The pearl dome | Syracusefan.com

The pearl dome

20Plus

This was brought up by somebody else and was mentioned earlier tonight to me and I think it's a no-brainer!!

Sounds cool and it makes sense!

Thoughts,Obstacles, or objections ?

Also it was nice to be there last night and not ever once been told to sit down.the place was rocking. I understand it's a different venue but seriously even walking in the concourse people there were just in a much more pleasant compared to some of the people that walk the concourse during basketball games.

I believe the sound enhancement possibilities with the Dome was brought up on the board that actually the Dome's design actually amplifies the sound with the roof

besides the fact that Carrier owns the naming rights to the dome and if the university could get out of that deal it would have years ago to raise additional revenue?

Love it...but naming rights could be an issue.

New permanent Dome roof may change the acoustics....

This shouldn't happen for the same reason we didn't rename the board after OrangeEyes. People die (it sucks) everyday, and many major contributors go by the wayside, you can't rename everything anytime somebody dies.

There are many ways to honor your greats, renaming your building (which already has naming rights) is not the right way to do it.

Obstacles? Well, United Technologies, for one. Not trying to be snarky, but this is what it always comes down to when someone starts a 'rename the Carrier Dome' thread. Unless we build a new stadium, or somehow buy out Carrier, the current name is the name in perpetuity.

And we already have a name for the hoops court.

Sucks, but it doesn't seem to be an option.

Obstacles? Well, United Technologies, for one. Not trying to be snarky, but this is what it always comes down to when someone starts a 'rename the Carrier Dome' thread. Unless we build a new stadium, or somehow buy out Carrier, the current name is the name in perpetuity.

And we already have a name for the hoops court.

Sucks, but it doesn't seem to be an option.
How about the "pearl back-half of the field where the court doesn't go"?

Completely saddened by Pearls circumstance but hard to envision like that...I think messaging/marketing the current or (future naming rights if we can make that happen) ending it "Home of the Pearl" could definitely work...So Carrier Dome..."Home of the Pearl"...Completely honor the sentiment behind the suggestions above non the less...like idea someone had of creating room or wall dedicated to Pearl in practice facility as well...so every PG recruit we bring in can see how a former great impacted Cuse...

This was brought up by somebody else and was mentioned earlier tonight to me and I think it's a no-brainer!!

Also it was nice to be there last night and not ever once been told to sit down.the place was rocking. I understand it's a different venue but seriously even walking in the concourse people there were just in a much more pleasant compared to some of the people that walk the concourse during basketball games.

I believe the sound enhancement possibilities with the Dome was brought up on the board that actually the Dome's design actually amplifies the sound with the roof
Sad part of this and every other discussion of its type involving people outside of SU is that is take tragedy and eventual death to tell people how much they mean to friends, family, fans, etc. It is the way of the world but wouldn't it be nice to say nice things, recognize people we admire, etc before the end?

Domes are named (contractually) for the companies that pay the freight. In the past three weeks, I have been in the Scott Trade Arena, United Center and NRG Dome (not to mention Minute Maid Stadium). When the Carrier Dome opened, there was a popular movement to name it the Ernie Davis Dome. That went no where.

Last edited:
Sad part of this and every other discussion of its type involving people outside of SU is that is take tragedy and eventual death to tell people how much they mean to friends, family, fans, etc. It is the way of the world but wouldn't it be nice to say nice things, recognize people we admire, etc before the end?
I guess I can only speak for myself, but I expressed love for Pearl everytime I had the honor to speak with him.

Domes are named after the companies that pay the freight. In the past three weeks, I have been in the Scott Trade Arena, United Center and NRG Dome (not to mention Minute Maid Stadium). When the Carrier Dome opened, there was a popular movement to name it the Ernie Davis Dome. That went no where.
The Dome was named for a company that paid a tenth of the "freight", and then moved its workers to mexico. Pearl Dome would restore some meaning. Here's my sympathy level for Carrier:

Last edited:
Maybe rename the court. Pearl Washington's Legend Court

The Dome was named for a company that paid a tenth of the "freight", and then moved its workers to mexico. Pearl Dome would restore some meaning. Here's my sympathy level for Carrier:

Maybe the Dome renovations will be significant enough to call it a rebuild and get out from under the Carrier name in perpetuity.

Maybe the Dome renovations will be significant enough to call it a rebuild and get out from under the Carrier name in perpetuity.
Yep. I would take a trip to mehico and talk to the corporate bigwigs there (I know they're not in mehico). If they're interested in a much more robust investment, fine (i doubt it given their slash and burn approach to labor structure). If not, I'd do the reno' one brick more than necessary to call it a new building (and get a new naming sponsor). Bu bye.

Yankee Stadium was Yankee Stadium. But it was also "called" The House that Ruth Built. How about something like that . . . The House that Pearl Built.

While the Pearl Dome might not fly, a statue of Pearl sounds great to me. Syracuse Fan could raise the money. Anybody else on board? Pearl doing a cross over!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom