The recruit that got away | Syracusefan.com

The recruit that got away

orangepassion

Nunzio Prophet
if you had to pick one guy that we were seriously involved with at one point and think will be really good:

Mine is Poitier. Think he'll be a stud

if you had to pick one guy that we were seriously involved with at one point and think will be really good:

From this class? Or all-time?

From this class - the CT QB (I keep forgetting his name).

All-time - Melvin Gordon

This class: Mesidor
All-time: tie between Melvin Gordon & Tamba Hali

From this class? Or all-time?

From this class - the CT QB (I keep forgetting his name).

All-time - Melvin Gordon
I meant this class, but guess we could do both.
All time would have to be Vick. Having him back-to-back with McNabb would have kept us as an Eastern power for at least a few more years and maybe establishes us as Dual-threat U

I keep seeing Michael Irvin. What's the story with that?

I'm not familiar with that. I thought he was never leaving Florida. Family was big reason.

We lost some kids that ended up all pro because of 9/11 if I remember right

Yes for a former Cuse player coached him in HS in Kenosha WI and HC Marrone didn’t show any interest. Heard Gordon wanted to play for the Orange but was denied by Big Doug.
I remember reading that a few years ago and trying to convince myself that hey recruiting is not an exact science so I try to give him a pass

But then I just can't

Yeah. If you say Vick, you believe that him coming to Syracuse completely changes his personal life path and he doesn't make certain decisions we know he makes in this timeline.

I don't believe that.

Are we talking about the performance of the football team, or being embarrassed after people graduate for their life decisions?

Because we would have had at least 2 really good years of football in 1999 and 2000. We might have been the team playing FSU in the national title game.

I don't think there's a running back in the history of the world that would have had the same kind of impact Vick would have had in the SU offense at the time.

Are we talking about the performance of the football team, or being embarrassed after people graduate for their life decisions?

Because we would have had at least 2 really good years of football in 1999 and 2000. We might have been the team playing FSU in the national title game.

I don't think there's a running back in the history of the world that would have had the same kind of impact Vick would have had in the SU offense at the time.
Did VPI have an athletic department funding boost with Vick?

I think it's fair to wonder what he could have done for our program from that perspective, given what he would have been on the field.

That said, the dog stuff... that's really bad.

True. We had studs on defense, and good RB’s. Vick would’ve been the difference between 7-5 and 11-1.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom