The transfer portal | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The transfer portal

Buddy's bene here for four years and Jimmy was the last guy to join the team. Both are seniors and have confirmed that this is their last year, despite Covid. I don't see how they are responsible for our not getting good players from the transfer portal.
This last year?

Buddy's been here for four years and Jimmy was the last guy to join the team. Both are seniors and have confirmed that this is their last year, despite Covid. I don't see how they are responsible for our not getting good players from the transfer portal.
Did I miss something somewhere? I thought that JB said that JB3 was going to apply for a 6th year since he was forced to sitout last year.

Did I miss something somewhere? I thought that JB said that JB3 was going to apply for a 6th year since he was forced to sitout last year.
I guess JB is applying for Jr, Jr. hasn’t made a decision.

I think there’s several kids from the Ivy League that are applying to get an extra year. Jimmy may be attached to it as part of a group appeal. Even if it’s granted, Jimmy hasn’t made a firm decision to play the extra year. I think it’s just providing flexibility.

Buddy's been here for four years and Jimmy was the last guy to join the team. Both are seniors and have confirmed that this is their last year, despite Covid. I don't see how they are responsible for our not getting good players from the transfer portal.
That's my understanding as well, I think JB's presser where he said they are applying another year for Jimmy even though Jimmy is not planning to coming back, created a feeling that JB is trying to convince Jimmy to go one more year...or Jimmy is unsure so he wants the option there if he changes his mind. Buddy has stated multiple times he is not coming back.

I would like to see a bruising rebounder brought in from the portal who can specifically help Jesse defend, and maybe even have a skill or two around the basket. Getting a portal ball handler goes without question too. A ball hawking guard /penetrating ball handler will be nice too just in case Sy leaves.

I have grown weary of watching Jimmy, Buddy, Joe and Swider watching the flight of the ball on a shot, with their hands down at their sides, maybe moving a couple of yards towards the rebound. And they watch helplessly. Its like they have a disdain for being forced to play defense and helping out on the boards. AND that is AFTER they passively try and put a hand in the face of a shooter - and fail miserably - sometimes not even coming within a couple of yards of the shooter. I watched the condensed version of the Pitt game this morning. And when we get our hands on the ball, the quartet of chuckers light up like a Christmas tree with only one thing on their mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking back we probably could’ve used it more effectively.

Thoughts?

Well, sure. There should have been another guard and another forward, at least one of whom can get to the basket. We. have plenty of 3 point shooters but not enough dribblers, passers or defenders.

I'll bet there was some pretty serious blowback on that idea. It was not a popular decision on here, by my reckoning.

Do you know if Cole will be back ?

I would like to see a bruising rebounder brought in from the portal who can specifically help Jesse defend, and maybe even have a skill or two around the basket. Getting a portal ball handler goes without question too. A ball hawking guard /penetrating ball handler will be nice too just in case Sy leaves.

I have grown weary of watching Jimmy, Buddy, Joe and Swider watching the flight of the ball on a shot, with their hands down at their sides, maybe moving a couple of yards towards the rebound. And they watch helplessly. Its like they have a disdain for being forced to play defense and helping out on the boards. AND that is AFTER they passively try and put a face in the hand of a shooter - and fail miserably - sometimes not even coming within a couple of yards of the shooter. I watched the condensed version of the Pitt game this morning. And when we get our hands on the ball, the quartet of chuckers light up like a Christmas tree with only one thing on their mind.
When’s the last time we brought in a bruising rebounder? aO ? Otis hill ? I wouldn’t call rak bruising ..

When’s the last time we brought in a bruising rebounder? aO ? Otis hill ? I wouldn’t call rak bruising ..

Depends on your definition of “bruising.”

JB3 is a bruising rebounder in the sense that he gets bruised all over when bigger, more athletic players knock him over.

Just kidding, that would imply JB3 goes for rebounds.

Yeah, to further clarify -- the transfer portal is a new means of recruiting / amassing talent.

We can't ignore it, we have to use it strategically to enhance what we have on the roster and improve the talent pool. But I see posts suggesting that all we need to do is land a stud transfer, and our problems go away.

I think the vast majority of transfers are going to be like the guys we brought in last year -- for example, Swider, who is a decent starter, but not a difference maker / someone who elevates the team to the next level.

I'd love for the transfer portal to be an "easy button" to solve what ails, and for this down year to be just an outlier, but in actuality what we're seeing this year is the culmination of a multi-year decline, several years of roster mismanagement, and some key misses on the recruiting trail.

If there's a Wes Johnson we can add -- that would be great. Problem is, I don't know if anyone like that would actually come here. Our program lacks buzz, and the negative recruiting against us is only going to continue until the band-aid is ripped off.
I disagree with you. There were a ton of impact transfers in the portal. Texas got like 6 of them alone, even with a bunch of returning players. Not all transfers have worked out and some have been surprises. It’s a bit of a crap shoot and you do have to have some luck, but I certainly think we can get Andrew White, John Gillon, Allan Griffin, Q, Kadary level players, maybe even better. They’re out there. And hopefully you luck out and get a guy like the star kid from Wake.

As Gottlieb said, it smacks of Daddyball, and potential transfers worry they won’t get enough shots.

BIg Rick. DuJuan was supposed to be before he got hurt so many times. Quincy, O'Shae Brissett. Rak Christmas. There have been guys, not just enough of them, or enough good health / good luck.

As Gottlieb said, it smacks of Daddyball, and potential transfers worry they won’t get enough shots.

As he revealed last night, he's not looking at potential transfers anyway. You'll note the guys they got this year were his son, a guy who grew up here and a guy we recruited heavily before he went to a school in this area of the country. He's not looking at the portal as a talent cornucopia. he wants high school kids.

I disagree with you. There were a ton of impact transfers in the portal. Texas got like 6 of them alone, even with a bunch of returning players. Not all transfers have worked out and some have been surprises. It’s a bit of a crap shoot and you do have to have some luck, but I certainly think we can get Andrew White, John Gillon, Allan Griffin, Q, Kadary level players, maybe even better. They’re out there. And hopefully you luck out and get a guy like the star kid from Wake.

I agree with RFs point though about getting them to come here. If Jr is back, Bol is back and we add Brown along with a backcourt 4 deep, how does a kid get swayed to come here?

Orangezoo is100% right -- what kid is going to come here to be the third fiddle behind Buddy and Jimmy? Sure, there are impact transfers, but the vast majority of them are going to be like the ones we got, Symir, Swider, etc. Role players.

So instead of pretending that all we need to do is land one magical unicorn transfer to turn things around, perhaps we should be more honest about our situation, and realize that there isn't an easy button to solve the roster issues nor a quick fix to remediate the overall lack of elite talent / athleticism.

Last edited:
I agree with RFs point though about getting them to come here. If Jr is back, Bol is back and we add Brown along with a backcourt 4 deep, how does a kid get swayed to come here?

We've got room for an alpha dog or two to supplement the incoming class, but probably not for a year, unless a lot of guys clear out.

We've got room for an alpha dog or two to supplement the incoming class, but probably not for a year, unless a lot of guys clear out.

If we need to wait for a year, or "...unless a lot of guys clear out," then we don't have room.

As he revealed last night, he's not looking at potential transfers anyway. You'll note the guys they got this year were his son, a guy who grew up here and a guy we recruited heavily before he went to a school in this area of the country. He's not looking at the portal as a talent cornucopia. he wants high school kids.
That’s foolishness. Then he’s doing a really poor job as a head coach in the year 2022. If you’re not using the portal to help acquire talent, you’re not maximizing the possibilities, making a huge mistake and will pay for it with lots of losses. None of those high school recruits are gonna be ready. But good luck to him.

kids coming here thru the Portal would likely not know JB’s 2-3 zone. They would most likely ‘not be ready” until the last few games that season. What kid wants to come here to ride the pine? JB‘s teams did very well with our zone when HS recruits stayed 3 or 4 years.….and really knew it‘s intricacies.

kids coming here thru the Portal would likely not know JB’s 2-3 zone. They would most likely ‘not be ready” until the last few games that season. What kid wants to come here to ride the pine? JB‘s teams did very well with our zone when HS recruits stayed 3 or 4 years.….and really knew it‘s intricacies.
this is so key to everything syracuse does

the last game the team played is the best they looked all year

thats how it works when the team is new faces every season

i bet the team plays its best at the end of this season too...but already dug too deep a hole for it to matter, most likely

i want the portal pounded this offseason fwiw

roster needs to have
4 guards
4 forwards
3 centers

minimum

open competiton for spots next year.no incumbants

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd