The Jim Boeheim Show - after Texas Southern | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show - after Texas Southern

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Delmonico’s Italian Steakhouse on Erie Boulevard in Syracuse. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
http://cuse.com/sb_output.aspx?form=4
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: http://tunein.com/radio/WGVA-1240-s29191/

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

(Some years they have started out just with an hour show and later shifted to a two hour show. I came up with two questions and sent in the first, which is the question I always like to begin the year with. If it’s a two hour show, I’ll ask the second in the second hour.)

Apparently they are going to have a Jim Boeheim Show during his suspension. I avoided any questions about the games being played during the suspension.

First hour:

“Coach, DaJuan Coleman used to shoot fouls like Arinze Onuaku. Now he’s shooting them like Gerry McNamara. Is this an early-season fluke or is really a good free throw shooter now? And how much did GMAC have to do with that?”

Second hour: (if they have one):

“Coach, I was looking at a list of Syracuse football players who have played in the Super Bowl. There have been 28 of them. I decided to see how many Syracuse basketball players have played in the NBA Finals. There have been three: Billy Gabor played in the 1950 and 1954 finals against the Lakers and scored 52 points in 9 games. Our former police chief, Dennis DuVal, who played 1 game in the 1975 finals as his Bullets were swept by the Warriors and scored 2 points and Marty Byrnes, who played 1 games for the Lakers against the Sixers in 1980, and didn't score.

With all the success we’ve had in basketball over the years, this is surprising. Is there some reason that our former players don’t wind up playing on teams good enough to play for the NBA title?”

COACH BOEHEIM

(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject)

(Note: Next week they will return to their regular Thursday nights.)

Coach joked that they’d moved to Monday “to try and trick Steve”. It didn’t work.

On the Texas Southern game: “The ball movement was good… They were a better offensive team than we thought. Griffin has only been with them for a few games… They are not very good defensively. We need to make wide open threes. They can turn a 2 point game into an 8 point game. We’re missing plenty of easy threes. The irony is that they shot threes very well and they aren’t a good shooting team... We didn’t shoot well but only had a couple turnovers until late in the game when we got 2-3 more… Tyler Roberson is not being aggressive. It’s inexcusable. You expect juniors to be leaders. That’s got to change. DaJuan is aggressive….We let one guy make 6 threes. You can’t let one guy keep, making these. The defense isn’t good enough….The difference between making 8 of 26 three sand making 12 of 26 threes is so big. We need to shoot better. Several of them did go in an out: 3-4 of them. That’s a good thing.” By which he meant that having them go in an out is more encouraging than it they’d been air balls.

Mat noted that Jerron Martin had made 5 three sin 10 games and then made 6 in this game. “When he banked one in it tells you what kind of night he’s going to have.” I guess he trained at the Laminzana school of shooting.

Liam from Pompey asked about the teams” consistency” but made it clear he was talking about shooting, too. JB: “I don’t think anybody thinks that we’ve shot the ball as well as we need to. Exclude Atlantis and we’re probably under 30% and that’s not acceptable.” Also not quite accurate. We were 34 for 73 from the arc in the Bahamas: 46.6%. In other games, (not counting exhibitions) we are 81 for 252, 32.1%. But he point remains: we need to hit much better than 32% for this team to be successful.

Jim still wanted to talk about the lack of turnovers: just 5. Matt said it was “Close to a 5 year low”. We also had 14 steals. “Our hands were good. We got deflections and tips. We let them get those lob passes and elt one guy get open too many times.” How good is Derrick Griffin? “ He can jump and dunk. That’s all I know. I remember a guy named Anderson for Detroit (Doug Anderson, who scored 18 in a 72-68 SU win in the Dome on 12/17/12: JB’s 900th win, at the time), who had 7 dunks on alley oops and that game got close. We’ve got to learn quicker, (to adjust to these things). A lot of teams don’t use the alley-oop. It’s a high risk play. 9After we adjusted) they threw it away 2-3-4 times.” Matt said one alley-oop looked like it was headed for the band when Griffin grabbed it and dunked it. JB: “He’s a great athlete and rebounder but didn’t give them much help on defense.” Back to our shooting: “Teams were shooting 51% and 39% from three against them.” Matt said “Everybody wanted to shoot against them”. We were 47% and 31%.

I called in my question about DaJuan Coleman’s free throw shooting. JB: “He works with Coach Hopkins. During his off time the last two years he couldn’t move so he worked on his release. He hadn’t been making them until Atlantis. Then he made something like 8 in a row. He’s got a good release. He couldn’t run so he practiced free throws. People under-estimate the the impact of taking two years of, not playing basketball. It’s horrific. He has to learn to get into positon to use his body. It’s different for guards. Big guys take 2-3 years to learn where they need to be. He’s exceeded expectations of offense. He needs to improve his lateral movement on defense. It isn’t there yet.” Matt said that DC “had no attempts at the foul line in the first 7 games, except for two against Connecticut. But he’s been making them from the Georgetown game on. He’s now 19 of 23 from the line, 82.6% JB: “That’s tremendous.” Matt is correct, DaJuan had only two free throw attempts in the first seven games, both against Connecticut and he made both of them. In the last 6 games he’s 17 for 21, meaning that not only is he making his free throws but he’s getting to the line far more than he had been.

Matt also noted that DC was 9 for 10 from the field in these last two games. He referred to Mike Hopkins that they don’t really want him attempting 15 foot shots but when he makes one, he always seems to have a good game. JB: “Big men take time to develop touch. The defense is so concerned over our perimeter players he and Tyler Roberson are getting the ball where they are open and they have to take advantage of it.”

Regarding Pittsburgh: We struggled with them last year and they are better this year. Pitt and Miami are very strong. We are playing the seven best teams in the conference on the road. Nobody else is doing it. The top of the league and the bottom of the league are both better than last year. The balance of the schedule is striking.” (Meaning that its imbalance is striking.) Matt suggested that Pitt is a particularly bad match-up for this Syracuse team. JB: “Pitt is a bad match-up for any team. It doesn’t matter who the other team is. They are a bad match-up for anybody. They have two senior guards, a senior forward and a 5th year center. Their two transfers, Stirling Smith and Rafael Maia, are playing immediately, which is unusual.” Maia a transfer from Brown, led the Ivy league in rebounding three years in a row. He’s 6-9 245 and is averaging 3 points and 4 rebounds in 14 minutes per game. Smith a transfer from Coppin State averaged 14 points a game for them last year. He’s 6-4 185 and is averaging 6.6 points in 22 minutes a game. Pitt has 11 players who are averaging 10 minutes a game. We have 6. They are hitting 50% for the field, 38% from the arc and 80% from the line. We are 43%/35%/68%. They are out-rebounding their foes by 11 per game. We are being outrebounded by 1 per game. Both teams are averaging 12 turnovers a game. Not very promising numbers for SU.

On the positive side, they lost to the only ranked team they’ve played, Purdue, by 59-72 and almost got upset by Western Carolina in their last game. They were down by 8 at halftime and won by 6.

Miami has 7-0 244 Tonye Jekiri who is “playing very well”, (9 points, 10 rebounds and 1 block per game). “They have two 5th year guards and are very, very deep”.

The Pitt game is at 9PM. Matt wondered if the game time affected a team’s performance. “You never know. I have no answer. Sometimes you play well at Noon, sometimes at 9PM.”

After eulogizing Dolph Schayes two weeks ago and John Mason last week, this week it was Meadowlark lemon’s turn. “He had a unique impact. He played more games than anyone in history and was probably the best of the Globetrotters, although Marques Haynes was portably the greatest dribbler of all time and we lost him a while ago, too, (May). Haynes and Curley Neal were the best ball handlers ever.” Matt said that Meadowlark had played in over 16,000 basketball games. JB: “That’s probably four times as much as anybody else. I met him a couple of times. A really ncie man. he ahd that half court hook shot and he made most of them. He touched people other ways. He brought the game to more kids than anyone else.“ They went over the names in the Globetrotter’s Hall of Fame: Lemon, Haynes, Goose Tatum, who preceded Meadowlark as the team’s main clown, Neal and Wilt Chamberlain, who played for them in the late 50’s. Also Red Klotz, the manager of the Washington Generals and thus the coach who lost the most games ever. They talked about when Lazarus Sims played with the Trotters. They had a ‘serious’ team that went around the country playing college teams, including whoever was the defending national champions. That was the team that beat our defending champions in the Dome back in 2003. Jim noted that “Z” had also played abroad and been the point guard on several championship teams.

Pat called in and said that due to a bad flu, he had missed his first game since 2003. He joked that his wife told him “You’re not missing any more games”. Pat was concerned with our defense. We gave up too many alley-oops. He doesn’t want us to “exchange baskets”. “Just because you’re playing a lousy defensive team it doesn’t mean we have to be one, too.” JB: “It’s frustrating to move the ball so well and then miss shots. You can lose games that way, especially when the other team is scoring. But we forced turnovers. Defensively we were not as good as we’d like to be. Part of it is personnel and part of it is movement. Coleman, Lydon and Richardson are still learning. And we don’t have the shot blocker we usually have.”

About Tyler Lydon. How is he going to handle the ACC? JB: “He’ll get better. His long range (shooting) is getting better. He’s passing up too many open shots. He can put the ball on the floor more. Both he and DC can pass the ball well and they will play together very well.” (Especially if one is in the high post and the other in the low post, coach!) “The freshmen started out like crazy in the Islands, where they had a good shooting background. Malachi has to keep playing hard on defense when he’s not hitting. He’s been getting defensive rebounds, which is good. He isn’t that big. Frank Howard has bene playing well and there’s more there. We need to be patient with freshmen. We should be pretty happy with what they’ve done.

They talked about the Kentucky Louisville game. The Wildcats had been hitting 30% from three and went 11 for 22 and beat Louisville by 2 at home- which shows you how good Louisville is. They also lost to #1 Michigan State by 3, (actually 4- those are their only losses).” They got two 5th year seniors who averaged 20 points last year and they had a lot of guys back from last year’s team.” (6-2 190 Trey Lewis averaged 16 points for Cleveland State last year and is averaging 15 for Louisville this year; 6-6 Damion lee averaged 21 for Drexel last year and is averaging 18 for the Cardinals.)

Duke isn’t the same without Amile Jefferson. They are like us- they’ve bene suing 7 guys. You lose a guy and it’s a big deal.” Matt added that Kentucky wasn’t the same without Isaiah Briscoe, (remember him?) But Jim felt that Kentucky could replace Briscoe more easily than Duke could replace Jefferson. They noted that Pitt “is using 10-11 guys”. JB: “Yeah, but they are winning by 30. We used to play 10 guys, too, when we were winning by 30.”

JB will be back on the sidelines for the 1/9 game against North Carolina. But he’ll get to be back at practice on 1/6, the day after the Clemson game. His suspension ends at midnight. He said “I’m ready” but I guess there won’t be any midnight practice: he’ll be there the first thing in the morning.

“UNC is a great team. Paige wasn’t full strength when they got beat. They were #1 in the country for good reason. It will be a difficult game. We’ve played the #1 team twice every year we’ve been in the ACC. The schedule is imbalanced but we just have to play through it.

What will it take to beat Pitt? “Make shots and play better defense. That’s a great formula." That's the kind of insight I tune into this show for. ;)

Roh roh. Look out, Roberson!

“The freshmen started out like crazy in the Islands, where they had a good shooting background."

Ah ha! Doesn't that confirm that the smaller gyms and different background of many tourneys favor shooting? He denies the Carrier Dome is a liability in that regard, yet says this. J'accuse!

When the ACC schedule comes around with bigger teams, will we see a line-up of Roberson, Coleman & Lydon? I would really like to see Lydn play some SF. He has the range and the driving ability to be tough on the wing.

When the ACC schedule comes around with bigger teams, will we see a line-up of Roberson, Coleman & Lydon? I would really like to see Lydn play some SF. He has the range and the driving ability to be tough on the wing.
I would love to see that front line get some extended run, as it seemingly should be able to hold its own on the offensive and defensive glass.

Sounds like if JB had another forward option, Roberson would be getting the hook early and often.

yeah, JB is not pleased with TR's (in)consistency - nor should he be. such an enigma

Madbiker said:
Sounds like if JB had another forward option, Roberson would be getting the hook early and often.
With the improvements in the play of DC2 and the struggles TR is having, TL is getting more and more time playing PF.

He might end up playing more minutes there then at C in some games.

I wonder if starting Lydon over Roberson would motivate the kid to play harder.
Needs the Red Forman treatment -
images

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom