The Jim Boeheim Show - before Duke I | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show - before Duke I

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show is at Carrabba's Italian Grill at 550 Towne Drive, Fayetteville, NY. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which usually begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.
Their schedule: The AmeriCU Jim Boeheim Show Begins Tonight! - Syracuse University Athletics

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | Live News, Sports, Music, and Podcasts
There’s now a third segment where Jim and Gomez can be seen on camera at:
The early shows tend to be in a one-hour format. I'll post a summary of them the same night. When they do two hour shows. I will do two posts: the Matt Park segment the night of the show and the Gomez segments the next day.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

1st Segment Question:

“Coach, after the Florida State game, Benny Williams came out did some shooting practice in the Dome after not playing in that game. Did he do that on his own or was he asked to do it and how did that impact his status on the team?”

2nd Segment Question:

“Coach, Arinze Onuaku recently said that he was never asked to do what Jesse Edwards is being asked to do defensively, covering both the paint and the corners. You’ve explained that you switched your defense to respond to all the good shooters there are these days. If you had a player like Arinze, Rick Jackson, Etan Thomas, etc., how would you use them today?”

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. The quotes may not be verbatim –they are from my scribbled notes. I have not knowingly changed the meaning.)

How is everything? JB: “Everything is fine. We had a good practice in Melo today.” That, apparently, is everything.

Providence is playing tonight and they are 15-2. Ed Cooley is being rumored for other jobs but JB thinks he’s happy there and will stay.

Matt noted that we’ve been ahead by 1 point in every game of the three game homestand. We closed out the Pitt and Clemson games strongly. JB: “Our offense is good. We need to get more stops. We played a little better on defense in the second half. Our rebounding is significantly better. But we aren’t where we need to be defensively.”

I called in my first question. Jim said that Benny was out there on his own and people were impressed with it. “A lot of guys go to Melo after practice. They want to get better at their game. Benny was always a catch-and-shoot guy but then he had a growth spurt and now he’s 6-8. He doesn’t understand the inside game. He knows he’s got to push and get more physical. Many first-year players struggled and didn’t play much as freshmen. Jesse struggled his first year and played well – in spots – last year. He’s a great kid trying to get better and I think he will.” Matt said “You learn the game a certain way and turn out to be 6-8.” JB: “He’s filling out and will be bigger and stronger.”

When I called in my second question in the second hour, I asked a follow-up question on this: “Benny hasn’t shot well but you said that he was a ‘catch-and-shoot’ guy. When a player has a growth spurt, does his relationship to the basket change such that he has to re-learn to shoot at his new height?” JB: “Benny’s never been a great shooter but he’s used to playing on the perimeter. He’s 215-220 pounds and he’s stronger than anyone he’s playing against. He can’t dribble around guys. Cole Swider has the same problem. Benny’s got to learn to score around the basket and hurt people in there.” [I think ‘The Big Hurt’ is taken.] “He’s a very good passer but he’s got to be a threat to score or they will just let him shoot (and cut off the passing lanes).”

Indiana was playing Purdue. “They haven’t put it together quite yet. Purdue could win it all. They’ve got some big guys an NBA prospect at small forward.” (Indiana just won it as I type this, so our win over them is looking good.)

Florida State is on a 13 game winning streak on overtime games. Jim commented that we once had a streak like that. Matt said it was a 17-2 streak in Dome OT games. Jim thought it included the road. “Any game can go either way. It used to be there were a couple of teams above everyone. If you don’t play well, you could lose. “

Andy in Westvale told Matt that when the game is on TV, “I turn the sound down to listen to you just as I did for Doug Logan.” He said that his Dad was a high school opponent of JB’s at Mt. Carmel and had coaches some relatives of Jim’s players. Andy praised the team for getting to the line 26 times vs. Clemson, (and making 20 of them), by “getting to the rim”. JB: “They put us on the line more than usual and Clemson was shooting from the perimeter.” [They shot 5 more three-point attempts than we did, 22-27 but both teams attempted 36 shots inside the arc.] “We are getting more rebounds but fewer steals. it’s a function of defense. We are taller but not as good at traps or getting lose balls….We’re getting better defensively but can’t quite get there. Sometimes we get to the shooters and sometimes we don’t. We haven’t had much missing open shots this year – we usually do. That Clemson kid was 18% from three, [Chase Hunter and he was 28%]. Honor or Dawes are good. We left him uncovered once and he made it and then we covered him and he still made it.”

Josh in Boulder asked about Duke: “They know we can beat them but do we know that we can beat them?” He was asking about the team’s confidence level. Jim: “They have to believe all the time. They led the whole a game against Miami and lost to Wake Forest with 10 seconds left on a bad call. We’ve been playing good basketball in a lot of way, especially on offense and we can beat anybody if we play our game. We started with new people in new positions. We’re playing a lot better now. It’s a good group, working hard and moving forward. I think we’ve won 3 times down there, (at Duke), and it was close a couple other times.” [Including this one]
Jim Boeheim ejected vs Duke on controversial charging call

Our women’s team “must be the smallest team in college basketball but they are remarkedly resilient with all they’ve gone through.” But they lost again – to Georgia Tech. They had 8 players and two fouled out.

Matt asked Jim to break down the end of the FSU game. “Jimmy usually goes with his right but out-guessed himself. He got bumped – no call. he didn’t want to foul because he thought he could trap the guy, who dribbled out of bounds and all the fans saw it but they didn’t call that. We had him in there because we wanted to go bigger.” On the Joe Girard moonshot: “With seconds left if he sees something he can try it, if not, call a time-out.” I guess he saw something.

Miami ‘stomped’ UNC. JB: “They just…it was crazy. Their center had shooting practice. NC was not into it. They just weren’t guarding anyone.” Sounds like their game against us in 2020. Virginia Tech won at North Carolina State after a 17-0 start. State had a chance to win at the end. They’ve lost a lot of close games. Pitt lost by 6 to Virginia. They are now 6-7 at home. Wake beat Georgia Tech 80-64, putting 5 players in double figures. “They have a good big guy and good perimeter guys. They put that team together with the transfer portal.” Louisville beat BC 67-54 and Florida State actually scheduled a non-conference game, beating North Florida. “They can do play extra games because they play 12 guys”, said JB with a chuckle.

Steve in Cicero, (no relation), complained about our defensive rebounding, saying that “everyone is watching the ball, not their man”. Jim explained that we play zone defense and thus don’t have a ‘man’ to watch. The players guard space. “You don’t box out in a zone. If their center is over to one side and our center goes there, he leaves the middle wide open.” [We wouldn’t want to do that – see my second question.] Matt suggested maybe it was up to the individual players to have a knack and a thirst for rebounding. JB: “I’m not going to do this….let’s look at one game- Clemson. They went small and had four guys, sometimes 5 out there shooting. Carolina’s always had two big guys blocking us out. We were better off trying to turn it over and exploit their big guys, (on the open floor).” Later, when I called in my second question, I reported that I’d looked it up and we have rebounded 31% of our misses this year – and so has the opposition.

Matt decided to “go around the world” and point out where our ex-players are playing now. Tyus Battle is now in Israel, (it’s warmer than Siberia). Paschal Chukwu is in Australia. Marek Dolezaj and Andy Rautins are still playing in Greece. Kristoff Ongenaet is home in Belgium. Chris McCullough and John Gillon are now both playing professionally in Taiwan.

In the NBA, Carmelo Anthony had a “nice 10-point quarter” but the Lakers are struggling, (Jim used the word ‘foundering’). Jerami Grant is injured, and Elijah Hughes got Covid after his big game. “Oshae Brissett has had his moments”.

For the Duke game, Trevor Keels is hurt and questionable for the SU game but Jim thinks he’ll play. “We are preparing as if he will. We was walking about after the game. He’ll be a top 10 draft choice. They have the best players in the league. Mark Williams is really good. He dominated us inside, one of the few games where we haven’t been competitive down there. Banchero will go 3-4 in the draft. Roach and Moore are good on the outside and Alan Griffin’s brother AJ is really good. Duke’s lost two in a row they could have won.” [No they haven’t – they’ve lost two of their last 4 games.] “Covid really knocked them back. They have tremendous Final Four potential. The league overall is better in terms of all the teams. NC State and Pitt have lost a lot of close games.” [So have we.] “Notre Dame will be really good by the end of the year and Louisville is hanging in there….Baylor dropped a couple of games. We saw Auburn up close and they are really good. The top teams are all good but they can all get beat.”

Matt closed the first hour with a trivia question: What national champion in JB’s tenure had the longest undefeated streak at the start of the following season? Note: it sure wasn’t us.

As a bonus, I’ll reveal the answer given to my second question, then do the rest of the Gomez segment, (which was also hosted by Matt as Gomez is ‘under the weather’), tomorrow.

JB: “It’s hard in today’s game for a slow center. Etan and Ricky could move. We gave up the wing shots then. The center to the corner, when done right can result in a lot of blocks and traps. The biggest problem is inside. PJ Hall could never have scored against Etan. He would have blocked every shot. Jesse can block shots but isn’t physical enough. Back them teams shot 15-20 threes a game and didn’t shoot that well. Man-to-man makes no difference, modern teams will shoot just as many threes. Rak and Baye could cover the corners. Baye was our best at it. Etan’s blocks led to going the other way, [fast breaks]. Today, traps create fast breaks. Jesse and PJ might be the most improved players in the league, along with that guard at NC State.”

Note that he didn’t answer my question of how he would use Arinze, Rick or Etan in today’s game. I’m going to miss having guys like that on the team.

Steve in Cicero, (no relation), complained about our defensive rebounding, saying that “everyone is watching the ball, not their man”. Jim explained that we play zone defense and thus don’t have a ‘man’ to watch. The players guard space. “You don’t box out in a zone. If their center is over to one side and our center goes there, he leaves the middle wide open.” [We wouldn’t want to do that – see my second question.] Matt suggested maybe it was up to the individual players to have a knack and a thirst for rebounding. JB: “I’m not going to do this….let’s look at one game- Clemson. They went small and had four guys, sometimes 5 out there shooting. Carolina’s always had two big guys blocking us out. We were better off trying to turn it over and exploit their big guys, (on the open floor).” Later, when I called in my second question, I reported that I’d looked it up and we have rebounded 31% of our misses this year – and so has the opposition.

I think this is just a messy answer from JB. He's talking about your space to own versus your man in zone vs man (similar to zone blocking for a run), but the bolded part, you don't box out in a zone? What?

Matt asked Jim to break down the end of the FSU game. “Jimmy usually goes with his right but out-guessed himself. He got bumped – no call. he didn’t want to foul because he thought he could trap the guy, who dribbled out of bounds and all the fans saw it but they didn’t call that. We had him in there because we wanted to go bigger.” On the Joe Girard moonshot: “With seconds left if he sees something he can try it, if not, call a time-out.” I guess he saw something.

Everyone knows he usually goes right. They play him for it. He also doesn't have the lift / footwork / power to make that a good shot in that scenario. Regarding the trap, if I'm not mistaken, was there ever a second defender that came over? This just seems like we weren't prepared for the end of game scenarios.

JB: “It’s hard in today’s game for a slow center. Etan and Ricky could move. We gave up the wing shots then. The center to the corner, when done right can result in a lot of blocks and traps. The biggest problem is inside. PJ Hall could never have scored against Etan. He would have blocked every shot. Jesse can block shots but isn’t physical enough. Back them teams shot 15-20 threes a game and didn’t shoot that well. Man-to-man makes no difference, modern teams will shoot just as many threes. Rak and Baye could cover the corners. Baye was our best at it. Etan’s blocks led to going the other way, [fast breaks]. Today, traps create fast breaks. Jesse and PJ might be the most improved players in the league, along with that guard at NC State.”

SWC75 As you note, he didn't answer your question.

Also, to say that PJ Hall could never have scored against Etan, well, then you better start recruiting some Etans. There aren't many guys that will ever evolve here to have that size, athleticism and defensive prowess like Etan. Outside of maybe K Mart, Etan was the best defender in the country his senior year. So if that's what we're looking for, better get grinding on the recruiting trail.

Also, tangentially, talking about "slow center", just look at our lack of speed across the board. It's hard for a slow team because of the spacing on the floor bc of where guys can shoot. The geometry of the applicable space in the half court for offense is much greater in area now.

When I called in my second question in the second hour, I asked a follow-up question on this: “Benny hasn’t shot well but you said that he was a ‘catch-and-shoot’ guy. When a player has a growth spurt, does his relationship to the basket change such that he has to re-learn to shoot at his new height?” JB: “Benny’s never been a great shooter but he’s used to playing on the perimeter. He’s 215-220 pounds and he’s stronger than anyone he’s playing against. He can’t dribble around guys. Cole Swider has the same problem. Benny’s got to learn to score around the basket and hurt people in there.” [I think ‘The Big Hurt’ is taken.] “He’s a very good passer but he’s got to be a threat to score or they will just let him shoot (and cut off the passing lanes)

So, I didn't follow Benny that closely in HS, he was a catch and shoot guy? How small was he?

Also, I'm a bit confused by where he lands this comment, that Benny has to be a threat to score or they'll just let him shoot... but earlier he says he has to go inside. Is he saying that Benny has to go inside, forget shooting outside Js and he'll be effective or is he saying he has to improve his jumper so they won't just sag off of him or both? I lost the thread on that part. Glad JB thinks he's a very good passer, at least.

I am hopeful that JB’s positive comments about Benny have been communicated to Benny. I know we all fret that Benny will leave but Coach stated that one of the reasons he is having difficulty is a growth spurt. If Benny feels we can coach him up and get him going again, that will be great. His shooting baskets after a game speaks to his determination to improve. He seems very engaged when on the bench. These are good signs, methinks.

Very informative about Benny with his growth spurt and new shooting geometry due to that as well as now being physical enough to go down low. Anyway he can score and improve his net will get him more PT and that will be a huge lift for the team.

The rest of the Gomez segment:

Matt sat in for Gomez, who was ‘under the weather’.

Indiana was 9 points up on Purdue as the segment began. JB: “You get away from home and make mistakes you can lose to everyone.”

The schedule is tight as they try to get in games and adhere to the NCAA ‘days off’ policy. SU has no games for a week leading to 2/19, then three games in five days in the revised schedule. “We’re not learning a lot right now- just preparing for the next game. You make adjustments for every game. Sometimes you put a play in during a game. There’s just not a lot of time. Some things have gone really well on offense – movement, shooting, etc. But we haven’t been able to capitalize on it. We ‘won’ at Wake Forest – their guy knocked the ball out of bounds.”

Ant other Matt sent in a question by E-mail. He doesn’t like how the guards and forwards collapse in when the ball goes inside and leaves the three-pointer open. Jim said “the forwards have go inside to prevent the lay-up. The guards have to rotate. Jesse can block shots but guys get behind Jesse.

JB will use Bourama “if he feels good for a few minutes in a game. He moved well and got hit in the face. It’s been two years of not playing and he gets winded…Frank (Anselem) wasn’t ready to come here. I told him “This is really your freshman year.” He needs to get to 240. He needs to eat a lot.” Matt invited him to Carrabba’s.

Joe B. Hall has died. He followed Adolph Rupp at Kentucky and was the head coach when we lost to them in Final Four in 1975 and when they won their 5th, (of 8) national championship in 1978. “He was a class guy all the way.” But Jim really wanted to talk about Greg Robinson, who died during the show’s week off a couple of weeks ago. “People don’t get it. You don’t talk about a guy’s coaching record when he passes. Mack Brown told me he was a really good football coach, has he had to have been to win two Super Bowl rings.” Matt made a reference to “how the program was resourced. It isn’t only the head coach drawing up plays.” As nice a man as you’d ever want to meet. He was a first-class guy who will be remembered and treated very well upstairs and his critics won’t be treated as well. His son Dominick is on the football staff at SU. He was at my house for a New Year’s Eve party. We were out of something at 11:45PM and all the stores were closed. Greg left and came back with just what we needed from his house. Those guys are well remembered when it counts.” Later, during the Twitch broadcast, (see link at the top), I sent a chat message describing our thread that was full of nothing but praise for Greg as a person and my wish that he’d been alive to read it.

I noticed on Twitch that Matt was wearing a mask and Jim wasn’t. I hope that was enough protection between them. There was some talk about the best public golf courses in the area. I was trying to figure out how to post to Twitch and didn’t make a list, although he mentioned Leatherstocking and Turning Stone, some courses in the Utica/Rome area and Graystone in Rochester. Watch the Twitch segment for the full list.

Coach watches NFL Red Zone, as I do and wonders why you would ever watch a full game, as I do and why the NFL’s sponsors let them do it without commercials, as I do.

Somebody asked if Duke will “destroy us from three”. Jim: “It hasn’t happened yet. It’s Duke’s athleticism that scares me.”

Somebody asked if officiating has gotten better or worse during Jim’s tenure here. “There are always bad and good calls. But it’s too physical. Too much grabbing and shoving. The NBA calls more fouls than we do and it should be the opposite. Referees don’t’ want to lose the game for a team.” [Well, when the referees make the wrong call, (Wake Forest and the “jacket game”, above) or don’t make a call when it should clearly be made, that can lose a game for a team, too!]

What about analytics? “Tablets aren’t going to win games. It’s your feel for the game You don’t need analytics to know that a play worked. Other sports are different. They are slower and how often a pitcher gets a guy out matters.”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom