The transition from Dungey | Syracusefan.com

The transition from Dungey

GoSU96

Living Legend
He obviously made a ton of plays and the offense went through him. It's the same thing we saw with McPherson and McNabb.

When the transition went to Philcox D was able to take the load off the QB because he had Drummond, Owens, DJ, Moore, and Glover to distribute the ball to.

The transition after McNabb was rough because not only did the QB graduate but Konrad, KMac, KJ, Mo Jackson, and Daniel all left as well.

The dropoff between Dungey and Devito, from a pure QB aspect, is less steep and McNabb to Madie/Troy, and the skill positions are closer to what returned in 88 than what returned in 99.

What Eric allowed for was for the offense to succeed while being inefficient. Less than 40% on 3rd down and while third in the country in Red Zone possessions with 72 (which is great) ended up with 45 TD's and 22 FG's.

The question is can Devito run the offense with more tempo, that is more spread out, and get the ball out quicker in the pass game while still being a physical run team that goes through the TB instead of the QB running the ball. Eric was a school yard creater, Devito needs to be a the field general that distributes the ball to the right guy on time and lets other guys make plays.

I for one am looking forward to it. Eric was great but I think that what we see in the future is the offense that is even better.

Two years after Baylor went 10-3 with RGIII (who threw for 4300 yds, 37 TD's/6 picks, ran for 700 and 10 TDs), Baylor went 11-2 with Bryce Petty (4200, 32 TD's and 3 Ints, 209 and 14 TDs)

Eric had a great year, but he wasn't close to those numbers passing, 2868, 18 TD/9 Ints, while very similar rushing 754 and 15 TDs.

I think we can see Devito with a 3700 30/5 year and let the running backs split 40 rushing TDs.

He obviously made a ton of plays and the offense went through him. It's the same thing we saw with McPherson and McNabb.

When the transition went to Philcox D was able to take the load off the QB because he had Drummond, Owens, DJ, Moore, and Glover to distribute the ball to.

The transition after McNabb was rough because not only did the QB graduate but Konrad, KMac, KJ, Mo Jackson, and Daniel all left as well.

The dropoff between Dungey and Devito, from a pure QB aspect, is less steep and McNabb to Madie/Troy, and the skill positions are closer to what returned in 88 than what returned in 99.

What Eric allowed for was for the offense to succeed while being inefficient. Less than 40% on 3rd down and while third in the country in Red Zone possessions with 72 (which is great) ended up with 45 TD's and 22 FG's.

The question is can Devito run the offense with more tempo, that is more spread out, and get the ball out quicker in the pass game while still being a physical run team that goes through the TB instead of the QB running the ball. Eric was a school yard creater, Devito needs to be a the field general that distributes the ball to the right guy on time and lets other guys make plays.

I for one am looking forward to it. Eric was great but I think that what we see in the future is the offense that is even better.

Two years after Baylor went 10-3 with RGIII (who threw for 4300 yds, 37 TD's/6 picks, ran for 700 and 10 TDs), Baylor went 11-2 with Bryce Petty (4200, 32 TD's and 3 Ints, 209 and 14 TDs)

Eric had a great year, but he wasn't close to those numbers passing, 2868, 18 TD/9 Ints, while very similar rushing 754 and 15 TDs.

I think we can see Devito with a 3700 30/5 year and let the running backs split 40 rushing TDs.
40 rushing touchdowns?

40 rushing touchdowns?

His total numbers add up to 70 TDs rushing and passing. We scored, what, 58 TDs this year? An extra TD a game and we're there. As Babers said, we left some meat on the bones.

His total numbers add up to 70 TDs rushing and passing. We scored, what, 58 TDs this year? An extra TD a game and we're there. As Babers said, we left some meat on the bones.

22 passing. 38 rushing. 2 on specials

Nice write up, Go. I like DeVito, but I expect the transition to be rougher than most. Dungey's contribution is hard to overestimate ... some are taking for granted all his spectacular rushing plays. The guy was a total field warrior who put the team on his back at crunch time ... hurdling dudes, abusing safeties, juking NFL-quality LB's, all the SU records he set.

So the $64k question is if and when DeVito's passing skills will be =/> Dungey's creativity, size and strength? The staff's hope (and most fans') is sooner than later. My guess is that it might take half a season or more.

DeVito will benefit from is: 1) range on the deep ball; 2) accuracy; 3) better check-down ability once he gets comfortable; 4) running balance with Adams, Neal and Howard; and 5) better and deeper receiver corps (T-Jackson & Harris, Jordan working into the slot, depth via the Johnsons, Queeley, Hendrix, RTB, etc).

The challenges are: 1) lack of experience dealing with all the defensive looks that will be thrown at him; 2) integrating OL replacements for K-Mart, Conway and Roberts ... which will limit the running game; 3) if the OL's PP breaks down, not having the scrambling/creativity/clutch play of Dungey; and 4) leadership.

One last observation - if reports on Amy are true, we might have as much QB depth next year as this year.

Last edited:
Tommy will benefit from the best rushing attack we’ve had in a decade paired with outstanding talent at wide receiver. Judging by the zip on his ball and his constant downfield attacking, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him break 3500 yards passing fairly easily.

This offense does expect the QB to tuck and run as well and while TD and Chance may not be as much "school yard style", they both look plenty capable to scramble. TD looks very fast running actually if I recall accurately.
I think our success will rise and fall with the oline. ED 75% of the time was running because there were defenders getting in the backfield or because he was holding the rock to long.
I think you will see allot of running to set the pass next year...let bruisers like Davis plow the road and then allot of 3 step drops until the coaches feel good about the line.

its good we get Maryland early due to their new HC still trying to break in his new playbook and what not while we have a full team of players bought into this team

22 passing. 38 rushing. 2 on specials
40 by RBs just seems huge especially since expect more passing and less rushing

But we will see

I the offense plays quicker this coming year. My rational is the Dungey (God love him!) has to run around with his head cut off so often that we’d often hurry up to to the LOS and sit there, surveying the defense for 10-20 extra seconds, allowing a mortal #2 to literally catch his breath.

DeVito won’t have to deal with this quite as much, ... hopefully.

The play back will expand , Big Boy timing throws will negate the blitz . Come backs , far hash outs , digs .

Love to see some of those all verticals turn into three level patterns occasionally

Nice write up, Go. I like DeVito, but I expect the transition to be rougher than most. Dungey's contribution is hard to overestimate ... some are taking for granted all his spectacular rushing plays. The guy was a total field warrior who put the team on his back at crunch time ... hurdling dudes, abusing safeties, juking NFL-quality LB's, all the SU records he set.

So the $64k question is if and when DeVito's passing skills will be =/> Dungey's creativity, size and strength? The staff's hope (and most fans') is sooner than later. My guess is that it might take half a season or more.

DeVito will benefit from is: 1) range on the deep ball; 2) accuracy; 3) better check-down ability once he gets comfortable; 4) running balance with Adams, Neal and Howard; and 5) better and deeper receiver corps (T-Jackson & Harris, Jordan working into the slot, depth via the Johnsons, Queeley, Hendrix, RTB, etc).

The challenges are: 1) lack of experience dealing with all the defensive looks that will be thrown at him; 2) integrating OL replacements for K-Mart, Conway and Roberts ... which will limit the running game; 3) if the OL's PP breaks down, not having the scrambling/creativity/clutch play of Dungey; and 4) leadership.

One last observation - if reports on Amy are true, we might have as much QB depth next year as this year.

I disagree. For the most part, despite the great numbers, i think most would agree that the offense under performed. It's pretty amazing we were successful as we were offensively because at times things just didn't seem to be running smoothly. I think a lot of that falls back to Dungey's inconsistently passing the ball. With Devito I think we will see an expanded playbook and most importantly much more practicing on getting the ball out quickly to negate any OL deficiencies. Also, a lot of times Eric would look at the primary receiver and if he wasn't over he'd hold the ball too long and get sacked/pressured/flushed. Devito will work his progressions. I expect to see a much different offense and one that is more explosive and bigger numbers. The playmakers he will have at his disposal will also help lessen the blow. I think many here have commented on how there is meat left on the bone. I expect Devito and a new look offense to start to nibble into that extra meat and take this offense to the next level. Really in no way do I see this offense taking a step back. There just isn't any way I can currently envision that. I love Eric and what he did for the program, but with the playmakers we will have, and a better pure passer, this offense is ready to explode.

I the offense plays quicker this coming year. My rational is the Dungey (God love him!) has to run around with his head cut off so often that we’d often hurry up to to the LOS and sit there, surveying the defense for 10-20 extra seconds, allowing a mortal #2 to literally catch his breath.
DeVito won’t have to deal with this quite as much, ... hopefully.
We weren’t letting ED catch his breath when we did that, you’re gonna see the same thing next year with Tommy. The coaches were reading the D and checking into a play call they like against whatever defense they were running against. The D comes out in cover 2 then we were gonna look over and check into something we like against the cover 2 that’s all that was.

I’m not sure Maryland is really a warm up game. That will be a road test
Their dumm not keeping the Pitt oc as coach. His offense it tough to defend. We should do well but I haven’t checked on their turnover of roster yet.

I disagree. For the most part, despite the great numbers, i think most would agree that the offense under performed. It's pretty amazing we were successful as we were offensively because at times things just didn't seem to be running smoothly. I think a lot of that falls back to Dungey's inconsistently passing the ball. With Devito I think we will see an expanded playbook and most importantly much more practicing on getting the ball out quickly to negate any OL deficiencies. Also, a lot of times Eric would look at the primary receiver and if he wasn't over he'd hold the ball too long and get sacked/pressured/flushed. Devito will work his progressions. I expect to see a much different offense and one that is more explosive and bigger numbers. The playmakers he will have at his disposal will also help lessen the blow. I think many here have commented on how there is meat left on the bone. I expect Devito and a new look offense to start to nibble into that extra meat and take this offense to the next level. Really in no way do I see this offense taking a step back. There just isn't any way I can currently envision that. I love Eric and what he did for the program, but with the playmakers we will have, and a better pure passer, this offense is ready to explode.
Great post.

We had a 93% conversion rate in the red zone (67 TD + FG in 72 trips). That seems like a really good #.

The play back will expand , Big Boy timing throws will negate the blitz . Come backs , far hash outs , digs .
Hoping so. Why don’t we have more screens in book for all out blitzes. Easy to audible to one when the house is coming.

There will be a transition but the coaches will change things to optimize the scheme to the talent. Not sure if we hit 10 wins next year but we have the best skill talent now in a very long time around the QB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom