The transfer portal | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The transfer portal

this is so key to everything syracuse does

the last game the team played is the best they looked all year

thats how it works when the team is new faces every season

i bet the team plays its best at the end of this season too...but already dug too deep a hole for it to matter, most likely

i want the portal pounded this offseason fwiw

roster needs to have
4 guards
4 forwards
3 centers

minimum

open competiton for spots next year.no incumbants
I just saw that Georgetown is 0-7 in the Big East. Those kind of early losses killed us.

kids coming here thru the Portal would likely not know JB’s 2-3 zone. They would most likely ‘not be ready” until the last few games that season. What kid wants to come here to ride the pine? JB‘s teams did very well with our zone when HS recruits stayed 3 or 4 years.….and really knew it‘s intricacies.
This year we had two guys who’ve started for 2+ years, a center with his 3rd year in the system, and a kid who’s grown up watching Syracuse basketball since birth and grew up with the head coach. I guess Cole can get a break for being new but there is really no excuse for the other 4 guys “not knowing the zone”. It doesn’t work this year simply because we don’t have the athleticism, running it back isn’t going to work unless Benny improves greatly and in addition to an impact freshman.

I just saw that Georgetown is 0-7 in the Big East. Those kind of early losses killed us.
Totally. We really needed to win that damn Gtown game, avoid the Colgate and Pitt debacles, and then pull off a couple of those heartbreaking close losses to teams like Wake on the road, Florida State at home or maybe Miami on the road. We could be 15-6 and have a very different outlook, with the tourney a realistic possibility. Ugh.

Boeheim has never been big on transfers throughout his coaching career. He seems very selective before adding any to his teams wanting as smooth a transition and good fit that’s possible. He is most likely to accept transfers he knows well because he recruited them originally (Hughes, Torrence, Swider, Blackwell etc) or that he can vet well through someone he knows and trusts like Wes Johnson who was originally recruited to Iowa St by Wayne Morgan, a former assistant, Mike Gbinije via Coach K etc. I figure someone he trusted knew White and Gillon too.

This year we had two guys who’ve started for 2+ years, a center with his 3rd year in the system, and a kid who’s grown up watching Syracuse basketball since birth and grew up with the head coach. I guess Cole can get a break for being new but there is really no excuse for the other 4 guys “not knowing the zone”. It doesn’t work this year simply because we don’t have the athleticism, running it back isn’t going to work unless Benny improves greatly and in addition to an impact freshman.
you’re correct, but my post didn’t specify “this year”. I was speaking about most any transfer coming in, not knowing JB’s zone. No one new to it picks it up right away, while most kids have played M2M most of their BB days…..and can possibly become instant help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom