The Michael Gbinije What if? Poll. | Syracusefan.com

The Michael Gbinije What if? Poll.

Where would this team be without Michael Gbinije?

• 27-1 or better

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Trueblue25

Cali Award Magistrate; 2023 Cali Award Rushing Yds
What if Syracuse University never picked up Michael Gbinije from Duke?

His playing time and roll has been debated over this forum time and time again. It's been proven that G is a versatile athlete that can player the 1, 2 and 3 if needed.

How essential/helpful do you think G's contributions have been?

Or do you think he's a hindrance?

I think without him we'd have several more losses. His ability to play either guard position is huge. I think all of us underestimate the strain and stress having Gbinije as an option has not only taken off Ennis and Cooney, but Boeheim as well.

It's honestly been huge. Offensively he's been less than stellar, but it's clear he knows what he's doing on defense and like you said he can play 3 positions.

If we don't have him, we'd either see Rak a lot at the 4; or Roberson a lot; and our backup PG would be Patterson, who hasn't even played in 3 months.

I'd say we'd have 5 or 6 losses easily right now. This is based on the assumption that Buss and Roberson just aren't ready right now.

Wish this damn poll worked...

To me Gbinije joining our team is just another show of our beloved coach's genius.

Its a good question because we literally don't have a third guard. What makes it more interesting is im starting to be convinced mike may be better suites for the 3.

Bump because poll is now working!

I like silent G and he has started to pick his game up a lot. I also think for us to go far in the tourney he will have to play a big role one game.

However, I really believe that Buss could do a similar job to what Gbinije has done this year and possibly even bring a little bit more on the offensive side. I don't think there would be too much of a difference but I don't think Boeheim would be using Buss as much as G if we didn't have G this season.

Last edited:
Trueblue25 said:
Wish this damn poll worked... To me Gbinije joining our team is just another show of our beloved coach's genius.

It's a good move we got him, but on the list of what I'd consider genius moves by our hall of fame coach I wouldn't consider this one of them.

We need him, but with that said maybe my expectations were too high going in, but i expected a little more from him.

It's definitely a plus having him, but if we didn't, I bet Buss would have become almost as serviceable if given the time and attention that Gbinije has received, as far as playing a guard spot. Ditto Roberson for any forward time MG has had.

Too many variables for my mind to give a realistic opinion right now, but I like the kid and we have him for 2 more years.

I guess I could throw one more variable in for you all to consider: Would our games vs Duke have been different with him on their team as a junior?

One more thing: A player willing to sit out a year at Syracuse rather than staying at Duke is always going to warm my heart.

Didn't he hit the go-ahead shot late in the St. Francis game?

Anyway, I like the kid and am glad he's here, but I think other guys on our roster could have given us his production in his minutes. With Patterson taking five minutes a game and Roberson filling in for some front-court minutes, no reason to think we wouldn't be be 27-1 or 26-2.

Since they're not taking those minutes, of course, Gbinije is valuable and will continue to be valuable for our final (12?) games.

One more thing: A player willing to sit out a year at Syracuse rather than staying at Duke is always going to warm my heart.

This

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom