The Preseason Depth Chart Needs Its Own Thread | Syracusefan.com

The Preseason Depth Chart Needs Its Own Thread

LeMoyneCuse

All American
There's been lots of talk so far about Trudo/Robinson/Palmer and AAM as the second running back. Here are a few other things that stood out to me.

(Here's the link to the full chart)

I'm bummed that Austin Wilson isn't going to crack the 2-Deep. Of all the backup QBs, he threw by far the best ball during the Spring Game, but he doesn't fit the offense. Therefore, 4th string.

The party seems like its all but over for Kobena and Hale. Buried on the depth chart is the only way to describe their positions (5th and 6th string respectively).

Zeke as second string DT. I'm disappointed/thrilled about this. I think he's going to be a great pass rusher regardless of where he lines up. I really liked him on the edge (hence the disappointment), but he seems to be an excellent heir to the Bromley kingdom.

Ron Thompson as the OR starter at either end, to me, means we're going to #13 all over the backfield this fall.

Gut feeling- Thomas behind Kirkland doesn't last long.

My feelings on the secondary: Reddish and Whigham and pray for rain.

My opinions:

Trudo will start at LG.

Palmer will start at RG over Robinson.

Morris will split reps with Gulley, followed by AAM if needed and DMC will be the screener in on 3rd and longs.

Foy will start over Lasker.

Mitch Kimble is better than people may think and I've been consistent with this. I've seen him in person and think he is a nice fit for this O.

Long and Eduoard will both redshirt, hopefully.

Thomas will be ahead of Kirkland by game 4-5.

Zaire will play this year.

Zeke is better suited inside in a 4-3 and will play alot.

Marcus Coleman is a technician who will surprise people.

Funderburke and Flemming will finally get quality run.

Thompson is going to be a beast and will play more than Micah.

I think we see Avant and Estime on the field together at times.

My opinions:

Trudo will start at LG.

Morris will split reps with Gulley, followed by AAM if needed and DMC will be the screener in on 3rd and longs.

Mitch Kimble is better than people may think and I've been consistent with this. I've seen him in person and think he is a nice fit for this O.

I like the thought of multiple slot guys out of Spread/Trips (Avant and Estime)... I'm sure we'll see some other formations like Trey, Stack or Quads. But, i like the ability to attack with all kinds of different personnell. Our bigger wideouts laying blocks on the outside and getting jump balls with the inside guys stretching the field and making people miss. Lot of options with the personnell we've acquired over the past handful of years.

My opinions:

Trudo will start at LG.

Completely agree with your assessment of Kimble. Back problems kept him out for most of Spring Practice but he still looked pretty dam good during the Spring Game. The "no contact" rule for QB's really limited the fans from seeing one of Kimble's biggest assets...his mobility. Kid is a great athlete and has decent pocket presence.

People need to keep in mind that Kimble and Hunt were going against the defense 1's and 2's while Wilson went against the 3's including walk-on corners.

first off good luck at keeping it to one thread.

as for Avant, when things are all equal you play the speed as it puts more pressure on the defense.

as for our new hurry up offense maybe Trudo is just not in good enough shape yet to be playing more snaps. i'll leave that to the staff to decide what is best moving forward.

Kirkland will be tough to beat out as the kid is very smart and a big time hitter on the wide receivers coming over the middle. He may get a few personal fouls, but you know what...hearing footsteps is huge as receivers tend to short arm passes when intimidated.

I would not deduce too much from the first depth chart. Some of the names (Avant) may be listed in alphabetical order -- though he looked good as a gunner on punting teams. I suspect Trudo (behind Palmer & Robinson) might be in alphabetical order -- the coaches know what he can do. Trudo has to be in better shape for more snaps than Palmer; and Robinson sat out the Spring practices.

The listing at QB behind Hunt also happens to be in alphabetical order; same with AAM before Morris & McFarlane.

So, be patient -- the players will sort this out in August.

God our running game is scary good

I would not deduce too much from the first depth chart. Some of the names (Avant) may be listed in alphabetical order -- though he looked good as a gunner on punting teams. I suspect Trudo (behind Palmer & Robinson) might be in alphabetical order -- the coaches know what he can do. Trudo has to be in better shape for more snaps than Palmer; and Robinson sat out the Spring practices.

The listing at QB behind Hunt also happens to be in alphabetical order; same with AAM before Morris & McFarlane.

So, be patient -- the players will sort this out in August.

Why would they only put a few positions in alphabetical order? Why not all positions then?

I'm surprised to see AJ Long jump Wilson let alone where he's ranked. Kimble was a Schafer recruit. Austin Wilson was a Marrone recruit and they honored his scholarship. I doubt any of that is in play here but it's worth noting.

I'd move McFarlane and Ben Lewis to safety.

Aaron Roberts jumped Hayes and is 2nd string right guard as a true frosh not even into camp?

Sloan - 4th string? ouch. doghouse.

First time in a while the OL will average 300lbs?

Why would they only put a few positions in alphabetical order? Why not all positions then?

Just guessing, of course. If you want to believe this is all based on merit, go for it.

Presumably, the assistant coaches provided input, and their approaches to an early listing might not be the same from unit to unit. Some positions have closer calls on the ranking -- example, Flemming & Broyld are joined by an "or"; and the OL coach has mentioned the close battle between Palmer, Robinson & Trudo for the guard spots.

If you follow the team, you know that AAM did not move ahead of Morris & McFarlane by anything that happened in the Spring.

Flemming has not been as productive as Broyld, but he is a senior and was injured last season.

I think a lot of this depth chart is motivational tactics by the staff.
QB- Hunt is the man. It is his team, he is the star. Kimble/Wilson battle for #2 while Long and Edourd redshirt.
RB- Great depth. PTG and Morris get most carries but AAM will surprise.
WR- Great athleticism here. We have speed and size to compete with most in ACC. Broyld, Funderbunk, Flemming, Estime, West and Avant is a very solid group.
TE- position is becoming less important in this offense.
OL-No way Trudo doesn't start either at LG or C. Hickey is a star. Robinson/Palmer/Miller are good enough and Foy was very good last year.

DE- Thompson will be the most dominant starter. Welsh will be same, Robinson and Simmons will be very quality depth.
DT- Love Zeek Johnson inside. Crume will be run stuffer and I am little worried about Coleman and other depth. Williams and Sloan, the meat inside do not seem ready.
LB- Davis and Lynch will be the studs. Hodge hopefully put on enough weight to hang inside. Franklin, Thomas and Moskal will all play and may be the starters next year.
DB- I love Eskridge and Kelly. These guys are looking to decapitate people. Whigham, Reddish and Morgan will play a ton but if there is an injury I think Doewels is next guy in.

Overall I think this is the most talented 2-deep in a very long time. Maybe 2001. If Hunt is a star, i think we can push for 10 wins.

whats up with burying sloan? must be injury related.

Just guessing, of course. If you want to believe this is all based on merit, go for it.

Presumably, the assistant coaches provided input, and their approaches to an early listing might not be the same from unit to unit. Some positions have closer calls on the ranking -- example, Flemming & Broyld are joined by an "or"; and the OL coach has mentioned the close battle between Palmer, Robinson & Trudo for the guard spots.

If you follow the team, you know that AAM did not move ahead of Morris & McFarlane by anything that happened in the Spring.

Flemming has not been as productive as Broyld, but he is a senior and was injured last season.
This could not be more opposite of reality. THE reason he is now listed #2 is because of what he did in the spring.

Looks like a lot of motivational placements by the staff.

whats up with burying sloan? must be injury related.

He's been in the doghouse before for not meeting weight requirements. Not sure if that's still the case?

I'd be shocked to see either Trudo or Robinson replaced. I don't think Palmer is on their level. I would be interested in seeing Trudo at center though.

I'd also like to see Thompson as a starting DE. Welsh and Robinson just don't do it for me. I think Robinson could be better used inside.

I think a lot of this depth chart is motivational tactics by the staff.
QB- Hunt is the man. It is his team, he is the star. Kimble/Wilson battle for #2 while Long and Edourd redshirt.
RB- Great depth. PTG and Morris get most carries but AAM will surprise.
WR- Great athleticism here. We have speed and size to compete with most in ACC. Broyld, Funderbunk, Flemming, Estime, West and Avant is a very solid group.
TE- position is becoming less important in this offense.
OL-No way Trudo doesn't start either at LG or C. Hickey is a star. Robinson/Palmer/Miller are good enough and Foy was very good last year.

DE- Thompson will be the most dominant starter. Welsh will be same, Robinson and Simmons will be very quality depth.
DT- Love Zeek Johnson inside. Crume will be run stuffer and I am little worried about Coleman and other depth. Williams and Sloan, the meat inside do not seem ready.
LB- Davis and Lynch will be the studs. Hodge hopefully put on enough weight to hang inside. Franklin, Thomas and Moskal will all play and may be the starters next year.
DB- I love Eskridge and Kelly. These guys are looking to decapitate people. Whigham, Reddish and Morgan will play a ton but if there is an injury I think Doewels is next guy in.

Overall I think this is the most talented 2-deep in a very long time. Maybe 2001. If Hunt is a star, i think we can push for 10 wins.

While I agree with nearly all of that, I expect Parris will emerge as a bigger factor at TE (more important than in 2013); and I would not say we have ACC speed at WR. We have very good size at WR, but not the deep threats (other than Estime from the slot) that many opponents have. Coleman will start ahead of Johnson at DT.

As many have said, whens the last time we had this much depth and athleticism? A little young and thin at secondary, which is worrisome but everywhere else is loaded with quality depth. Not much drop off when the starters need a breather.

@Stephen_Bailey1: Shafer called early depth charts "one of the most overrated things in football." Plenty of time until Aug. 29.

As many have said, whens the last time we had this much depth and athleticism? A little young and thin at secondary, which is worrisome but everywhere else is loaded with quality depth. Not much drop off when the starters need a breather.

Not sure about everywhere else. Do we have a #2 QB who can be trusted right now? Not very deep on the interior DL, depth at LB/CB is based on Frosh being ready to contribute. Lots of hope and optimism, but I hope we can avoid anything serious from now until at least October to give the 1st year guys time to acclimate.

After the spring practice reports, AJ must have made some progress, I expected to see him #4 on the depth chart even with Wilson not fitting the system. That has to be a positive development.

I like the thought of multiple slot guys out of Spread/Trips (Avant and Estime)... I'm sure we'll see some other formations like Trey, Stack or Quads. But, i like the ability to attack with all kinds of different personnell. Our bigger wideouts laying blocks on the outside and getting jump balls with the inside guys stretching the field and making people miss. Lot of options with the personnell we've acquired over the past handful of years.

We have a lot of speed this year and McDonald will put it to use. I'll bet the house on that. Offense will hopefully be fast to the line and our quick guys will get lost in space and then its off to the races.