The New Guys: Ron Patterson | Syracusefan.com

The New Guys: Ron Patterson

SWC75

Bored Historian
Everybody is talking about next year’s team, which figures to be heavily impacted by no less than six newcomers. Improvement by returning players will probably be at least as important, (I think DaJuan Coleman, Jerami Grant and Trevor Cooney will be significant factors next year). But I decided to take a good look at the six new guys and see what I could determine by viewing their highlights on U-Tube. Some of these have been posted before, I’m sure but this is the first time I’ve decided to extensively comment on them. I’m not putting this on the recruiting Board because we’ve already recruited these guys.

Our board only lets a poster link one highlight tape per post so I’m going to make a separate post on each guy. If you look to the right hand column, (on U-Tube) there may be other highlight posts on the same player. Don’t forget that you can make the video full screen by clicking in the box in the lower right hand corner of the viewing screen.

I’m a sucker for a good highlight tape, (see Mike Jones in football and Deshonte Riley in basketball), so I need to remember and to stress that these highlights are against high school competition, (and they only show the good plays). These guys may not be ready to play like this against college competition when they get here.

Ron Patterson

“Buss” has been compared to Dion Waiters. He has a football player’s body but the long arms of a basketball player and, unlike Paul Harris, a basketball player’s skills. The video shows his outside shot, which has good range, his ability ro blow by defenders, (he has a low dribble and a strong handle), his ability to rise for dunks and follow-shots, his rebounding skills. Another video is entitled “Syracuse commit Ron Patterson: Best defender in the nation?” it starts out with mostly offensive plays but then shows a series of steals. He clearly has quick hands and can knock the ball away from a player with a swift strike. That plus the long arms should make him great out front in a zone. He could also be the sort of guy who could lock down a leading scorer so all you have to worry about is the other guys. If Trevor Cooney can’t find his legendary shot, “Buss” will pass by him like he was driving one.

This guy may have jumped my top pre-season excitement player...I think this guy has a ton of potential on both offense and defense.
I will not be surprised if he starts next year.

Ron Patterson is a modern day Dick Barnett. He actually has many uncanny similarities with Barnett. Watching "Buss" take one of his unorthodox jump-shots while kicking his legs/ falling back made me immediately flash back to the old Knick great. I'd bet that he is going to be a huge surprise next season and helps the team out immeasurably.

Patterson game winning dunk against Tilton School and look who was guarding him...Wayne Seldon.

Everybody is talking about next year’s team, which figures to be heavily impacted by no less than six newcomers. Improvement by returning players will probably be at least as important, (I think DaJuan Coleman, Jerami Grant and Trevor Cooney will be significant factors next year). But I decided to take a good look at the six new guys and see what I could determine by viewing their highlights on U-Tube. Some of these have been posted before, I’m sure but this is the first time I’ve decided to extensively comment on them. I’m not putting this on the recruiting Board because we’ve already recruited these guys.

Our board only lets a poster link one highlight tape per post so I’m going to make a separate post on each guy. If you look to the right hand column, (on U-Tube) there may be other highlight posts on the same player. Don’t forget that you can make the video full screen by clicking in the box in the lower right hand corner of the viewing screen.

I’m a sucker for a good highlight tape, (see Mike Jones in football and Deshonte Riley in basketball), so I need to remember and to stress that these highlights are against high school competition, (and they only show the good plays). These guys may not be ready to play like this against college competition when they get here.

Ron Patterson

“Buss” has been compared to Dion Waiters. He has a football player’s body but the long arms of a basketball player and, unlike Paul Harris, a basketball player’s skills. The video shows his outside shot, which has good range, his ability ro blow by defenders, (he has a low dribble and a strong handle), his ability to rise for dunks and follow-shots, his rebounding skills. Another video is entitled “Syracuse commit Ron Patterson: Best defender in the nation?” it starts out with mostly offensive plays but then shows a series of steals. He clearly has quick hands and can knock the ball away from a player with a swift strike. That plus the long arms should make him great out front in a zone. He could also be the sort of guy who could lock down a leading scorer so all you have to worry about is the other guys. If Trevor Cooney can’t find his legendary shot, “Buss” will pass by him like he was driving one.
Saw him play in person. Not impressed. Very weak on offense.

Ron Patterson is a modern day Dick Barnett. He actually has many uncanny similarities with Barnett. Watching "Buss" take one of his unorthodox jump-shots while kicking his legs/ falling back made me immediately flash back to the old Knick great. I'd bet that he is going to be a huge surprise next season and helps the team out immeasurably.

The old Knick great was also an old Syracuse Nationals great. Two years with us: 1959-60 (Good) and 1960-61 (Very Good).

love how the dude , rather than be posterized, completely gets out of the way and lets him dunk it .

that tells you what kids are worried about in today's basketball. "screw making an attempt at stopping a guy, I dont want to be in a video getting dunked on"

The old Knick great was also an old Syracuse Nationals great. Two years with us: 1959-60 (Good) and 1960-61 (Very Good).

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/barnedi01.html

A former co-worker told me that Dick Barnett went out to Salina Street, having been told it was the main street of the city. He looked up an down the street and said "How do I get out of here?"

(I don't know how my colleague knew he said that. he may have been guessing at Barnett's attitude. Dick came from Tennessee State so I suspect this seemed like a big city to him.)

Patterson game winning dunk against Tilton School and look who was guarding him...Wayne Seldon.

this is one of the best highlights ever. guy in crowd yelling "you got nothing 3. you got nothing." 3 seconds later Buss dunks for the win.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom