The Official 'Is Rutgers a rival?' thread | Syracusefan.com

The Official 'Is Rutgers a rival?' thread

HeaterCuse22

All Conference
If they take jobs because of that, then they deserve each other.

Shafer and co. are smarter, bigger people than that IMO.

Perhaps. I mean it may not be the only reason.

Acosta is from NJ
and Shafer could fill a nice DC roll in the Big Ten with familiar recruiting areas.

I was speaking for myself. not them. And frankly I think your comment is a little disingenuous. If you were a salesperson for company a and they pulled the rug out from you. and your closest competitor (read as NE football Rival) company b was hiring and could put you in a similar position are you saying that you wouldn't take even the slightest enjoyment out of that? I would. LOL

Perhaps. I mean it may not be the only reason.

Acosta is from NJ
and Shafer could fill a nice DC roll in the Big Ten with familiar recruiting areas.

I was speaking for myself. not them. And frankly I think your comment is a little disingenuous. If you were a salesperson for company a and they pulled the rug out from you. and your closest competitor (read as NE football Rival) company b was hiring and could put you in a similar position are you saying that you wouldn't take even the slightest enjoyment out of that? I would. LOL

Of course. Just like McDonald did this year at NC State.

But you don't target rival jobs. If the rival job is what works out best for you, so be it. They should worry about themselves first, their grudges next.

Of course. Just like McDonald did this year at NC State.

But you don't target rival jobs. If the rival job is what works out best for you, so be it. They should worry about themselves first, their grudges next.

Which they will especially Shafer, he will take best job available to him.. If it's Rutgers so be it. everybody moves forwards a job to do. I would think Shafer will set bar higher but who knows

If it was the best spot or only job I could get - i.e. A good fit - sure, maybe?

As each year goes by that we don't play them, Rutgers becomes less rival (loose term) and more interesting sideshow. Recruiting is the biggest battle.

I honestly hope they can find better situations. That place will be a mess for a while.

we have a 114 page thread on rutgers. lol But I see your point.

New York Time Piece:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/09/n...n-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

Rutgers attempts at becoming "big time" are a gift. They are a constant source of fun and entertainment for us.

I often wonder what has prevented the school from even being "average" in a range of sports. Instead, there must be something in the air or the water that keeps them failing over and over.

The B1G looked at the number of TV sets and based their decision to invite RU on that. There's no way they could understand fully just how far Rutgers was below the rest of the B1G schools.

If it was the best spot or only job I could get - i.e. A good fit - sure, maybe?

As each year goes by that we don't play them, Rutgers becomes less rival (loose term) and more interesting sideshow. Recruiting is the biggest battle.

I honestly hope they can find better situations. That place will be a mess for a while.

I'd argue that RU should be on our schedule every year as our ONE OOC P5 game. We have a 114 page thread on them. They're rise led to our demise. Its time to return the favor. Schedule should be this FCS, MAC, RU, AAC (UCF. USF).

I'd argue that RU should be on our schedule every year as our ONE OOC P5 game. We have a 114 page thread on them. They're rise led to our demise. Its time to return the favor. Schedule should be this FCS, MAC, RU, AAC (UCF. USF).
An end of the year game in NYC each year would be awesome. It'd be soooo much fun having those imbeciles back on the schedule. The smack alone during game week would be outstanding. And a ton of alums (myself included) would attend - IMO.

Rutgers was never a rival.

Their fan base wanted SU as a rival, primarily because they felt they needed one. ("Now that we a big-time we need a rival" was the thought.)

But RU never had the stature to be an SU rival and this SU fan refusal to cooperate pissed off the RU crowd mightily.

So what we had was a lot of sniping back and forth.

Tell me what the big games were that characterized this "rivalry"?

Think about Georgetown - SU in basketball and all the critical games we played and all the personalities and the fights. (e.g. Graham just punched my man in front of ...")

That's what makes a rivalry.

The RU fan base is now busy trying to make Penn State into a "rival". They are going to meet the same kind of disrespect from that fan base. They are trying to bootstrap up their status by associating themselves with a school with some status, some actual history. That is, other than those rugby games they played against Princeton.

The contrast between their situation and ours couldn't be more glaring:

SU
- AD with football coach hiring experience
- Hired modern offensive-minded coach with Head Coach experience
- Complete staff turnover, including S&C and some Administration
- No decommits

Rutgers
- AD with zero football background, let alone football coach hiring experience
- Hired defensive-minded Assistant Coach with no Head Coach experience
- Chance for previous staff to remain on board, new coach will be having discussions with each
- At least 3 de-commits, I believe

An end of the year game in NYC each year would be awesome. It'd be soooo much fun having those imbeciles back on the schedule. The smack alone during game week would be outstanding. And a ton of alums (myself included) would attend - IMO.
But they've got their HUGE year-ending rivalry game with the Twerps for bragging rights over ... over ... Um. Uh. "Who has the best red unis along the I-95 corridor." Yeah! That's it!!!! :rolleyes:

absolutely

Since Acosta isn't making the staff here, he is trying to make the Rutgers' staff.

That makes me sick to my stomach.

We NEEEEEEED to keep recruiting NJ.

Rutgers is only a rival to anyone under 30. They will always be the team were we put in the 2nd strings in the 3rd qtr for me. They had one good season which happened to be when SU was in it's slid.

Since Acosta isn't making the staff here, he is trying to make the Rutgers' staff.

That makes me sick to my stomach.

We NEEEEEEED to keep recruiting NJ.
Bobby's a great dude. He'll do well wherever he ends up. I agree, too bad I don't think it's going to be here. Rutgers makes a lot of sense for him.

Maybe he could join Shafer at MD. If he has to go to a team on the East Coast, I'd much rather him go to MD that RU.

Maybe he could join Shafer at MD. If he has to go to a team on the East Coast, I'd much rather him go to MD that RU.
either way we still have to recruit against him. imho not keeping would be a mistake. he did recruit nj fairly well and was making in roads. known to hs coaches there. babers mentioned nj in his presser, well, he has an opportunity to continue to capitalize on it with acosta. babers will be starting at zero in nj,li, nyc.

Rutgers is no rival. Never have been. They only started playing football 7-8 years ago if you want to call it that. Rivals, no way.
It's an under 30 thing. Anyone over that agrees with you.

Rutgers is a rival.

There's nearly 3,000 posts here devoted to Rutgers.

Get over it.
Rutgers is a rival to some members of this forum whose insecurity during the GERG years led them to start focusing on a mediocre RU under Schiano.
It's been a pathetic display of insecurity to even begin to consider that cesspool in Jersey on the same level as SU's history and tradition, just because they sniffed a few years of low-level bowl success.
GTown, UConn, PSU, Pitt, heck even WVU, are and have been rivals to SU, because they actually competed and EARNED that designation.
The so-called "rivalry" with Rutgers reminds me of those participation trophies handed out to lame kids just for showing up...and those ROSUF (Rutgers obsessed SU fans) who like to perpetuate said bogus "rivalry", are like helicopter parents determined to see their inadequate kids stay relevant.
End rant.
JMHO

Last edited:
DoctorBombay said:
Rutgers is a rival to some members of this forum whose insecurity during the GERG years led them to start focusing on a mediocre RU under Schiano. It's been a pathetic display of insecurity to even begin to consider that cesspool in Jersey on the same level as SU's history and tradition, just because they sniffed a few years of low-level bowl success. GTown, UConn, PSU, Pitt, heck even WVU, are and have been rivals to SU, because they actually competed and EARNED that designation. The so-called "rivalry" with Rutgers reminds me of those participation trophies handed out to lame kids just for showing up...and those ROSUF (Rutgers obsessed SU fans) who like to perpetuate said bogus "rivalry", are like helicopter parents determined to see their inadequate kids stay relevant. End rant. JMHO

Naw. It's literally the difference in what "rivalry" means. Some believe it's decades of playing the same team where both teams are great, so the games mean something. Some believe it's a much shorter time frame based on a mutual disdain.

Both are fine definitions. That's why no one can decide in this case.

But it's almost entirely irrelevant to this threads existence. It's just fun to watch a team you don't care for make bad decisions and flop around like a dead fish, rivalry or not.

In my opinion (and for the record I am not an "under 30") Rutgers became a rival the instant they started taking recruits from us, in conjunction with being in the same conference. I would have to guess it is the Ray Rice thing. He was ours to lose, and by firing our coach, we lost him. It is a little like Mike Vick, only VT started winning just before they got him. Historically, VT was not a competitor or ours either. In 1993 they were our parents' weekend opponent. They got better in a hurry and as conference members, we were forced to play them as well all of a sudden compete with them for recruits.

Schiano had bad things to say about us and insisted he'd take our recruiting territory, then he did it (with plenty of help from us). That to me makes it the beginning of a rivalry. If we never play them again, we could also be seeing the end of a rivalry, but a rivalry is not built on the historical significance of two opponents, it is usually marked by a specific and personal incident.

I don't think we had a budding rivalry with Duke until JAB threw off his coat in shock and disgust about Duke home cooking. The rivalry with Georgetown took off when JT "closed Manley". If we never played Georgetown or Duke again, I don't think those "rivalries" would last either, but it doesn't mean they didn't exist. We haven't played VT in what, ten years? Hard for me to call that a rivalry. That said we all remember the Brominski throw back. I think our last great rival was WVU and I think there were specific personal moments that created that, like us beating them in '87, Graves pelting them with the football, or the 2012 Pinstripe Bowl.

Syracuse is 30-12-1 all time vs Rutgers. To have a rivalry, you have to be competitive. This is not competitive. No rivalry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom