The Talk | Syracusefan.com

The Talk

RF2044

Living Legend
This off-season, I'd expect multiple players to get "the talk." Here's who I'd expect [in descending order of likelihood]:

1. Carey
2. Hima

3. McLeod
4. Taylor

5. Benny
6. Cuffe

I don't necessarily think that the bottom two will get the talk [although they might opt to leave]. I don't necessarily think the middle two will get the talk, either, but they probably should be in consideration.

The coaching staff needs to replace some of these guys with higher caliber players.

I like Cuffe. I hope he’s still here. I think he can be a solid guy off the bench. Another thing is we aren’t going to sign transfers to replace role players off the bench. They will go somewhere to play. I also doubt McLeod goes anywhere after just coming here.

At the very least, the starting SF position should be available for a transfer. Get the right guy, and that alone can make a huge difference.

I would love to see lots of stud transfers, but I'm just not sure he's going to do it based on existing personnel and starting slot availability (and if we're not offering a starting spot, we're not getting a guy who can take us where we need to be): PF - Freeman starts; C - Maliq starts and McLeod is depth (and he's not going to relegate Maliq to the bench, so with Freeman coming I think he rolls with him at center again, and I don't see him replacing McLeod who already used his transfer); SF - easy decision to offer the starting spot to a transfer; G - he has so many I'm not positive he's going to rebuild the room. He needs a couple All-ACC level players, but I'm not confident he tries to get more than one at the wing.

At the very least, the starting SF position should be available for a transfer. Get the right guy, and that alone can make a huge difference.

I would love to see lots of stud transfers, but I'm just not sure he's going to do it based on existing personnel and starting slot availability (and if we're not offering a starting spot, we're not getting a guy who can take us where we need to be): PF - Freeman starts; C - Maliq starts and McLeod is depth (and he's not going to relegate Maliq to the bench, so with Freeman coming I think he rolls with him at center again, and I don't see him replacing McLeod who already used his transfer); SF - easy decision to offer the starting spot to a transfer; G - he has so many I'm not positive he's going to rebuild the room. He needs a couple All-ACC level players, but I'm not confident he tries to get more than one at the wing.

Westry at 3.

I think Mcleod can stay as a back up but we need to recruit over him for a starter. And I want someone at either the 4 or 5 that can be physical. We are soft.

Loosely related. During the Kansas game it was reported one of their players, I think it was a forward, gained 15 lbs of muscle and added 5" to his vertical taking it to 39". When will that happen to one of our players?

I like Cuffe. I hope he’s still here. I think he can be a solid guy off the bench. Another thing is we aren’t going to sign transfers to replace role players off the bench. They will go somewhere to play. I also doubt McLeod goes anywhere after just coming here.
Agree on all of this. Cuffe is legit I think. He's not kicking McLeod out.

And the key is the prizes in the portal who would elevate this team are only going to accept a starting spot. Clear the deep depth for our two freshmen scholarships, but after two spots are cleared we really only need to make room for starting-caliber players.

This off-season, I'd expect multiple players to get "the talk." Here's who I'd expect [in descending order of likelihood]:

1. Carey
2. Hima

3. McLeod
4. Taylor

5. Benny
6. Cuffe

I don't necessarily think that the bottom two will get the talk [although they might opt to leave]. I don't necessarily think the middle two will get the talk, either, but they probably should be in consideration.

The coaching staff needs to replace some of these guys with higher caliber players.
Taylor can’t play at this level. It’s so blatantly obvious. Nobody is doing him any favors by not acknowledging this. He’s struggling to have the ball hit the rim let alone go in

Westry at 3.
Westry is the guy I was most excited about. I thought he might be the best NBA potential on the team. With that said, if we start him at SF (especially if he's next to Quad, JJ, Freeman and Maliq) we're going to have a massive shooting problem again. We need a deadeye shooter at SF since we have a lot of guards who will log minutes who are not known for their shooting. And the best part of Westry's game, other than defense, is facilitating and drive and kick to shooters, but no one will be there to hit the shot. Just my opinion and I hope I'm wrong. Love Westry though.

I think Mcleod can stay as a back up but we need to recruit over him for a starter. And I want someone at either the 4 or 5 that can be physical. We are soft.

Loosely related. During the Kansas game it was reported one of their players, I think it was a forward, gained 15 lbs of muscle and added 5" to his vertical taking it to 39". When will that happen to one of our players?
Yeah, I love Maliq, but as others have said multiple times, he doesn’t play above the rim. Saw that a couple times last night. He does everything else well on the defensive end, but we need more in terms of shot blocking and getting way up for alley oops.

Yeah, I love Maliq, but as others have said multiple times, he doesn’t play above the rim. Saw that a couple times last night. He does everything else well on the defensive end, but we need more in terms of shot blocking and getting way up for alley oops.
Same here. Love rooting for him. He’s super quick with good instincts and great hands, but he’s not bulky enough to push people around or athletic enough to get up to block shots.

Most consistently effective player on the floor but that’s a low bar to clear on this team.

If a defender is within 10 feet of him he can’t get a shot off. You can leave him alone and sag into the lane and still prevent his shot from even going up
It’s not just the mechanics of his shot that are slowing him now. He actively looks to pass first because his confidence is so shattered. It’s like he needs a year away. Actually, he’s exactly the type of kid who might benefit from the old transfer rules of a year on the bench. We’d hear stories about him refining his shot and tearing up the starters.

Not the talk but the roster is probably flawed if Starling doesn’t come off the bench. Only 2 of him Cope and Westry should be on the floor together. I think Cope has passed Starling at this point.

Quality over quantity one center and one really good transfer who can shoot and the freshmen is going to be enough new faces.

Not the talk but the roster is probably flawed if Starling doesn’t come off the bench. Only 2 of him Cope and Westry should be on the floor together. I think Cope has passed Starling at this point.

Quality over quantity one center and one really good transfer who can shoot and the freshmen is going to be enough new faces.
Did you watch the last two games. JJ was the best player on the floor against Miami and Pitt and Copeland was MIA last night against FSU.

Last night was weird... Cope didn't get into the game until the 13 min mark in the first half...

Felt like Red waited a little too long... He came in and got two quick fouls and clearly wasn't in the flow of the game.

Too many are counting on big things from Westry. He couldn’t shoot even be played let alone sat for 2 years.

Sort of agree, but he (seems and looks like) another plus athlete out there, which we don't always have.

Sort of agree, but he (seems and looks like) another plus athlete out there, which we don't always have.
He’s kind of similar to Copeland which is good if you’re splitting their minutes. We need a guy like Knecht from Tennessee at the 3 who’s a multi level scorer. That’s what we are missing. Easier said than done finding that player though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom