

Not sure what that is, but SU's website has Cooney with 33 assts in 10 games for a 3.3 average in less than 40 mins, so I don't know how it goes down for 40.

And I'll repeat, he's the only one of the four that gets no time at PG. so I don't get the point.
That is from basketball-reference.com -- not sure why there is a discrepancy with Cooney's assists total, as all other stats seem to line up with those on the SU site. And I wasn't trying to make any point about Cooney, but only trying to verify what someone had stated about his historical performance in terms of assists.

Alright well Cooney's gotta figure out how to positively impact the players he's supposed to create opportunities for.

He's not a big shooting threat, again below 35% from 3 and the field. He won't draw extra defenders from good teams.

He's not a great facilitator, as his assist numbers have always been downward of what people want to see from a guard.

Alls I'm saying is at least he's athletic and has the ability to drive. Drive to the hoop, it frees up space for post players (assuming we have one) and shooting threats around the perimeter.

Cooney shouldn't be taking 10-15 shots a game. Play to yours and the teams strengths.
Fair point - he seems to be attempting to get to the rim more, which is good (sort of, results are underwhelming), but he should probably play off his mid-range game as much as possible. He seems to hit those shots at a higher clip, and allows for the kickout, he gets too deep and it seems to spell trouble more often than not.

Fair point - he seems to be attempting to get to the rim more, which is good (sort of, results are underwhelming), but he should probably play off his mid-range game as much as possible. He seems to hit those shots at a higher clip, and allows for the kickout, he gets too deep and it seems to spell trouble more often than not.

I wish he would learn to jump stop. Actually I wish Richardson would learn to jump stop to. They either shoot a jumper or try to go all the way to the basket. That's what leads to charges and wild shots at the rim for both of them. It would solve a lot of ill's this team has.

Rossco123 said:
If you haven't learned not to argue with Bees yet, you should probably take a rest from the Board!

You ever coming back up here again or are you going to just wrestle hurricanes?

I think the green light needs to be turned red or at least yellow for a bit:
For single seasons, from 1995-96 to 2015-16, playing in the Atlantic Coast Conference, requiring 3-Point Field Goal Attempts Per Game >= 7 and Field Goal Attempts Per Game >= 10 and 3-Point Field Goal Percentage <= .32 and Assists Per Game <= 4, sorted by descending Field Goal Attempts:

1 Trevor Cooney JR 2014-15 G Syracuse
2 Trevor Cooney SR 2015-16 G Syracuse
3 Malachi Richardson FR 2015-16 G Syracuse
And that's it.

You ever coming back up here again or are you going to just wrestle hurricanes?

Health will probably bring me back to the cold and Canadian health care fairly soon. Sorry I missed The Battle for Atlantis but after paying for the Hotel and all I ended up in hospital for the week. I'll call you some time soon and explain.

Last edited:
Look forward to it. Be well buddy.

Millhouse said:
no one ever calls good shooters streak shooters. streak shooting is just randomness. roll a die enough times and you'll get 6 a bunch of times in a row but over time, you're going to go 1/6

Noooooo...come on. Really?

44cuse

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom