The Problem With Making The Offense More Advanced | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The Problem With Making The Offense More Advanced

We had Rautins at the top of the key feeding the post in 2010. We also had a two man game between AO and Rick. This business of driving from a high ball screen over and over against started out with the 2013 team.

We ran it with scoop, Dion, and Triche as well starting in 2010. Outside of Rak last year we haven't had great post scorers since AO and Rick left. Were we supposed to throw it in to fab or baye some of those years and hope for the best? That wasn't going to happen. Also the 2010 team was a unique team. It was one of our few teams where our wings were our two best players. Most years since2010 our teams are lead by a pg/combo guard.

I have hope going forward Lydon can do well in the post. Like you, I agree we should use him in the high post more because he can pass drive or shoot. I just think JB prefers him on the three point line because he's showed he's an elite shooter.

Here's an example of a minor tweak I'd like to see next year. Instead of having Roberson or DC2 set the high ball screen, at least sometimes have Lydon or Malachi set it. They can both pop out behind the 3 point line, catch and shoot. They can also both roll to the basket, and take a pass.

I'd also like to see JB spending a little time coaching up whoever is setting the screen on how to roll to the basket effectively. They often just drift, and are in no position to do anything.

That's not changing the offense or making it more advanced, which I didn't advocate in my original post. I'd just like to see little tweaks like that, and it doesn't even have to happen all the time. We averaged around 70 possessions per game, I think, and just having Lydon and Richardson each do that 3-4 times a game would be nice. It then makes the play harder to defend the rest of the time, too.

Another example... By now anyone who watches any film should know our go-to corner inbound play when we have a 3-point shooter inbound, curl around the recipient of the pass, and take a return pass for a quick three. Why not have that player fake that and cut down the baseline instead every now and then? We might get some easy layups.

I'm not trying to re-invent the wheel here, I'd just love to see our offense grow and adapt a LITTLE bit over time if we're going to keep using the same plays in the same situations year in and year out. Go watch the G-Mac highlight reels of the Big East tournament run, I promise you're going to see that corner inbound play you saw Cooney run over and over again in his career.

We ran it with scoop, Dion, and Triche as well starting in 2010. Outside of Rak last year we haven't had great post scorers since AO and Rick left. Were we supposed to throw it in to fab or baye some of those years and hope for the best? That wasn't going to happen. Also the 2010 team was a unique team. It was one of our few teams where our wings were our two best players. Most years since2010 our teams are lead by a pg/combo guard.

I have hope going forward Lydon can do well in the post. Like you, I agree we should use him in the high post more because he can pass drive or shoot. I just think JB prefers him on the three point line because he's showed he's an elite shooter.

I'd like to see us get Lydon in the high post occasionally, but not too often. Still, a few times a game just mixes things up a bit.

And yes, I'd like to throw it into the post and see what happens OCCASIONALLY. It's like in the NFL, teams who struggle to throw deep still do it a few times a game to keep the defense honest. If we throw it into DC2 in the post, there's nothing doing, and he kicks it back out, what do we lose, 5 seconds of shot clock? Plus a relatively low chance of a turnover? What do we gain? We become a little bit harder to defend overall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom