The Official 'Is Rutgers a rival?' thread | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

The Official 'Is Rutgers a rival?' thread

Rocco said:
You are clearly an old goat, and I respect and admire that. You also need to grasp that the younger fans today (the ones that will continue buying a greater share of the tickets), consider RU an actual enemy in football (enough of the internet BS... it's turned into NY vs NJ). It would be great if we still got to play WVU and VT every year because they also bring distaste to one's mouth, but unfortunately, we will likely never play WVU again outside of a bowl game and VT we get once every 6-7 years because of ACC play. The baby boomer time of SU football was fun, for those who got to experience it. For people under the age of 40 (many here), Rutgers is way closer to a football "rival" than Ped St. Pitt and BC are just not candidates IMO. If we could go back to playing WVU and VT every year, sign me up. No need to discredit someone though for not taking into account the success of SU over Rutgers in the pre-2000's. I mean, hell, look at how much of a player China has become in the world economy. 60-70 years ago, no one would've thought their rise would've been that intense, that quickly. Times do change, Grasshopper.

Time keeps on slipping into the future

I don't know what "beginning to feel a rivalry" means.

This thread has over 200,000 views, which is 60K more than the population of the city of Syracuse. You don't get that number of posts without some semblance of a rivalry.

Last edited:
Townie72 said:
More mythology. SU never had that many New Jersey recruits. And Rutgers doesn't get many of the good ones. They built their program on Florida kids. I don't know what "beginning to feel a rivalry" means. Seems like pretty low-level stuff to be even considered any kind rivalry. You don't represent the whole fan base. I don't know one Rutgers fan. There aren't really that many of them you know. They couldn't get 20,000 to a game in most of the years we played them. It's a strange world in which the teams that we have played for 50+ years like Pitt and BC and WVU aren't considered "rivals" by some but that status is conferred on one of the worst programs ever in college sports. Again, you have the bar set way, way to low to be a rivalry. Do you know the cheer that the Duke fans used to cut Maryland fans to the quick. "You are not our rival". Listen and learn, Grasshopper.

Who in the last 10-12 years is closer to being a rival?

You are clearly an old goat, and I respect and admire that.

You also need to grasp that the younger fans today (the ones that will continue buying a greater share of the tickets), consider RU an actual enemy in football (enough of the internet BS... it's turned into NY vs NJ). It would be great if we still got to play WVU and VT every year because they also bring distaste to one's mouth, but unfortunately, we will likely never play WVU again outside of a bowl game and VT we get once every 6-7 years because of ACC play.

The baby boomer time of SU football was fun, for those who got to experience it. For people under the age of 40 (many here), Rutgers is way closer to a football "rival" than Ped St. Pitt and BC are just not candidates IMO. If we could go back to playing WVU and VT every year, sign me up.

No need to discredit someone though for not taking into account the success of SU over Rutgers in the pre-2000's. I mean, hell, look at how much of a player China has become in the world economy. 60-70 years ago, no one would've thought their rise would've been that intense, that quickly.

Times do change, Grasshopper.

Just tell me what your criteria are for a Rivalry.

And we'll see if they are good ones and if other schools match up better than Rutgers against your own criteria.

I can't come up with any criteria that produce that result other than "We don't like em".

Let me suggest that anyone that thinks Rutgers is a rival doesn't know what a rivalry is.

Who in the last 10-12 years is closer to being a rival?

Using the total lack of criteria, I'd say anybody we played.

We never played a meaningful game against them, unless you want to call the super-embarrasing loss to an 0-10 RU team that cost Pasqualoni is job.

I can't think of a single RU player that has been a villain that the SU fans hate. (I can think of dozens of Georgetown basketballers.)

Let me suggest that anyone that thinks Rutgers is a rival doesn't know what a rivalry is.

rivalry
noun ri·val·ry \ˈrī-vəl-rē\
  • : a state or situation in which people on a message board get so fired up by the mere mentioning of a particular opponent, that they make over 3,000 posts and 200,000 views in one thread about it.

Last edited:

We never played a meaningful game against them, unless you want to call the super-embarrasing loss to an 0-10 RU team that cost Pasqualoni is job.

I can't think of a single RU player that has been a villain that the SU fans hate. (I can think of dozens of Georgetown basketballers.)

Ray Rice might fit that since he left us for them and wen't on to be the most decorated player for RU. I think Greg Schiano, especially reading this board while he was the HC , fits the villain role.

Townie we have several rivals in basketball

We have lost all our rivals in football...sorry Pitt and BC are not hated rivals...Rutgers and UConn are since we were relegated from a Top 25 program to the current state the last 15 years or so.

rivalry
noun ri·val·ry \ˈrī-vəl-rē\
  • : a state or situation in which people on a message board get so fired up by the mere mentioning of a particular opponent, that they make over 200,000 posts in one thread about it.
You mean views...not posts.

Ray Rice might fit that since he left us for them and wen't on to be the most decorated player for RU. I think Greg Schiano, especially reading this board while he was the HC , fits the villain role.
Brian Leonard is another...

And we'll see if they are good ones and if other schools match up better than Rutgers against your own criteria.

I can't come up with any criteria that produce that result other than "We don't like em".

I don't necessarily have criteria for a rivalry. I guess I'm not sure why we need an actual definition in order to say if one is a rival or not.

Look, it doesn't matter because we will never play Rutgers or West Virginia or Penn St again (at least for the foreseeable future).

Conference realignment is fun and all, but if given a choice, I would play BC, Pitt, Penn St, Rutty, WVU, VT, Army and Miami every year.

If you are an SU fan and you feel that RU is our rival it is very sad to be in that generation and shows how low SU football has become. Please don't tell others that RU is our rival, we already get ridiculed nationally for being bad over the last 15 years. There is no reason to give them something else to make fun of SU about.

my criteria seems to fall in line with others who say they are a Rival or the closest thing we've had to one in awhile. Rivalries have hate and vitriol infused in them, it's not just about records or the competitiveness of games during certain time periods. Its born when both fan bases have a deep disdain/hatred for each other. We share the same recruiting grounds, I don't care of they don't get the cream of the crop from Jersey because that forces them lower and we've basically been shut down with any NJ players with D1 offers(besides ourselves) for too long. We have a large fan/aluni base who were born in NJ or that live there currently and we both have a lot of alumnus that work in the city.

We haven't played them since the 2012 season and arguable the longest and most active thread on our board is about a school that we have played in 3 seasons and is no longer in our conference. I think the Georgetown not being our football rival is a perfect example of rivalries not existing in multiple sports from the same two Universities. I think it would do us good to try to make this into something bigger then it was/is. It might help reinvigorate our fan base.

billorange44 said:
Really, Sugar Bowl? Put down that pipe. Even after our bowl win we were only 8-5 so you are saying we would have gone to the Sugar Bowl with an 8-4 record? You got some good stuff. Pass that pipe over here.

I'm not sure you understand how the BCS worked. If we beat Rutgers in 2012 we would have won the Big East outright. We would therefore have received the Big East's automatic bid to a BCS bowl. That year NIU was guaranteed a spot and the Orange Bowl had last pick and got stuck with them. Louisville played in the Sugar Bowl as the Big East champion.

So yes, with an 8-4 record we would have gone to the Sugar Bowl.

Last edited:

I am totally with you, except you can name Ray Rice and that Lefeged (sp) dude.

Honestly that was the lost era of SU football though so it's the last thing I think about.

Eric15 said:
This thread has over 200,000 views, which is 60K more than the population of the city of Syracuse. You don't get that number of posts without some semblance of a rivalry.

And not a single one of those views were made by someone not on a message board. ;)

I am totally with you, except you can name Ray Rice and that Lefeged (sp) dude.

Honestly that was the lost era of SU football though so it's the last thing I think about.

As someone stated before Leonard too, I still think Schiano fits the villain role for us.

As someone stated before Leonard too, I still think Schiano fits the villain role for us.

I thought we didn't offer the guy?

Again, dark ages.

TexanMark said:
Who is our football rival going forward? Frankly I don't know.

It's clear that the ACC is trying to make BC our rival.

With apologies to Townie and others, Rutgers and UConn would have been better rivals.

Who is our football rival going forward? Frankly I don't know.

We have to get better first before we have rivals in football.

In hoops Pitt, UL, Duke is a big game at least judging by TV ratings and crowds. There is a general nastiness with NC State fans, the vulgarity of UConn people with a southern accent.

Maryland was a natural until they did what they did.

We have to get better first before we have rivals in football.

In hoops Pitt, UL, Duke is a big game at least judging by TV ratings and crowds. There is a general nastiness with NC State fans, the vulgarity of UConn people with a southern accent.

Maryland was a natural until they did what they did.
I think West Virginia and BC both qualify as football rivals.

If you are an SU fan and you feel that RU is our rival it is very sad to be in that generation and shows how low SU football has become. Please don't tell others that RU is our rival, we already get ridiculed nationally for being bad over the last 15 years. There is no reason to give them something else to make fun of SU about.
No SU fan with any historical knowledge would ever consider Rutgers to be a rival in any sport. End of discussion.

No SU fan with any historical knowledge would ever consider Rutgers to be a rival in any sport. End of discussion.

9325080020.jpg

Clearly its not end of discussion, we've had literally 10 pages now with most of the conversation revolving around this topic. People have used examples involving both young and old fans to back up their sides of the argument. At the end of the day we have 124 pages to deal with a school thats "below us" and said schools fans have the same view point on us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom