The statistical oddity that is Adrian Flemming's senior season | Syracusefan.com

The statistical oddity that is Adrian Flemming's senior season

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
13 receptions, 109 yards, 8.4 yards per reception, long gain of 17 yards, zero TDs.

I don't know what point I'm trying to make here. Just a weird collection of numbers for a starting wideout. Hindsight being 20/20 on a 3-9 season, I wish we had seen more Cornelius on some of Flemming's snaps.

13 receptions, 109 yards, 8.4 yards per reception, long gain of 17 yards, zero TDs.

I don't know what point I'm trying to make here. Just a weird collection of numbers for a starting wideout. Hindsight being 20/20 on a 3-9 season, I wish we had seen more Cornelius on some of Flemming's snaps.

Weird career overall.

His biggest contribution might have been blowing his redshirt year in 2010 when we were incredibly injury depleted, and playing a few snaps at WR during a critical game against Rutgers where he registered ZERO receptions, but drew a key pass interference call that kept a scoring drive alive and helped us achieve bowl eligibility.

Glad he was able to bounce back after so many injuries and find a way to at least contribute in some way, but as you point out the projection just wasn't there.

Last edited:

The most frustrating thing for me about him is his inability to play the ball. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a pass underthrown to him that he just stands there rather than move forward and prevent a pass breakup/int from happening.

That's one of the things I really like about Ishmael, he does a great job of playing the ball.

I can't understand not using Cornelius! The staff hasn't proven a penchant for using personnel correctly from what I've been observing. Something I hope they greatly improve on for next season.

The most frustrating thing for me about him is his inability to play the ball. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a pass underthrown to him that he just stands there rather than move forward and prevent a pass breakup/int from happening.

That's one of the things I really like about Ishmael, he does a great job of playing the ball.

This drives me crazy! Hey, the ball wasn't thrown right into my hands. I'm only 6'4 and 200 pounds, how could I possibly do anything to make a play on the... oh it was picked. Nothing to see here. Hate it! I've seen him and a couple other guys on our team just watch the ball get picked/swatted. How is this not being coached! Make a play on the damn ball!

This drives me crazy! Hey, the ball wasn't thrown right into my hands. I'm only 6'4 and 200 pounds, how could I possibly do anything to make a play on the... oh it was picked. Nothing to see here. Hate it! I've seen him and a couple other guys on our team just watch the ball get picked/swatted. How is this not being coached! Make a play on the damn ball!

Pound for pound, he has to be the least physically imposing WR on the team. Guy is built like a TE, never have been able to figure it out.

I didn't notice until right now that Cornelius had a reception in the BC game.
A total of three catches for the whole season.
Hopefully he gets more looks next season.

It's going to be a long winter.

It's going to be a long winter.
At the rate we're going, we'll have driven ourselves all crazy with "what ifs" by the end of bowl season. Maybe we'll get therapy and be ready for spring ball. :bat:

OttoinGrotto said:
13 receptions, 109 yards, 8.4 yards per reception, long gain of 17 yards, zero TDs. I don't know what point I'm trying to make here. Just a weird collection of numbers for a starting wideout. Hindsight being 20/20 on a 3-9 season, I wish we had seen more Cornelius on some of Flemming's snaps.

Best blocking WR. Of course downfield blocking doesn't matter if the runner or another WR doesn't get downfield.

rrlbees said:
Best blocking WR. Of course downfield blocking doesn't matter if the runner or another WR doesn't get downfield.

We need to find WRs who can block but also run and catch. Tall order I know, but they have to be out there.

OttoinGrotto said:
F*** it, let's go a different way. Put Omari Palmer number 1 on the depth chart at the Y.

I said earlier we should have lined up Flemming at OT after Foy went down but no one listened to me.

A mind boggling career ... according to stats, he played in games across five years, 31 games, and caught all of 15 passes. Even with QBs who didn't demonstrate much, that's just bad. And it seemed like he started the majority of the games this year. I get that you'd like a WR his size as a target, but his numbers never justified a starting role. I get the loyalty to seniors and stuff, but, really? A guy who has never done anything on the field, is put out there as a starter, over either West, Ishmael, or Lewis? Loyalty is good, it's fabulous for the family atmosphere, but it doesn't trump talent. And talent is what wins. Put it this way: do you want a "family atmosphere" or do you want "talent on the field"? The family atmosphere is great for lower level teams, but it's not going to win in the power conferences.

But hey, he was the target on the INT for TD against Maryland. It would've made a nice first career touchdown.

Kevin

The staff hasn't proven a penchant for using personnel correctly from what I've been observing. Something I hope they greatly improve on for next season.
Unfortunately I don't see this improving.

We have had some good receivers with Sales, Lemon, Williams, and Taj, we don't have that type of talent now

I agree and why I didn't understand why TE's weren't put there instead.

you won't have to wait long

True. I remember when the staff put Clark out there to block in 2013 who what, weighed 160 pounds? My opinion is don't do that bubble or whatever you want to call it unless you have guys that can block to open it up. Or, a guy that is elusive and fast as heck, which SU didn't have.

i think ishmael will get there

I do too, but he's only one guy. We need more. He'll end up getting hurt or have some other issue and we'll go from bad to hopeless. (assuming as he gets older and better he helps get us out of our current state of helplessness). You would think a healthy Estime, a healthy Ishmael, a healthy Phillips, we have some people who can do some damage. Doesn't turn us into Baylor, but shouldn't be this 100-200 yard sh!tshow by any means.

Weird career overall.

His biggest contribution might have been blowing his redshirt year in 2010 when we were incredibly injury depleted, and playing a few snaps at WR during a critical game against Rutgers where he registered ZERO receptions, but drew a key pass interference call that kept a scoring drive alive and helped us achieve bowl eligibility.

Glad he was able to bounce back after so many injuries and find a way to at least contribute in some way, but as you point out the projection just wasn't there.

Funny you mention that play. Honestly, that is about the only thing I recall about Flemming's career. I had high hopes for him, but he never quite panned out. Not sure why?

Funny you mention that play. Honestly, that is about the only thing I recall about Flemming's career. I had high hopes for him, but he never quite panned out. Not sure why?

Two reasons--he was probably pretty average to begin with, but also he had numerous injuries throughout his career. Several of which were pretty catastrophic.