The importance of In House Recruiting Coordinators | Syracusefan.com

The importance of In House Recruiting Coordinators

Whitey23

Twitter Wizard
Who is Mark Pantoni and why is he so important to Ohio State? Buckeyes recruiting

Let's make it simple. It's Pantoni's responsibility to sift through thousands of top high school prospects and help Meyer isolate which ones are the best fit for Ohio State. More specifically, Pantoni must watch film of these prospects, research them and be Ohio State's first line of communication.

Pantoni just isn't a face of this football juggernaut. He never voluntarily commands attention, vehemently avoiding the big screen at all costs.

But Pantoni is behind it. Always.

"It's good I don't have hobbies," he said.

----

Ohio State has brought in three recruiting classes under the direction of Meyer and Pantoni, all of which have rated in the top five nationally. And when it comes to competing for national championships, those are won by the programs that have the most talent on their sideline.

Urban Meyer has stressed how important Mark Pantoni is to Ohio State's recruiting efforts multiple times, going as far as saying Pantoni is one of the most invaluable members of the Buckeyes' coaching staff.

"He's my guy," Meyer said. "I have to have him. I don't know how you do it without him. I don't want to put him in the same category as the strength coach, but when you start talking about the most valuable assets of a program, No. 1 is personnel. And he's knee-deep in it."

Last edited:
Ohio St pays that guy $85k per year plus the car allowance and bonuses, which probably puts him around a $100k investment. This is what SU is competing against in terms of staffing. It's why I bitch and moan about Gross not funding football to the extent it needs- if SU doesn't stay somewhat competitive they will lose someone like White in a heartbeat. It's not just about keeping the HC and coordinator salaries competitive these days.

This also points out how much of a joke it is that Delaney says the BIG would become D3 schools if they had to pay athletes. OSU is paying how many million per year just on football staff salaries...

if he making $85k then they are way over $100k when you add in the benefits alone. this is the perfect kind of position to get endowed with the right kind of fund raising. its not super high cost like a HC or Coordinator but its got value that someone would feel like they are investing in making the team better and you could offer some neat perks at the end of the recruiting cycle as incentive.

Support Staff is the new arms race. Dabo Swinney immediately upgraded the support staff as soon as he was hired at Clemson. He restructured his contract to take way less money to get some of these people on board. It is really interesting the number of people it takes to run a program these days.

Here is an article detailing all the Clemson Football Only Support staff http://www.orangeandwhite.com/news/2013/jul/31/behind-scenes-swinneys-support-staff-keeps-clemson/

Here is link to an Interview with Thad Turnipseed, Clemson's director of Recruiting and External Affairs. It gives great insight into what it takes for Clemson to be able to compete with FSU, Miami UGA and Auburn for the best recruits in our region. http://wccpfm.com/2014/04/08/thad-turnipseed-in-studio-with-roy-philpott/

Ohio St pays that guy $85k per year plus the car allowance and bonuses, which probably puts him around a $100k investment. This is what SU is competing against in terms of staffing. It's why I bitch and moan about Gross not funding football to the extent it needs- if SU doesn't stay somewhat competitive they will lose someone like White in a heartbeat. It's not just about keeping the HC and coordinator salaries competitive these days.

This also points out how much of a joke it is that Delaney says the BIG would become D3 schools if they had to pay athletes. OSU is paying how many million per year just on football staff salaries...

Inaccurate Post.

Tell us why then? I hate drive-byes.

There is no evidence that the SU Football Program is not being funded to a greater extent than in the past - at least with respect to personnel.

There is a dedicated recruiting staff/administration.

Delaney is correct - paying athletes would be a financial disaster that would nullify big time college football.

Full_Rebar said:

That statement by Delaney is just such an obvious lie. Swofford isn't perfect, but at least he isn't completely full of s***.

There is no evidence that the SU Football Program is not being funded to a greater extent than in the past - at least with respect to personnel.

There is a dedicated recruiting staff/administration.

Delaney is correct - paying athletes would be a financial disaster that would nullify big time college football.

Eric White is SU's newly hired Recruiting Director. There is another person with recruiting in their title as well
http://cuse.com/coaches.aspx?rc=927&path=football

http://cuse.com/coaches.aspx?path=football

You say that like it's a bad thing.

;)

Actually, not a bad point.

I love big time college sports, and I'm more than a little ashamed of it.

It's a total cesspool. The better part of me knows it'd be appropriate to blow it all up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom