"The Open Championship" | Syracusefan.com

"The Open Championship"

SWC75

Bored Historian
I realize the British Open was the original golf tournament and has the richest history and the Brits call it "The Open Championship". But do we have to call it that? It irritates me to see American network commentators constantly use the phrase. We have an open, too. So does Canada and a hundred other countries. Can't we just call it what it is: "The British Open"?

The Rose Bowl was the first bowl game but we don't call it "The Bowl", as if there were no others.

I'm sure the broadcasters are contractually obligated to uphold the brand name. I'd imagine if you went to Tokyo in October they'd be showing the "World Series", much to their dismay.

If Lee Westwood (leading by two after 3 rounds) hangs on and wins it, you can be damn sure they'll be calling him "British." :)

If Lee Westwood (leading by two after 3 rounds) hangs on and wins it, you can be damn sure they'll be calling him "British." :)

We can only pray that Lee, Adam or Hunter will be the CGOY.

I am just enjoying the fact their aren't a bunch of drunken rednecks screaming on every tee shot like they do here in the states. Seems to still be more of a gentlemen's game over there. I also love links style courses over the over watered, over fertilized American style courses.

I simply love everything about The Open. Tomorrow I will be rooting for Westwood. If he cannot hold on I hope someone else without a major wins it.

I hate Lee Westwood and that golf course is a glorified cow pasture.

I hate Lee Westwood and that golf course is a glorified cow pasture.

Westwood's a decent guy and a tough competitor ...

And if I said you were a Philistine, I'm sure you'd be pleased with that. :D

One thing I like about Golf is that, except in the Ryder Cup there's no "Us vs. Them" factor. I wind up rooting for all of them: there's personal story behind each one. I just don't want someone to blow it like Adam Scott did last year or Jean Van De Velde in '98 or Greg Norman at Augusta in '96. Not only is there pain for the loser but he gets all the publicity and the winner doesn't get enough credit.

One thing I like about Golf is that, except in the Ryder Cup there's no "Us vs. Them" factor. I wind up rooting for all of them: there's personal story behind each one. I just don't want someone to blow it like Adam Scott did last year or Jean Van De Velde in '98 or Greg Norman at Augusta in '96. Not only is there pain for the loser but he gets all the publicity and the winner doesn't get enough credit.

I felt badly for Stewart Cink when he won in '09.

This is getting epic. Hopefully ESPN won't ruin it by showing every damn miscue by Eldrick in lieu of the 8-10 people who actually can win.

3 wood, 302 yards into a breeze, JM&J ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom