The Jim Boeheim Show - before Virginia | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show - before Virginia

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show is at Carrabba's Italian Grill at 550 Towne Drive, Fayetteville, NY. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which usually begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.
Their schedule: The AmeriCU Jim Boeheim Show Begins Tonight! - Syracuse University Athletics

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | Live News, Sports, Music, and Podcasts
There’s now a third segment where Jim and Gomez can be seen on camera at:
The early shows tend to be in a one hour format. I'll post a summary of them the same night. If they go back to the 2 hour format, I may split it up between the items directly related to the team, which I will post that night and the other stuff, which I will post the next day.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

1st Segment Question:

“Against Colgate we took a 17-2 lead. The rest of the half was 26-44. Against Brown we took a 16-4 lead. The rest of the half was 22-28. Against Cornell we took a 17-2 lead. The rest of the half was 17-27. In the second half against Brown we started out 23-6 and the rest of the half was 32-24. We build on the lead instead of letting it slip away. What was the difference?”

2nd Segment Question:

“Considering the loss of two non-conference games to the ACC's extended schedule and the mess we are in at the moment, isn't it asking too much to also play in a three-games-in-three-nights tournament, the Acc-Big Ten challenge and multiple games against former Big East rivals? Shouldn’t we lighten up future schedules a bit?”

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. The quotes may not be verbatim –they are from my scribbled notes. I have not knowingly changed the meaning. In recent years they have started out doing one hour shows and then shifted to two hour shows in January. When they do two hour shows. I might do two posts: one on the night of the broadcast on the issues directly relating to the team on the other the next days on other things that were talked about.)

First three announcements: the Virginia game has been moved from 8PM Saturday to 6PM, (but you knew that). There will be no Coach’s Show next week as the team will be on the road, (they play at Miami on Wednesday and then go to Wake Forest on Saturday and will come back to Syracuse after that game. Finally, there is now a third segment to the show, on ‘Twitch’ which can be seen here: Twitch This one lasted from 8:30-8:50. You can actually see JB and Gomez at Carrabba’s, (although JB wondered why you’d want to). I have included that segment in my summary below.

JB told Matt Park “These games were helpful to get games in. Brown and Cornell are in the higher echelon of the Ivy League. Our offense was good. Our defense is better but still not good. Cornell ahd five perimeter guys who can shoot. Two guys are over 50% from three. Boothby is one of the best shooters I’ve seen- he just drops it in the middle. They were doing pull up jump shots off the dribble for threes. You don’t expect that. We limited other things and forced 22 turnovers. The one bad thing was our turnovers against simple double teams. Cole is putting the ball on the floor and making good plays. This was Joe’s first bad shooting game but then we had Cole making shots. That’s why it’s good to have so many shooters. Cornell was not even looking to score inside. That’s hard to adjust to. Jesse’s a 7 footer but with no background in basketball and it takes a while. 7 foot vs. 6-2 is not an easy match-up. ”

I called in during a commercial break but the producer didn’t’ answer until the show had begun again. When I was able to listen to it again, they were discussing Covid. JB: “The good news is that my guys didn’t get sick for 2-3 weeks One thing we know is that nobody knows anything about this. We can’t take 10 day breaks for everybody. Then there’s the 30% of the population that isn’t vaccinated. There’s a good chance you won get sick. Just be aware of who is around you.” Matt noted that the Acc had rescinded the forfeiture rule.

I asked my question about getting off to good starts, then letting the other team back in the game. There’s a misconception that outscoring a team 17-2 means that your going to get 17 of the enxt19 points, too. The other team is playing and can make shots. We stopped scoring. Against Villanova we had pretty good defense but poor offense. We’re getting better offensively and a little better defensively. We are showing up in the national rankings on offense.” What I got out of that is that the key to capitalizing on a great start is to keep scoring: the other team will eventually make shots and start scoring. The remarkable thing about 17-2 and 16-4 isn’t the 16 or 17. It’s the 2 and the 4. That will change. You want to keep the 16 or 17 going.

There was a bowl game on between Tennessee and Purdue that went into overtime at 45-45, with both teams having over 600 yards. JB was not impressed. “I’m a fan of all sports but not of watching bowl games. They are just glorified exhibition games and excuses to play and practice more. Once you get a playoff that’s it. With 12 teams they will mean even less. I don’t know the ratings but I can’t imagine that many people are watching.” Matt said that he’d read those ratings are actually up. JB: “From what? From bad?” Matt suggested that with Covid, more people are home. JB said that the schools want to play the game “because they’ve sold 15,000 tickets”

There followed a conversation I found hard to follow but I think this was the gist of it: if you are 11-6 and get three forfeits, the NCAA committee won’t consider you to be 14-6. They will treat it as if you are 11-6. But if you play those games and wind up 11-9, they will consider you to be 11-9. So….?

Pete Corasaniti was in charge of finding someone to play to replace the cancelled games. He was in contact with over 30 schools before steeling on Brown, which “picked up 200 points” in the rankings.
Peter Corasaniti - Men's Basketball Coach - Syracuse University Athletics

JB said that he would be surprised if the Ivy league even plays out their season. Matt said that 5 of the 8 Ivy league teams got first place votes in the conference pre-season poll. JB: “They have good coaches, smart players and guys who can shoot. This is the best talent Cornell has had.” Matt said that they played in rotations to keep the pressure up. JB: “I was glad when #15 went out”. (Boothby) he said that their other big shooter in our game, Ragland, (#21), “normally plays 7 mintuesd a game. In this one, he played 15).

The SU women were down to 7 players, which is the minimum and lost to UNC, who are undefeated and would have bene favored to beat them anyway, 43-79. JB: “If you’re down three players you are going to lose to anybody.” The he said “That’s the one thing the NCAA is smart about.“ I didn’t get what that was – but I doubt the NCAA will be pleased by the remark.

Josh in Boulder called in and recalled SU’s effective use of the press against Virginia in getting to the Final Four in 1996. He wants Jim to consider using that again and to use North Carolina’s “offensive press” as well. He meant their fast break and ‘secondary break’. He thinks Symir could be the key to ‘pushing the ball’ more. JB: “We want Symir to push the ball more but he hasn’t gotten comfortable yet. And we aren’t really a fast break team. Our forwards aren’t runners. You have to play it to your personnel. We are trying to get more screens and to get the ball inside to Jesse. It’s a halfcourt set.” Matt noted that we’d shot 57% in both games. He said we’ve played Brown twice in our history and they got a total of 82 points in those games, one in the NCAA tournament. . How many SU players have scored at least 82 points in the NCAA tournament? 33! JB: “NCAA tournament experiences bind players together. That’s why they always come back or show up on the road for these games. Ity’ always great to see those guys.

They discussed Virginia, who, like us, has had a rocky start. They lost to James Madison, had a close win over Pitt and got beaten badly at home by Clemson “Clemson is a very sound team. They, (Virginia), are a great defensive team every year. They aren’t a bad offense. It’s just that they lost their top scorers and it takes a while to get it going again.”

Bourama Sidibie “just hasn’t played in two years. His leg strength is not there. We’ll use him in emergency situations and then rest him for a couple of weeks. He moves to the ball better than anyone else. He was getting 15-16 rebounds in practice before he got hurt.”

On the ACC: Miami is playing well. Pitt is playing better. Notre Dame ahs bene up and down but BC is playing well. They beat Notre Dame by 15 and Notre Dame beat Kentucky. Every team is good enough to beat you. They are all in the top 60. We have one top 20 team but the bottom teams are better.” He pointed out that, going into last year’s tournament the Big Ten was supposed to be awesome and the Pac 12 terrible but in the tournament, it was the opposite. “You never know”.

Matt noted that they will be serving food in the Dome Saturday and said it will be their “usual offering on a ‘grab and go’ basis.” I recall reading that you have to buy the food before the game.

Gomez came on for the second segment, (and then the “Twitch’ segment). JB said that he’d recently heard from a fan that said he’d been in section 208 for forty years. He said he prefers fans like that than the “ones who stay home post criticisms on the internet”. (He’s under the impression that no one who goes to games posts criticisms on the internet. Please don’t show him my “Downside” posts.)

They talked about Covid again. “This virus is more transmissible. Hopefully it will be like my players who didn’t get sick. If you have no symptoms after 5 days, you should be able to return to work.”

“Brown is better than Lehigh and Cornell is good and we won both games.” Gomez wondered if there could be back-to-back games this season. Jim said it was possible, depend on what games get postponed and when teams will be available. “You might play a game Saturday afternoon and Sunday Night”. (Well, we do that in tournaments.)

“Bourama is not ready. He hasn’t played in two years. H still has pain in his knees. We’re still trying to get him to play something near normal. We’ll use him in emergency situations.”

“Boothby has hit 67% of his threes in the last 6-7 games. And they had a freshman come in and hit some really long ones. They played hard every minute, never easing off. It was good for us.”

“Joe let his missed affect his ball handling. His floor game’s been really good.” (Jim might want to look at some films of those other games, when he had the same 2-3 ad turnovers, even though eh was hitting his shots.”

“The fact that Jimmy played for Cornell didn’t really matter. They have different players and are playing a different style. He was able to get some buckets against their smaller guys.”

“Everybody knows that Buddy’s getting fouled except the referees.” (ACC: Ta Ching!)

I called in my second question, (and told Jim that I'd been in Section 308 since the Dome opened - and am anxious to get home) and JB agreed that “the schedule has bene too hard. “It just worked out that way. VCU is one of the best defensive teams in the country. Auburn is in the top 10. . Against a normal schedule we’d be 9-3 or 10-2. It helped us in some ways. Indian and Florida State were really good wins. There will be 4-5 ACC teams in the NCAAs. We’ll just have to be one of them.” I asked if the expansion to a 20 game ACC season was a good or bad things. “I was not in favor of it. Wee werelosing two easier games, two possible wins. It is what it is. You play the schedule they give you.”

The NC State football coach, after UCLA bowed out of their bowl game in the late going, declared his team winner by forfeit because that’s what would have happened in a playoff game. He said that the NCAA “means ‘No Clue At All’.
JB liked that so much he texted congratulations to Doeren, which is another thing the NCAA might not like. “The same thing happened to us last year. We showed up at Louisville and two hours before the game, they canceled it.”

JB watched a soccer game and a poker tournament instead of bowl games. He noted that nobody whose team in the playoff has ‘opted out’, (as Pitt’s Kenny Pickett did in tonight’s Peach bowl). Dabo Sweeney wants to bring back the one year rule for transfers. JB laughed and said that anyone who would say that is “totally out of contact with reality. That will never happen. It’s the kid’s choice. That was good for Cole Swider. Dabo won’t hesitate to go to the portal if he needs a quarterback. If I had a son who was a quarterback, I’d urge him to stick it out. Transferring means something different but it doesn’t necessarily mean something better.” (Should Jimmy have ‘stuck it out’ at Cornell?)

John Madden “was at the very top. You can tell that he was a great guy. Bill Belichick doesn’t praise people often. He didn’t praise Tom brady. But he praised John Madden. He revolutionized the gaming industry. I wonder how much money he made out of that. His agent is an SU guy. I’ll have to ask him.” Later they found out that Madden had sold his NIL for $150 million. Jim said that Michael Jordan’s price for doing the Air Jordan ads was to own the brand, which now makes him $100 million a year.

“it’s hard to get into the G-league and hard to get out of it. Gary Payton’s sone just made it to the Warriors. About 10 guys in the G-League will make an NBA roster each year.”

The Celtic his 4 of 42 threes in a game. “Why can’t somebody shoot like that against us?

Jim wanted no part of Gomez’s question about the most memorable sports moments of 2021. Gomez suggested Jalen Sugg’s game winner for Gonzaga against UCLA in the Final Four. Jim thought Tiger Wood’s comeback might be the big story. “he’s hitting it with less power but more accurately.”

Jim’s son, (Gomez didn’t say which one), had bene interviewed that night and insisted that Lebron James was the best player ever. Jim said that when he talks about Oscar Robertson, all he gets is “a blank look”. But he still insists to his sons that Michael Jordan was the GOAT. “I’ve seen both of them up close.”

Ryan asked if Jim has ever played the Augusta Golf Course. Jim said he’d done it twice. “It’s one of those things that’s better than your highest expectations. I saw the first one Tiger won there. (1997). It was a great experience. I had to walk across the course to get to my car when it ended. There had been 30,000 people there and there wasn’t a paper on the ground. That’s how much respect there was. They take care of everything there. It’s like Disneyworld. I couldn’t walk it now. It’s much hillier than people realize.”

How pong has the SU team been using charter air liners? “About 15 years”. What was the longest trip to a game you have before that? Miami required two stops. You’d leave early in the morning and get there at 6PM. You’d play the next day and have to leave the day after that. Now it makes 3 hours.”

Bill Parcells and Jimmy Johnson were interviewed together and said that they were shocked at how often NFL teams go for it on 4th down these days. They feel that “there’s too much analytics”. Jim thinks analytics work best in baseball, where you have all kinds of numbers and comparisons you can make. “In basketball you don’t need someone to tell you a guy has hit 3 of his last 4”.

Gomez asked Jim to predict the results of the national championship tournament. “Alabama- Saban is the best in the business. Georgia is too good for Michigan. Alabama will win the final but it will be closer.” Saban had a funny line when someone asked him if he was losing patience with his young team “I can’t lose it because I have none, especially for this.”

(I think next time I’ll do the SU basketball related stuff the night of the show and the other stuff the next day.)

Last edited:
I simply can't imagine the time you put into taking notes, doing research, and recapping these shows, amongst so many other things you do. I've said it a million times, but you're a treasure. Thank you so very, very, much.

... Dabo Sweeney wants to bring back the one year rule for transfers. JB laughed and said that anyone who would say that is “totally out of contact with reality. That will never happen. ... If I had a son who was a quarterback, I’d urge him to stick it out. Transferring means something different but it doesn’t necessarily mean something better.” (Should Jimmy have ‘stuck it out’ at Cornell?) ...
Great post, as always.

One small point - the Ivy League waived its rule against grad students playing intercollegiate sports for 2021-22 (if they stuck with their 2019-20 teams), but there was no guarantee that its teams would be playing at all in 2021-22.

The Ivy League showed that it was the most cautious D-1 league when it comes to COVID. It was the first Division I conference to cancel winter sports in 2020-21. It was also the first league to cancel all its 2020 fall sports, and the first to cancel its basketball conference tournament in March of 2020.

Your post indicates that JB said that he would be surprised if the Ivy league even plays out their 2021-22 season.

So JBIII would have been taking a more of a gamble by betting that the Ivy League would even have a 2021-22 basketball season. Although I agree with Dabo Swinney about reinstating the 1-year rule, I don't blame JBIII for enrolling at SU as a grad transfer.

The question from Josh about trying to run and change the pace of games shows through Jim’s answer that this team is not making the tournament

So JBIII would have been taking a more of a gamble by betting that the Ivy League would even have a 2021-22 basketball season. Although I agree with Dabo Swinney about reinstating the 1-year rule, I don't blame JBIII for enrolling at SU as a grad transfer.
And he would have been immediately eligible anyway without the one year rule since he was a grad transfer.

I'd like JB to avoid talking about other sports. Bowl games are for the fans and players. I hate this idea that sports are relevant only so far as they determine a champion. If he wants to talk about relevance, all but a few bowls have always been irrelevant. How many people outside of SU and Arizona fans watched us in the Aloha Bowl in 1990. The irrelevance of the bowls predated any playoff or the BCS. In basketball the post season NIT is irrelevant too but we've still played in that numerous times. And really, in the grand scheme of things big time sports are irrelevant. All sports began as a way to have fun, be physically fit, and, for ancient soldiers, stay prepared for war, only later becoming something people chose to watch as entertainment.

I'd like JB to avoid talking about other sports. Bowl games are for the fans and players. I hate this idea that sports are relevant only so far as they determine a champion. If he wants to talk about relevance, all but a few bowls have always been irrelevant. How many people outside of SU and Arizona fans watched us in the Aloha Bowl in 1990. The irrelevance of the bowls predated any playoff or the BCS. In basketball the post season NIT is irrelevant too but we've still played in that numerous times. And really, in the grand scheme of things big time sports are irrelevant. All sports began as a way to have fun, be physically fit, and, for ancient soldiers, stay prepared for war, only later becoming something people chose to watch as entertainment.

I think JB has the right to comment on any sport he wants. If it's not basketball, he's just doing so as a fan, as we do, (and you just did).

It's an historical fact that the bowls were never intended to be part of a national championship determination. They were still fun, (I did a post on Great New Year's Days, which I may re-post). But I do think they were badly devalued, not by the playoff but by the proliferation of them and the fact that 84 of the 130 FBS teams get invited to one. It was better when they were rewards for 'special seasons' and going to a bowl really meant something. When there were 8 or 10 bowls game, they were games between the top teams in the country, teams we'd been following all year. When they became battles of 6-6 teams, they became tributes to mediocrity.

As you say, not many fans would have been interested in our games in the Aloha Bowl, the Insight.com Bowl, the Liberty Bowl, the Music City Bowl and others. And that's the point. We were because our team was in them but I'm not sure what good they did for the program beyond the extra practices. I'd prefer a system where you went to a bowl after a season like we had in 2018, not a season like we had in 2021, (when we almost made it).

Of course, even in the current system, we have a hard time making it to a bowl, which everybody else in our division regularly does. But that's another discussion.

I think JB has the right to comment on any sport he wants. If it's not basketball, he's just doing so as a fan, as we do, (and you just did).

It's an historical fact that the bowls were never intended to be part of a national championship determination. They were still fun, (I did a post on Great New Year's Days, which I may re-post). But I do think they were badly devalued, not by the playoff but by the proliferation of them and the fact that 84 of the 130 FBS teams get invited to one. It was better when they were rewards for 'special seasons' and going to a bowl really meant something. When there were 8 or 10 bowls game, they were games between the top teams in the country, teams we'd been following all year. When they became battles of 6-6 teams, they became tributes to mediocrity.

As you say, not many fans would have been interested in our games in the Aloha Bowl, the Insight.com Bowl, the Liberty Bowl, the Music City Bowl and others. And that's the point. We were because our team was in them but I'm not sure what good they did for the program beyond the extra practices. I'd prefer a system where you went to a bowl after a season like we had in 2018, not a season like we had in 2021, (when we almost made it).

Of course, even in the current system, we have a hard time making it to a bowl, which everybody else in our division regularly does. But that's another discussion.
Did I say he didn't have the right?

Can’t forget the gambling aspect of Bowl games. I’ll take all the football they want to play.

It’s ironic that JB thinks bowls are irrelevant, but a coach can lose his job if he doesn’t get to one.

He says that making the tournament is the only thing that matters in basketball too which makes it even more crazy.
If you make the tournament, then you are competing for a championship. In football, only 4 teams have that chance, the rest are just playing an exhibition. I think that was the point.

Thanks as always for the recap. It’s hard to find 5 items for my “most ridiculous JB statements” power rankings this week. Here’s my list.

1. The general discussion of Cornell having five guys who can shoot threes, but then saying guys hitting 3s off the dribble is unexpected.
2. JB saying he’d advise college QBs to “stick it out” instead of transferring. (See SWC’s comment.)
3. General discussion of the bottom of the ACC being filled with tough teams.
4. Bowl games being meaningless because they don’t affect the championship. (If you apply this standard to college basketball, what percentage of games are glorified exhibitions?)
5. Can’t really think of one here. Maybe JB’s comment about the Ivy League not finishing out the season. My read of the situation is different, but who knows what will happen?

JBIII got his Cornell degree. So, in the most important sense, he did "stick it out".

In this Ivy-specific circumstance, staying at Cornell might be considered less than ideal. The league did not play at all last season, and will probably be the most cautious/conservative in their approach to this season; meaning quicker to postpone, and less likely to reschedule.

Plus, the guys JBIII arrived in Ithaca with may have moved on. And, his skillset does not seem to fit with the new system that the Big Red have instituted.

"I'd like JB to avoid talking about other sports."
Show me where that says he doesn't have the right. That sounds more like my preference.

Show me where that says he doesn't have the right. That sounds more like my preference.

I see. You'd prefer he not exercise his right.

JBIII got his Cornell degree. So, in the most important sense, he did "stick it out".

In this Ivy-specific circumstance, staying at Cornell might be considered less than ideal. The league did not play at all last season, and will probably be the most cautious/conservative in their approach to this season; meaning quicker to postpone, and less likely to reschedule.

Plus, the guys JBIII arrived in Ithaca with may have moved on. And, his skillset does not seem to fit with the new system that the Big Red have instituted.
Right.

and that might be true for qbs that leave as well (new coaches, etc)

which is why a broad “everyone should stick it out” commentary is asinine

Right.

and that might be true for qbs that leave as well (new coaches, etc)

which is why a broad “everyone should stick it out” commentary is asinine
I learned many moons ago that it's best to avoid "always", "never", and the several iterations of "every. . .".
In other words, avoid absolutes (which I don't always do).

If you make the tournament, then you are competing for a championship. In football, only 4 teams have that chance, the rest are just playing an exhibition. I think that was the point.
Good thing SU football is not playing in an exhibition this year. They had about as much of a chance to win a title as the basketball team whether we get into the tournament or not.

Good thing SU football is not playing in an exhibition this year. They had about as much of a chance to win a title as the basketball team whether we get into the tournament or not.
I don’t root for them to fail, but that’s just me.

I see. You'd prefer he not exercise his right.
In that forum? Correct. My preference is that he stick with basketball, the thing he is an expert at and why people tune in to listen to him. I'd love for him to join us as a fan on a football message board though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom