The Situation re Shafer is the Same as it was at 8 AM Today | Syracusefan.com

The Situation re Shafer is the Same as it was at 8 AM Today

OrangeinBoston

All Conference
Shafer called the timeout to make sure they got the score. I get that. It was absolutely critical to get a TD at that point.

With 60 seconds to go, you have to hope your defense can keep the other team from driving the length of the field. Then Norton F's up the kick. And you could see Shafer reaming him a new one on the sideline. That was all on Norton, who has never been mistaken for Einstein.

The real culprits are the pathetic defense we put on the field. If Reed and Bullough got canned tomorrow, it would be none too soon. Spielman said over and over that your corners can't just let the FSU WRs run by them. They MUST get a lick on them within 5 yards. Obviously, Reed has never heard of that concept.

Shafer called the timeout to make sure they got the score. I get that. It was absolutely critical to get a TD at that point.

With 60 seconds to go, you have to hope your defense can keep the other team from driving the length of the field. Then Norton F's up the kick. And you could see Shafer reaming him a new one on the sideline. That was all on Norton, who has never been mistaken for Einstein.

The real culprits are the pathetic defense we put on the field. If Reed and Bullough got canned tomorrow, it would be none too soon. Spielman said over and over that your corners can't just let the FSU WRs run by them. They MUST get a lick on them within 5 yards. Obviously, Reed has never heard of that concept.
Didn't Shafer approve every defensive commit and scheme for the past 7 years?

Holding a 20 year old more accountable than a grown ass man taking home big money as the coach.

Ok.
Totally reasonable. Norton was obviously told to kick the ball down the field and he Fd it up. What? You've never seen a college football coach bawl out a player? Oh...might hurt his little feelings and give him an inferiority complex, boo hoo...I know it was a long time ago, but Woody Hayes would hit people.

No, it isn't. His critics have some additional arrows in their slings. The natives are more restless.

Totally reasonable. Norton was obviously told to kick the ball down the field and he Fd it up. What? You've never seen a college football coach bawl out a player? Oh...might hurt his little feelings and give him an inferiority complex, boo hoo...I know it was a long time ago, but Woody Hayes would hit people.
Why is he asking him to do stupid things!? Just run the clock down like a normal person and kick it off like anybody else would. Why are we so scared of kick returners before half time?

You realize that he could have let the clock run down and then taken that TO before the play clock ran out, right?

But he didn't.

And then the kickoff compounded the issue.

I've been defending him, but those decisions are indefensible.

I don't think this game should cost HCSS his job, but he is not helping himself either. If we lose out? Who knows. I would probably give him another year.

You realize that he could have let the clock run down and then taken that TO before the play clock ran out, right?

But he didn't.

And then the kickoff compounded the issue.

I've been defending him, but those decisions are indefensible.
It was 2nd down . If he had the intention to go for it on 4th down , doesn't he want time for that possibility. It is hard to score a short yardage TD against a defense as fast and physical as FSU. Did you think that a TD was guaranteed ?

It was 2nd down . If he had the intention to go for it on 4th down , doesn't he want time for that possibility. It is hard to score a short yardage TD against a defense as fast and physical as FSU. Did you think that a TD was guaranteed ?

1:01 left. If we don't call a timeout, we can snap the ball with maybe :30 left, and we still have two timeouts.

If we run and get stopped, we can call a TO and have :20 left, with 1 TO left.

Plenty of time to run anything we want on 3rd, call the last TO, and either go or kick the FG.

Down 21-7 SS absolutely, positively kicks the fg on 4th down.

He can stop the clock at any point within the play clock if he thought he needed additional time, even though he didn't barring an absolute monumental mistake occurring.

You call one TO to cover all scenarios on both potential downs.

This is basic coaching.

[edit: as noted above, we had our third TO. Just proving even more how bad a coaching gaffe it was.]

We had more timeouts anyway...

CousCuse said:

I think this thinking is just wrong

I'm not saying fire the coach but that was horrendous

Willy75 said:
Down 21-7 SS absolutely, positively kicks the fg on 4th down.

Lol. Absolutely. He punted on 4th and 2 from the fsu 42. He's kicking that fg to cut it to 11...which I would think is the right call.

Someone correct me...What was that kickoff supposed to be? Did shafer order a squib that just didnt go all the way down the field, or was it supposed to be all the way down the field?

The post game remarks that OX and other posted have me a little confused...

Lol. Absolutely. He punted on 4th and 2 from the fsu 42. He's kicking that fg to cut it to 11...which I would think is the right call.

You don't like 4th and 1 and running a play from the pistol? ;)

Someone correct me...What was that kickoff supposed to be? Did shafer order a squib that just didnt go all the way down the field, or was it supposed to be all the way down the field?

The post game remarks that OX and other posted have me a little confused...

Shafer wanted a squib.

Norton hit a bad squib.

I guess kicking the ball out of the back of the endzone is illegal at the end of a half now. :noidea:

1:01 left. If we don't call a timeout, we can snap the ball with maybe :30 left, and we still have two timeouts.

If we run and get stopped, we can call a TO and have :20 left, with 1 TO left.

Plenty of time to run anything we want on 3rd, call the last TO, and either go or kick the FG.
That is true . I was just happy to get a TD there. FSU's D can crank it up and knock a team back 10 yards easy. That defense is full of future NFL players.

Why is he asking him to do stupid things!? Just run the clock down like a normal person and kick it off like anybody else would. Why are we so scared of kick returners before half time?
Terrell Buckley.

Shafer wanted a squib.

Norton hit a bad squib.

I guess kicking the ball out of the back of the endzone is illegal at the end of a half now. :noidea:
ok thought that was it...so where does blame fall??
50/50
Or Shafer for the play call in the first place? lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom