The Jim Boeheim Show - Week 1 | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show - Week 1

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Delmonico’s Italian Steakhouse on Erie Boulevard in Syracuse. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
http://cuse.com/sb_output.aspx?form=4
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: http://tunein.com/radio/WGVA-1240-s29191/

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

(Some years they have started out just with an hour show and later shifted to a two hour show. I came up with two questions and sent in the first, which is the question I always like to begin the year with. If it’s a two hour show, I’ll ask the second in the second hour.)

First hour:

"Coach, each year there are three groups of players: those who left, the new guys, and the returning guys. Often the improvement of the returning guys is the biggest factor in the new season, especially since the Melo Center opened. Could you discuss the returning players and areas where they have improved and tell us which guys will most surprise the fans who remember them from last year?"

Second hour:

"Coach, it’s been suggested that you rarely use more than 7-8 players in your rotation so that a reduction in available scholarships from 13 to 10 won’t have much of an impact. What is the impact of that reduction on your program and how do plan on working around it?"

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject)

(The first show was just an hour long so I only asked the first question.)

Matt Park said that this season will be “unique in many respects”. Jims aid “Every season is unique.” But he was just talking about the team, not the circumstances. “Some teams are radically different, some slightly different. You can’t read anything into the exhibitions games. It’s just an opportunity to get the freshmen on the court. You can’t really relate it to games.”

Lehigh “is a likely NCAA team that beat DePaul and Arizona State on the road last year and almost beat Villanova. They’re a veteran team with size and ball handlers. Lehigh’s best player is 6-10 225 Tim Kempton, whose father once played for Notre Dame. Both they and St. Bonaventure are good teams with NCAA aspirations….We want to play good teams. Lehigh is good. St. Bonaventure is good. We’ll play some very high level teams in the tournament, several of them ranked. Wisconsin is always good. Georgetown has their best team in several years. Gonzaga will be really good with a great front line.” (Gonzaga is in the Battle for Atlantis, as are Charlotte, Connecticut, Michigan, Texas and Texas A&M and Washington.)

Jim reminisced about the days when Syracuse played St. Bonaventure at the Reilly Center. “It was a madhouse. The fans were right behind you. I was as loud as any place I ever coached in.” He was reminiscing, not wishing he could go back. Matt Park suggested he could get out one of the old plaid sport coats for the Bonnies game. Jim insisted they are “all gone”. Matt wondered if they’d been cremated.

I called in my question after noting that this year’s SU ticket package came with a picture of JB smiling on the front cover whereas last year he was frowning. “That’s because my wife got involved. She made sure she approved of this picture.” I told the coach I hoped his smiling face was a good omen. The frown was certainly appropriate last year.

“College players improve anyway by just getting older but 15-20 hours a week in the weight room and practice courts give them a chance to improve considerably. We have a limit on how much we can be with them but they can come on their own, (to the Melo Center), any number of hours they want to. Rakeem Christmas used to come two hours before practice to work out.”

Regarding individual players, Jim says Kaleb Joseph has made the biggest improvement. “Last year he was not quite ready because he wasn’t; strong enough. You’re not going to gain confidence if you aren’t strong enough. He’s added 16 pounds. He’s at a good weight. He wasn’t strong enough to get to the basket last year. He’s also shooting the ball better. He made 7 three pointers all last year. He made that many in the exhibitions.”

Chinoso Obokoh “Is better, has worked hard.” Michael Gbinije “is more comfortable away from the basket.” Trevor Cooney “is a good player. People overlook that.” Tyler Roberson “is much stronger and more physical.” “We’re happy to have DaJuan back. It’s a long journey when you don’t get to play for two years. It’s easy for your weight to blow up but he kept it down. ” Matt noted that Kaleb had spent some time playing in Europe, (as part of something called the USA East Coast Squad), and that that has to have helped him. Mike Gbinije played for the Nigerian national team, helping them to qualify for the Olympics. “We’ve got two guys in the backcourt, (Mike and Trevor), who have played in big games and made plays to win those big games. They will be good role models for the younger players. “

The freshman, “have been up here for 6 weeks over the summer, Tyler Lydon for 12 weeks. They are stronger and better and I expect continued improvement due to the time and effort people don’t see. We have 6-7 guys in the weight room and 4-5 guys on the court at any one time.” I guess we’ve got enough guys after all. Coach said that “Malachi is a real good shooter. Kaleb, Trevor and Mike can all shoot. But we’ve got continue to work on ways to get other kinds of shots in other situations. You can’t rely on three point shots.”

They talked about the national scene briefly. As usual there are 10-12 really good teams and about 40 teams below that that could beat anybody. Duke will be good but not as good as last year. North Carolina’s Marcus Paige has injured his non-shooting hand and will be out 3-4 weeks, “But they have good guards.” Virginia “has really dominated the conference the last two years and they did it with these guys. They’ve won 60 games in two years.”

What happened to St John’s? “They played a good team and they are replacing everybody. They are practically starting all over again.“

They talked about some of the other successful SU teams. Men’s soccer “has a great team” and is playing Clemson in the ACC semi-finals tonight. The men’s cross-country team won the ACC title and the women’s field hockey team, after losing in the conference tournament, is the #1 seed in the NCAA tournament. JB said that their coaches, Ian McIntyre, Chris Fox and Ange Bradley.

They talked about SU players in the NBA. Tyler Ennis is backing up Michael Carter Williams, (just had JB had planned). Dion Waiters had probably his best game as a pro. “Oklahoma City, (Jim mistakenly said “State”) will be very good. Cleveland will be good by the end of the year. Chicago depends on Derrick Rose. The Warriors have reserves who have bene in the league for 7-8-9 years. When they shoot well, forget it- they’ll beat you by big numbers”. Steph Curry : “He sued to be thin. He’s put some pounds on and is not skinny any more. Even when he was skinny you could see his talent. The NBAS is a perimeter league these days.”

Matt congratulated Gerry McNamara on becoming a father for the first time. Jim said “They’ve got a pretty busy house.”

Mike Tirico has been appointed to the Board of Trustees. “Mike always gives back to the university. He’s bene doing that for years. The same with people like Sean McDonough, Bob Kostas and Dick Stockton.” Matt admiring said that Dick Stockton, “never worked in Beloit or Peoria”, working the big events from the very beginning. JB: “He came along at the right time. You’ve got to get a break. Bob Kostas was from St. Louis and a job opened up with the Spirits.” Matt repeated Bob’s perennial story of changing the pitch of his demo tape to make him sound older. JB: “He looked like he was 12 years old at the time. Joe Biden’s been another great supporter. He’s come to a couple of games at Georgetown since he took office. . When we were in the oval office, president Obama said that Joe talks up the Orange all the time. That was cool to hear.”

Matt brought up the statues to be unveiled outside the Ensley Building. JB said that he got to know Coach Schwartzwalder well: ”He was great coach, a tough old marine. But he always had time for you.” About the three 44’s: “No place has had better running backs than that. Ernie Davis was 6-3 and 215 and would have been about 225 pounds in the pros. He was faster than Jim Brown and might have been better- and nobody is better than Jim brown. Ernie was also one of the nicest people ever.

They made sure to note that this was Veteran’s Day. Jim said that the university had a lot of programs to make veterans welcome and that SU “Was a good landing place” for them.

- First of sixteen shows, on Wednesdays until the football season ends, then on Thursday as the game schedule permits.

Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Delmonico’s Italian Steakhouse on Erie Boulevard in Syracuse. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
http://cuse.com/sb_output.aspx?form=4
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: http://tunein.com/radio/WGVA-1240-s29191/

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

(Some years they have started out just with an hour show and later shifted to a two hour show. I came up with two questions and sent in the first, which is the question I always like to begin the year with. If it’s a two hour show, I’ll ask the second in the second hour.)

First hour:

"Coach, each year there are three groups of players: those who left, the new guys, and the returning guys. Often the improvement of the returning guys is the biggest factor in the new season, especially since the Melo Center opened. Could you discuss the returning players and areas where they have improved and tell us which guys will most surprise the fans who remember them from last year?"

Second hour:

"Coach, it’s been suggested that you rarely use more than 7-8 players in your rotation so that a reduction in available scholarships from 13 to 10 won’t have much of an impact. What is the impact of that reduction on your program and how do plan on working around it?"

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject)

(The first show was just an hour long so I only asked the first question.)

Matt Park said that this season will be “unique in many respects”. Jims aid “Every season is unique.” But he was just talking about the team, not the circumstances. “Some teams are radically different, some slightly different. You can’t read anything into the exhibitions games. It’s just an opportunity to get the freshmen on the court. You can’t really relate it to games.”

Lehigh “is a likely NCAA team that beat DePaul and Arizona State on the road last year and almost beat Villanova. They’re a veteran team with size and ball handlers. Lehigh’s best player is 6-10 225 Tim Kempton, whose father once played for Notre Dame. Both they and St. Bonaventure are good teams with NCAA aspirations….We want to play good teams. Lehigh is good. St. Bonaventure is good. We’ll play some very high level teams in the tournament, several of them ranked. Wisconsin is always good. Georgetown has their best team in several years. Gonzaga will be really good with a great front line.” (Gonzaga is in the Battle for Atlantis, as are Charlotte, Connecticut, Michigan, Texas and Texas A&M and Washington.)

Jim reminisced about the days when Syracuse played St. Bonaventure at the Reilly Center. “It was a madhouse. The fans were right behind you. I was as loud as any place I ever coached in.” He was reminiscing, not wishing he could go back. Matt Park suggested he could get out one of the old plaid sport coats for the Bonnies game. Jim insisted they are “all gone”. Matt wondered if they’d been cremated.

I called in my question after noting that this year’s SU ticket package came with a picture of JB smiling on the front cover whereas last year he was frowning. “That’s because my wife got involved. She made sure she approved of this picture.” I told the coach I hoped his smiling face was a good omen. The frown was certainly appropriate last year.

“College players improve anyway by just getting older but 15-20 hours a week in the weight room and practice courts give them a chance to improve considerably. We have a limit on how much we can be with them but they can come on their own, (to the Melo Center), any number of hours they want to. Rakeem Christmas used to come two hours before practice to work out.”

Regarding individual players, Jim says Kaleb Joseph has made the biggest improvement. “Last year he was not quite ready because he wasn’t; strong enough. You’re not going to gain confidence if you aren’t strong enough. He’s added 16 pounds. He’s at a good weight. He wasn’t strong enough to get to the basket last year. He’s also shooting the ball better. He made 7 three pointers all last year. He made that many in the exhibitions.”

Chinoso Obokoh “Is better, has worked hard.” Michael Gbinije “is more comfortable away from the basket.” Trevor Cooney “is a good player. People overlook that.” Tyler Roberson “is much stronger and more physical.” “We’re happy to have DaJuan back. It’s a long journey when you don’t get to play for two years. It’s easy for your weight to blow up but he kept it down. ” Matt noted that Kaleb had spent some time playing in Europe, (as part of something called the USA East Coast Squad), and that that has to have helped him. Mike Gbinije played for the Nigerian national team, helping them to qualify for the Olympics. “We’ve got two guys in the backcourt, (Mike and Trevor), who have played in big games and made plays to win those big games. They will be good role models for the younger players. “

The freshman, “have been up here for 6 weeks over the summer, Tyler Lydon for 12 weeks. They are stronger and better and I expect continued improvement due to the time and effort people don’t see. We have 6-7 guys in the weight room and 4-5 guys on the court at any one time.” I guess we’ve got enough guys after all. Coach said that “Malachi is a real good shooter. Kaleb, Trevor and Mike can all shoot. But we’ve got continue to work on ways to get other kinds of shots in other situations. You can’t rely on three point shots.”

They talked about the national scene briefly. As usual there are 10-12 really good teams and about 40 teams below that that could beat anybody. Duke will be good but not as good as last year. North Carolina’s Marcus Paige has injured his non-shooting hand and will be out 3-4 weeks, “But they have good guards.” Virginia “has really dominated the conference the last two years and they did it with these guys. They’ve won 60 games in two years.”

What happened to St John’s? “They played a good team and they are replacing everybody. They are practically starting all over again.“

They talked about some of the other successful SU teams. Men’s soccer “has a great team” and is playing Clemson in the ACC semi-finals tonight. The men’s cross-country team won the ACC title and the women’s field hockey team, after losing in the conference tournament, is the #1 seed in the NCAA tournament. JB said that their coaches, Ian McIntyre, Chris Fox and Ange Bradley.

They talked about SU players in the NBA. Tyler Ennis is backing up Michael Carter Williams, (just had JB had planned). Dion Waiters had probably his best game as a pro. “Oklahoma City, (Jim mistakenly said “State”) will be very good. Cleveland will be good by the end of the year. Chicago depends on Derrick Rose. The Warriors have reserves who have bene in the league for 7-8-9 years. When they shoot well, forget it- they’ll beat you by big numbers”. Steph Curry : “He sued to be thin. He’s put some pounds on and is not skinny any more. Even when he was skinny you could see his talent. The NBAS is a perimeter league these days.”

Matt congratulated Gerry McNamara on becoming a father for the first time. Jim said “They’ve got a pretty busy house.”

Mike Tirico has been appointed to the Board of Trustees. “Mike always gives back to the university. He’s bene doing that for years. The same with people like Sean McDonough, Bob Kostas and Dick Stockton.” Matt admiring said that Dick Stockton, “never worked in Beloit or Peoria”, working the big events from the very beginning. JB: “He came along at the right time. You’ve got to get a break. Bob Kostas was from St. Louis and a job opened up with the Spirits.” Matt repeated Bob’s perennial story of changing the pitch of his demo tape to make him sound older. JB: “He looked like he was 12 years old at the time. Joe Biden’s been another great supporter. He’s come to a couple of games at Georgetown since he took office. . When we were in the oval office, president Obama said that Joe talks up the Orange all the time. That was cool to hear.”

Matt brought up the statues to be unveiled outside the Ensley Building. JB said that he got to know Coach Schwartzwalder well: ”He was great coach, a tough old marine. But he always had time for you.” About the three 44’s: “No place has had better running backs than that. Ernie Davis was 6-3 and 215 and would have been about 225 pounds in the pros. He was faster than Jim Brown and might have been better- and nobody is better than Jim brown. Ernie was also one of the nicest people ever.

They made sure to note that this was Veteran’s Day. Jim said that the university had a lot of programs to make veterans welcome and that SU “Was a good landing place” for them.

- First of sixteen shows, on Wednesdays until the football season ends, then on Thursday as the game schedule permits.

I hereby declare that Hoops season is officially back!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom