The Running Back Situation | Syracusefan.com

The Running Back Situation

Mr. M

Scout Team
The new offense is certainly producing stats through the air, and it's great- what a difference from the past several years.

With that said I miss the day when SU was guaranteed a 1,000 yard Senior running back seemingly every year. This post is not meant to bash any current players or coaches. And of course the OL plays a big role. But it is striking especially this year, the lack of a strong run game and I think it would be the case REGARDLESS of coach/system.

Compared to most schools, SU has been absolutely spoiled with great running backs for decades. But it feels like it's been a while, around the time of Jerome Smith and Prince-Tyson Gulley including PTG's awesome Pinstripe Bowl performance, that the running game itself has been able to really help win games. It seemed the torch was always passed to the next big recruit; the one position that always seemed to be stockpiled strongly for the future. Even in the post Coach P era (Ray Rice, what could have been), guys like Delone Carter, Boonah Brinkley, Antwon Bailey were fun to watch. Before them, players like Damien Rhodes, Walter Reyes, Dee Brown, etc... of course 44 and the prior greats.

So what happened? Well, I guess recruiting misses, injuries and bad luck have played a part. I'm sorry to bring up the Robert Washington fiasco...Devante McFarlane didn't pan out...George Morris never lit it up and is out this season with injury...Shaw didn't qualify...It's important to note Strickland and Neal were recruited for the old 'hybrid' role. The list goes on- Fredericks brings potential but is seemingly in the doghouse.

I think the root cause in decline has been all the coaching changes. Drastic changes in offensive systems not befitting to the personnel, recruiting misses, and de-commitments. Shafer did not exactly leave the cupboard full...

I really hope Babers can bring stability by sticking around a while, and also recruit some horses - gotta think that things can only improve here, if not this year, then definitely the next couple.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom