The transition from Dungey | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The transition from Dungey

Nice write up, Go. I like DeVito, but I expect the transition to be rougher than most. Dungey's contribution is hard to overestimate ... some are taking for granted all his spectacular rushing plays. The guy was a total field warrior who put the team on his back at crunch time ... hurdling dudes, abusing safeties, juking NFL-quality LB's, all the SU records he set.

So the $64k question is if and when DeVito's passing skills will be =/> Dungey's creativity, size and strength? The staff's hope (and most fans') is sooner than later. My guess is that it might take half a season or more.

DeVito will benefit from is: 1) range on the deep ball; 2) accuracy; 3) better check-down ability once he gets comfortable; 4) running balance with Adams, Neal and Howard; and 5) better and deeper receiver corps (T-Jackson & Harris, Jordan working into the slot, depth via the Johnsons, Queeley, Hendrix, RTB, etc).

The challenges are: 1) lack of experience dealing with all the defensive looks that will be thrown at him; 2) integrating OL replacements for K-Mart, Conway and Roberts ... which will limit the running game; 3) if the OL's PP breaks down, not having the scrambling/creativity/clutch play of Dungey; and 4) leadership.

One last observation - if reports on Amy are true, we might have as much QB depth next year as this year.

All reasonable and i think CA has a chance to be our #1 guy on day #1. CW is also a stud and we could have a blockbuster qb competition on our hands.

We’ll never have an Alabama OL. Devito needs to make things happen with his feet to compensate if we want to challenge for a conference championship.

Devito”s a lock now
I can't do "lock" just yet. One thing I've seen from Coach B is his uncanny knack of being a Chameleon. Just an uneducated observer here, but he's foolproof enough to go 10-3. I like his surprises and feel for the game/foe, and I wouldn't be surprised if the QB position is a part of his chess game. One thing Coach B is good at is getting the most out of individuals and units - and there seems to be zero dissent or anymosity on the sidelines, (including the staff...) It's gonna be good.

We’ll never have an Alabama OL. Devito needs to make things happen with his feet to compensate if we want to challenge for a conference championship.

SU may not have a Bama line that is true but all TD has to do is make good reads and move well enough to move the chains and be smart enough to get rid of the ball to avoid sacks. Add to that a good relationship with WR's when he is in trouble to know their hot spots and to add to that dumping the ball off to Moe or Adams instead of running.

One of the biggest keys to me is the OL picking up blitzes to buy that extra fraction of time to make a play.

Is this the Bold Prediction Thread?!

2019 Orange Bowl
2020 Final 4

The next 2 Clemson games of the Jersey Boy v Sunshine will be epic, with major consequences for the loser.

I’m not sure Maryland is really a warm up game. That will be a road test

Not to mention Liberty is on the road.

I see no reason for an undeafted non conference but it's not set in stone by anymeans

SU may not have a Bama line that is true but all TD has to do is make good reads and move well enough to move the chains and be smart enough to get rid of the ball to avoid sacks. Add to that a good relationship with WR's when he is in trouble to know their hot spots and to add to that dumping the ball off to Moe or Adams instead of running.

One of the biggest keys to me is the OL picking up blitzes to buy that extra fraction of time to make a play.[/QUOTE

Agreed, and I have to say from the small sample size I saw TD is a good runner also. Not ED level, but not insufficient either.

Watch these throws from the UNC game. Ball is out quick. Three-step drop, dime. Three-step drop, dime. Three-step drop, dime. Lather, rinse, repeat. I think we see a lot of this next year:

Damn that video is like qb Pron. Those throws are nfl worthy... what all of them had in common was a very clean pocket. TD will have to show what he can do when it gets dirty. Didn’t show that well against ND when that happened but either did Dungey.

I disagree. For the most part, despite the great numbers, i think most would agree that the offense under performed. It's pretty amazing we were successful as we were offensively because at times things just didn't seem to be running smoothly. I think a lot of that falls back to Dungey's inconsistently passing the ball. With Devito I think we will see an expanded playbook and most importantly much more practicing on getting the ball out quickly to negate any OL deficiencies. Also, a lot of times Eric would look at the primary receiver and if he wasn't over he'd hold the ball too long and get sacked/pressured/flushed. Devito will work his progressions. I expect to see a much different offense and one that is more explosive and bigger numbers. The playmakers he will have at his disposal will also help lessen the blow. I think many here have commented on how there is meat left on the bone. I expect Devito and a new look offense to start to nibble into that extra meat and take this offense to the next level. Really in no way do I see this offense taking a step back. There just isn't any way I can currently envision that. I love Eric and what he did for the program, but with the playmakers we will have, and a better pure passer, this offense is ready to explode.
A team projected to finish last that winds up 10-3 and second in the Atlantic hasn't "under performed". It overperformed massively, and I would say most of the credit goes to Dungey and the staff, with a nod to the OL/DL and improved LB and secondary defense. It certainly wasn't because of a league-leading WR corps or a bevy of 4/5 star RBs. Sure, this offense has the potential to explode if you put talent at the skill positions ... which is why I expect Jackson and Harris (and Adams) to shine at some point (as I posted). For that to happen, however, TD has to have time, and the OL is a WIP with 3/5 positions open. More than it was for Dungey, a functioning OL is a pre-condition to TD's success - since protection problems won't be as easy for him to overcome. So it's not unrealistic to say that it could take 6-8 games for TD/OL to jell ... and during that time we may struggle against P-5/ACC teams. I'm a TD fan and the long-term future is bright ... if TD and the OL don't struggle I'll be pleasantly surprised and happy to eat crow. Just being practical about a new QB playing behind two new tackles and a new center.

Last edited:
Damn that video is like qb Pron. Those throws are nfl worthy... what all of them had in common was a very clean pocket. TD will have to show what he can do when it gets dirty. Didn’t show that well against ND when that happened but either did Dungey.

The pocket was clean BECAUSE he got the ball out quickly.

Agreed - QB pjorn. As the OP of this video said, 3 step drop, dime - lather, rinse, repeat.

It's almost impossible for a D to get to the QB when he's getting it out that quickly.
Which is the way TD will cover up any O-line issues, rather than scrambling like ED did.
Both means can be very effective.

Watch the elite 11 Video comes on right after this one . Cool to see past qbs come back

A team projected to finish last that winds up 10-3 and second in the Atlantic hasn't "under performed". It overperformed massively, and I would say most of the credit goes to Dungey and the staff, with a nod to the OL/DL. It certainly wasn't because of a league-leading WR corps or a bevy of 4/5 star RBs. So sure, this offense has the potential to explode once you put talent at the skill positions ... which is why I expect Jackson and Harris (and Adams) to shine at some point (as I posted). For that to happen, however, TD has to have time, and the OL is a WIP with 3/5 positions open. More than it was for Dungey, a functioning OL is a pre-condition to TD's success - since protection problems won't be as easy for him to overcome. So it's not unrealistic to say that it could take 6-8 games for TD/OL to jell ... and during that time we may struggle against P-5/ACC teams. I'm a TD fan and the long-term future is bright ... if TD and the OL don't struggle I'll be pleasantly surprised and happy to eat crow. Just being practical about a new QB playing behind two new tackles and a new center.

We will have to agree to disagree.

Obviously as a team we over performed, but a lot of that credit has to go to the defense who immensely overperformed their preseason prognostications by basically everybody. Offensively we put up numbers, but we also struggled at times. While having a record setting FG kicker is great, it also means you struggled a bit putting the ball in the end zone. I don't think many people will say we overachieved on the offensive side of the ball?

I don't think the learning curve, or the cohesion to take as long as expected. That's where TD running the show last spring practice, and splitting reps with Dungey during fall camp will show it's benefit. Also, I don't expect the OL to have as many problems as most are expecting. Sure we are losing 3 starters, but we also return 3 starters (I count Heckel as a starter). I expect them to keep Servais at Center, that means we return our entire interior OL. Then plug in either both Dakota and Patty Davis, who each saw the field in jumbo packages, or another surprise starter and you all a sudden are returning an entire OL with experience. Even if the OL doesn't hold up to the point I think it can there are things that you can do to relieve some of the pressure. More quick hitters, which you could do if you have WR's who can win off the LOS, etc.

I also don't think we will struggle out of the gate next year because the defense that massively overperformed this year is almost back in full. Sure there is a major hole to fill with the loss of Slayton and even Guthrie, who was outstanding this year, but we will have talented , deep, defense coming back. Robinson has a chance to be a preseason all-american, as well as Cisco, as well as all-acc guys like Coleman, Trill, Frederick, and maybe even Cullen if her performs for an entire season as he did when he was given an opportunity. This defense is loaded and will only get better. They should be able to give the offense the time they need to get in sync and still win games.

We will have to agree to disagree.

Obviously as a team we over performed, but a lot of that credit has to go to the defense who immensely overperformed their preseason prognostications by basically everybody. Offensively we put up numbers, but we also struggled at times. While having a record setting FG kicker is great, it also means you struggled a bit putting the ball in the end zone. I don't think many people will say we overachieved on the offensive side of the ball?

I don't think the learning curve, or the cohesion to take as long as expected. That's where TD running the show last spring practice, and splitting reps with Dungey during fall camp will show it's benefit. Also, I don't expect the OL to have as many problems as most are expecting. Sure we are losing 3 starters, but we also return 3 starters (I count Heckel as a starter). I expect them to keep Servais at Center, that means we return our entire interior OL. Then plug in either both Dakota and Patty Davis, who each saw the field in jumbo packages, or another surprise starter and you all a sudden are returning an entire OL with experience. Even if the OL doesn't hold up to the point I think it can there are things that you can do to relieve some of the pressure. More quick hitters, which you could do if you have WR's who can win off the LOS, etc.

I also don't think we will struggle out of the gate next year because the defense that massively overperformed this year is almost back in full. Sure there is a major hole to fill with the loss of Slayton and even Guthrie, who was outstanding this year, but we will have talented , deep, defense coming back. Robinson has a chance to be a preseason all-american, as well as Cisco, as well as all-acc guys like Coleman, Trill, Frederick, and maybe even Cullen if her performs for an entire season as he did when he was given an opportunity. This defense is loaded and will only get better. They should be able to give the offense the time they need to get in sync and still win games.
I heard Servais to left tackle. Not 100% yet of course and Heckel to center and servais back up at center. I guess he is exceptional at pass blocking out there. Things could change depending on grad transfer or not. I will be honest though, if I was a dc, I would bring pressure all day long against us to see if Td and oline could take it or not. We will find out.

I heard Servais to left tackle. Not 100% yet of course and Heckel to center and servais back up at center. I guess he is exceptional at pass blocking out there. Things could change depending on grad transfer or not. I will be honest though, if I was a dc, I would bring pressure all day long against us to see if Td and oline could take it or not. We will find out.
Yup - if I’m on the other side, that’s my plan until they make me back off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom