The offense isn't broken after all | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The offense isn't broken after all

I miss the run to the right and throw it away, or keep right on going and run out of bounds for a loss of yardage play.

Said nobody ever.
Not to mention that running out of bounds behind the LOS on a pass play qualifies as a sack. Stat padding or just clueless? Really bad form either way.

A lot of offenses depend on that. How can we complain when we have a QB that can't make plays and then complain that we're relying on our playmaking QB to make plays?
I wasn’t complaining. My point was the O should have more purpose to it than back yard football. I have no problem going full running QBs. But then build a system around that which enhances that. Otherwise why even have an OC?

Dino’s system wasn’t built for running QBs, thus it is broken. Give me the Rich Rod system which will make the team better.

I wasn’t complaining. My point was the O should have more purpose to it than back yard football. I have no problem going full running QBs. But then build a system around that which enhances that. Otherwise why even have an OC?
I think some of what we do is by design to make teams focus on either Tucker or Shrader and make them pay with the other. Our passing game isn't what we want and I suspect not what Shrader or the coaches want either. I think we've seen some improvement there and will see more small improvement. We're relying on his athleticism while everyone evolves. It's not that different than what we asked Dungey to do except he had better recievers and was a better passer.

Last edited:
I think some of what we do is by design to make teams focus on either Tucker or Shrader and make them pay with the other. Our passing game isn't what we want and I suspect ot what Shrader or the coaches want either. I think we've seen some improvement there and will see more small improvement. We're relying on his athleticism while everyone evolves. It's not that different than what we asked Dungey to do except he had better recievers and was a better passer.

Agreed. Prior to the Liberty game, the offense was all Tucker. As great as he is, that wasn't going to fly against ACC caliber opponents.

So when Shrader substituted for DeVito, now there's another threat. Not only can the kid run [understatement], but by rolling him out to either side, we can make teams pay for stacking the box and / or selling out to stop the run, because he has the RPO and can pass it.

Now, the first few games, they were VERY conservative with how they were using the passing game, but it looks like Shrader is getting more comfortable slinging it. Our WRs are pedestrian this year, but we seem to be trending towards having more balance.

Because the balance is really just to compliment the tremendous running game we're fielding this season.

Dino’s system wasn’t built for running QBs, thus it is broken. Give me the Rich Rod system which will make the team better.
I think we saw some Rich Rod type stuff last game. Hopefully they keep expanding it with more.

Hope not, but I imagine the deeper ball will remain a problem.. Thats fine. Not a fan of our 2 runs up the middle, 30 yard bomb, repeat, offense.

Wake
Passes 10+ yards: 3 for 11
Passes 0-10 yards: 8 for 10

I'm fine with a dink and dunk offense.

Hope not, but I imagine the deeper ball will remain a problem.. Thats fine. Not a fan of our 2 runs up the middle, 30 yard bomb, repeat, offense.

Wake
Passes 10+ yards: 3 for 11
Passes 0-10 yards: 8 for 10

I'm fine with a dink and dunk offense.
Yeah I like our offense and it’s getting better every game, I just wish we could throw the ball down the field for more chunk plays. That’s pretty much why we lost, Wake had a really good #1 receiver who could make touch catches down the field, and we didn’t.

Sean Tucker
2020 vs 2021

1634063436311.png

The OLine has been MUCH better

Which makes me ask myself over and over...how the heck was he 4th on the depth chart to open the season in 2020?!
Because he was a true freshman with talented experienced vets in front of him. If everything goes as normal, he probably makes noise on the scout team and sees action in the final 4 games of the season, similar to Jordan.

Which makes me ask myself over and over...how the heck was he 4th on the depth chart to open the season in 2020?!
Makes me wonder if we see him for his 1st 2-3 years on campus if Adams and Howard don't opt out.

Because he was a true freshman with talented experienced vets in front of him. If everything goes as normal, he probably makes noise on the scout team and sees action in the final 4 games of the season, similar to Jordan.

Not sure if you're saying this tongue in cheek. But the talent is undeniable. If a novice like me can see it, I'd hope great football minds on our staff could identify it after 4 weeks of practice.

We don’t need our QB to throw bombs, we have a former WR now QB1who can scramble with the best of them. Build the plays around him. Also his arm is not as bad as some of us make it out to be.
He’s fine on short and intermediate short throws.

he’s so-so on intermediate long throws.

His deep throws are the real issue. We are getting behind people deep, but his deep throws are short and unfortunately toward the middle of the field. It’s only a matter of time before one gets picked.

Scrader is too talented, too athletic for those not to come with time and reps. A top-flight wideout would help to that end, too, but this can happen.

I see him as a Josh Allen knock off.

I wish Schrader could spend his off-season working mechanically with Jordan Palmer or Tom House. That would smooth things out just enough and (assuming he bought in) he'd thrive.
Agreed he only needs to improve his deep throws from terrible to so-so in order to keep defenses honest.

Not sure if you're saying this tongue in cheek. But the talent is undeniable. If a novice like me can see it, I'd hope great football minds on our staff could identify it after 4 weeks of practice.
Absolutely not tongue in cheek. He was a freshman. He still had to learn the offense and there's more to playing running back than running. There's only so much full contact scrimmaging in preseason practice to show how you break tackles and make guys miss at full speed and the reps are split. As I said, I'm sure he would have turned heads on the scout team going against the 1st team defense during the season and earned a bunch of snaps this year.

Fwiw, I heard that it was likely planned that Jordan was going to be the starter had he returned.

Last edited:
Absolutely not tongue in cheek. He was a freshman. He still had to learn the offense and there's more to playing running back than running. There's only so much full contact scrimmaging in preseason practice to show how you break tackles and makes guys miss at full speed and the reps are split. As I said, I'm sure he would have turned heads on the scout team going against the 1st team defense during the season and earn a bunch of snaps this year.

Fwiw, I heard that it was likely planned that Jordan was going to be the starter had he returned.
That's wild. And I loved Jordan.

Would have liked to have seen what he could have done with this offensive line.

Absolutely not tongue in cheek. He was a freshman. He still had to learn the offense and there's more to playing running back than running. There's only so much full contact scrimmaging in preseason practice to show how you break tackles and makes guys miss at full speed and the reps are split. As I said, I'm sure he would have turned heads on the scout team going against the 1st team defense during the season and earn a bunch of snaps this year.

I doubt that.

if that was the case, why leave?

Agreed he only needs to improve his deep throws from terrible to so-so in order to keep defenses honest.
some of that is deciding too late to make the throw then mechanics break down. he had several guys open deep last week and he didnt even attempt the throw . its almost like he has to know thats where its going or he cant do it at all

The thing that concerns me,,,
The number of hits Shrader and Tucker are taking. As the seasons drags on...games 8-10, these guys carrying the rock 50 times a game is going to show itself. We need Abdul Adams to have maybe 6 carries a game and utilize the TE maybe 3 times a game via passes.
I gotta feeling Venables(Clemson DC) will NOT let Shrader's wheels beat us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom