The reason why I think we win | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The reason why I think we win

I think you guys are in for a surprise. I don't see how JB will allow Syracuse to turn this into a track meet. Nobody has been able to beat IU that way this year. IU generally loses when the final score is the the 50s or 60s. Run-n-gun may be one of your strengths, but it is absolutely Indiana's biggest strength.

Ditto.

I think you guys are in for a surprise. I don't see how JB will allow Syracuse to turn this into a track meet. Nobody has been able to beat IU that way this year. IU generally loses when the final score is the the 50s or 60s. Run-n-gun may be one of your strengths, but it is absolutely Indiana's biggest strength.

We run out of the zone! The Idea is to force quick shots and run down hill. No one can run out of the net against us and we won't run out of the net against you guys either.

Sounds like our teams have some similarities then.

I agree with you in that both teams will probably want to get out in transition, before the defense is set. I think what fans of other teams miss about this Syracuse team is that their points per game were down in conference play because they struggle in the half court, and other teams hold the ball for 25 or 30 seconds on every possession. Syracuse obviously doesn't want to let IU get out and run, as they are deadly when they do. But IU sure as heck doesn't want to take quick shots and let MCW and Triche lead the break. I think offensive efficiency in the half court will determine the outcome.

Indiana can be pretty deadly in transition, Zeller runs the floor like an animal. And of course we like to score in transition as well.

I don't think this is a game we would actively look to slow the pace in, at least not to start.
The curious thing about Zeller are the distinctively short arms. On the block, watching him, I get the impression he plays smaller than his listed height. Obviously, we can't knock him down everytime, but making sure he has to work for position in the half court set isn't out of the question. Against guys a few inches shorter, he doesn't seem to get the ball well above their reach. He can be defended with solid positioning. No need to reach or leave the feet only to slap him on the wrist.

Yogi is a better director than many of you probably think. He is a freshman, but never played like one this year.
Where do teams find these 'freshmen who never play like freshmen. Can we start to recruit that school wherever it is?'

The one thing I've sen over on HSN is about running with IU, but the fact is that SU depends on transition points off turnovers and when the defenses aren't set...I wouldn't be surprised if we run. Our half court sets struggle. More than usual they end with a bad shot or 25 foot 3.
This.

We are so much better when we push the tempo and get into transition. Our halfcourt "sets" if you can call them that are pretty bad, for the most part. We are much, much better when we run than when we try to run a traditional halfcourt offense.

I think both teams run when they can but neither is going to beat the other down the floor off of made baskets. Live ball turnovers very well could be the difference in the game.

This.

We are so much better when we push the tempo and get into transition. Our halfcourt "sets" if you can call them that are pretty bad, for the most part. We are much, much better when we run than when we try to run a traditional halfcourt offense.

Should be one hell of a game then. IU will surely do whatever it can to run and beat the zone down the floor.

This IU team, the more I read about them and the more I read about the style they like to play and from the few times I've watched them, really reminds me more and more of the Kansas team from 03. Everyone thought their break would absolutely kill us, but the real key to our win in the title game, not to take anything away from GMac or Melo, was how exceptionally well we defended their famous fastbreak and got three or four defenders back before KU every single time.

I also just don't want to try to grind the game out because that's just not our style. We are an athletic finesse team that just plays better when we force turnovers and get out in transition. IU might be good in transition but so are we, and while it's dangerous to get into a track meet with them, we need to play our game and hope we can best them.

Should be one hell of a game then. IU will surely do whatever it can to run and beat the zone down the floor.

Many teams have tried this over the years with very little success. I mean they may do it once or twice a game but that's about it. I think IU struggles for a while with our zone because its different and difficult. That said you have the shooting and talent to score and will more than likely not be held in check all game. One advantage to the 2-3 is that teams are always altering what they do offensively. Some teams never get comfortable, some teams do.

Syracuse must be able to slow the game down if they want to win. They can't run with Indiana, not many can. If MCW and company can be baited into a track meet, Syracuse is in trouble. If they listen the JB, which I'm sure will tell them to take their time on offense to get good shots, IU could be in trouble. My question is, does Syracuse have the patience and discipline to methodically slow the game down?

Ditto.

I think we will run, and as RF2044 says, "Ditto" We beat (then #1 Looavul) by running. Not may teams can run with SU. So here we have it, you feel not many teams can run with Indy and I submit, not many teams can run with SU, so who tries to slow whom down, this will be interesting.

On another point, if not for 7'0" Cody Zeller, this is not a game, Cody will open up the outside by being such a presence on the inside, but once we shut him down, game over.

I think we will run, and as RF2044 says, "Ditto" We beat (then #1 Looavul) by running. Not may teams can run with SU. So here we have it, you feel not many teams can run with Indy and I submit, not many teams can run with SU, so who tries to slow whom down, this will be interesting.

On another point, if not for 7'0" Cody Zeller, this is not a game, Cody will open up the outside by being such a presence on the inside, but once we shut him down, game over.
I disagree that shutting down Zeller means game over (Watford has me as nervous as Zeller, frankly), but containing Zeller is key. One thing that worries me is that they seem to have a couple guys who are perfect to stick in the high post to help beat the zone. We need Rak and Bad Mutha Keita to play their best games of the year tomorrow, and for CJ, Dirty, and Grant to defend the wings and baseline well.

I think Jamie Dixon said it best on how to "beat the zone" and that is offensive rebounds. He said, sure you can have a guy good at the free throw line, but Boeheim will adjust that as the game goes on, but Cuse is never a great rebounding team on the defensive end because they are not guarding a person. If you can get 10-12-14 points on O-rebounds you are giving yourself a big advantage.

So, how is IU on the offensive boards?

edit: accoring to this: http://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/stat/offensive-rebounds-per-game

they are 59th in the nation. Not great, but they can get it done, although in their last 3 games they have been bad. Vs. Temple they only had 4. If we hold them to 4 O-rebounds there is no way we are losing this.

I disagree that shutting down Zeller means game over (Watford has me as nervous as Zeller, frankly), but containing Zeller is key. One thing that worries me is that they seem to have a couple guys who are perfect to stick in the high post to help beat the zone. We need Rak and Bad Mutha Keita to play their best games of the year tomorrow, and for CJ, Dirty, and Grant to defend the wings and baseline well.

You're right, I think I meant, no Zeller, and ... ... ... but that's not the case, there is a Zeller, and he's a fine feller, but I still think what will be interesting is who gets their fast break points, SU or Indy. Fast break points could be the difference.

Lots of validity in that post. The key will be: how does Indiana attack the zone, and does their general unfamiliarity with it make them lapse into poor execution?

Frankly, their outside shooting scares me a lot more than Zeller does. Can't let Hull get any pull up transition threes, and need to extend out to take away open looks for Watford / Oladipo / Sheehy.

Also need to have Rak / Keita not get into early foul trouble--we're going to need them.

Get back defensively to take away transition opportunities by beating the fast break downcourt. Need to rebound effectively on the defensive end, and take care of the ball on offense. Oh yeah, and make some shots.

Indiana is a very good team. We absolutely can lose to them. We absolutely can beat them, too, regardless of what the talking heads in the sports media think / express.

Let's Go Orange!!!

Syracuse must be able to slow the game down if they want to win. They can't run with Indiana, not many can. If MCW and company can be baited into a track meet, Syracuse is in trouble. If they listen the JB, which I'm sure will tell them to take their time on offense to get good shots, IU could be in trouble. My question is, does Syracuse have the patience and discipline to methodically slow the game down?

SU is a very good running team, but largely when we are getting turnovers from the zone, or rebounds. If the other team is making shots, we're not going to be running anywhere. And SU is not a great half-court team. So we have to get turnovers, and run where we can.

I think Jamie Dixon said it best on how to "beat the zone" and that is offensive rebounds. He said, sure you can have a guy good at the free throw line, but Boeheim will adjust that as the game goes on, but Cuse is never a great rebounding team on the defensive end because they are not guarding a person. If you can get 10-12-14 points on O-rebounds you are giving yourself a big advantage.

So, how is IU on the offensive boards?

edit: accoring to this: http://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/stat/offensive-rebounds-per-game

they are 59th in the nation. Not great, but they can get it done, although in their last 3 games they have been bad. Vs. Temple they only had 4. If we hold them to 4 O-rebounds there is no way we are losing this.

Indiana is 7th in the nation in offensive rebounding% though. They are one of the best shooting teams in the country, so there are fewer offensive rebounds to get.

Where do teams find these 'freshmen who never play like freshmen. Can we start to recruit that school wherever it is?'

See Flynn, Greene, Jackson, McNamara, Melo (the real one), Edelin, Forth, Warrick. I'm forgetting some recent ones but we can go back to DC and before. Then they'll be Ennis next year. It's just some recent bigs (and Harris) that make us think this.

Yes, Edelin came to mind. Gmac should have, but i remember Hak improbing a lot. Still, i would like one of those freshman who dont play like freshmen on the roster this year.

The Hosers should slow the game down and play the high-low game with Zeller and Watford. Either guy can play from the high post and either shoot it, pass to the low post if the Center comes out, or kick it for a 3 if the wings collapse. That's pretty much how Louisville destructed the zone in the BE championship game. Well, that and the 50 turnovers forced.

A very interesting game in store for sure. Both teams want to run, neither team can afford to allow the other team to run. In my admittedly biased opinion if this gane turns into a track meet SU is going to fair very well. If the defenses prevail then it'll come down to a last possession type scenario that will make me nervous as I believe IU has more and better shooters with which to take a game winning shot. There are 3 ways to beat the SU zone, 1 - have at least guy just go unconscious on deep 3's (we've seen many examples of this, UNCC dude comes to mind), 2 - hit the high post with a player that can shoot the jumper and make the drop down pass to the baseline (have to be able to do both for consistent success, Watford and Sheehy scare me here) 3 - a guard penetrates the zone that can find the 1 openeing left to them (not gonna happen for IU). In the end it'll come down to making shots. SU is going to get the looks it needs, whether they make them or not has more to do with SU's shooting ability than IU's defensive abilities.

Although Wisconsin 2012 was the only Big Ten team we have ever beaten in the tournament, iirc. I re-watched the OSU game from last year and they really had no troubles vs the zone. Sure they had some turnovers, but they went right to work on it and scored right out of the gate.

That OSU game is the main reason I'm nervous for tonight -- Another 46 (was it 48?) foul job interrupting play every 30 seconds will kill us. But if they allow us to bang and play, I think we win. Simple as that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom