The Upside- Clemson I | Syracusefan.com

The Upside- Clemson I

SWC75

Bored Historian
- I always say that we want two things out of every game: to win and to feel like more wins are on the way. Right now, in this season, I’ll extend that to this: we need to pile up the wins while we strive to become the team we should really be, as opposed to the team we’ve seen so far. We want to inflate the record and get strong enough to prevent it from deflating at the end of the season. In this game we began to look like the tam we should be. We played excellent defense. We rebounded and got some turnovers. We moved the ball better on offense and maintained a comfortable lead through most of the contest against a pretty good Clemson team that won 25 games, (11 in the conference) last year and went to the Sweet 16 as we did and, also like us, had plenty of guys back from that team.

- Frank Howard looked more like Frank Howard, scoring 12 points, grabbing 5 rebounds and passing for four assists. Last year he wasn’t really a penetrating point guard. He’d bring the ball up, get us into our offense and then become more of a 2 guard while Battle and Brissett did the penetrating. He averaged 14.4 points per game, showing the deepest range of any of our shooters. We don’t need 30 footers or for him to score 14 a game. But if he can score around the double figure mark the rest of the way, now we can put four scorers on the court at the same time and that makes a big difference.

- Our offense was at its best with Marek Dolezaj in there, using both his passing and shooting skills as he did tonight. When he came out, the offense seemed to grind to a halt. With him in there, the ball kept moving and people got open shots and open lanes to the basket. If he shows as aggressively and as well as he did tonight, now we’ve got fiver scorers on the floor. This is what I dreamed of in the off season that’s bene missing most of the year. I know he doesn’t physically match up with the big bad centers of the ACC but he knows how to play the game and Clemson’s Elijah Thomas only got off 6 shots in this game. I think Marek at center with Brissett, Hughes, Battle and Howard is our best line-up, if we can get away with it.

- Bourama Sidibe had his best game of the year. He had 4 points, 4 rebounds and 3 blocks in 16 minutes and was very active overall. Combined with his work at the end of the Notre Dame game, he seems be coming along now. The problem is, our offense slowed with him in there and Marek on the bench.

- If Brissett had scored one more point, our entire starting line-up would have been in double figures. Oshae was the one starter who had a poor game, which shows we can get even better than we were tonight.

- We blocked 7 shots, forced 17 turnovers and held them to 42% shooting on two point shots and 25% from three point range. They are a good defensive team but we shot 64% on two point shots. That was the biggest statistical difference between the teams.

- We pressed with a lead today and it was very effective. We also got the ball down court quickly and had 9 fast break points to 4. That’s the way this team needs to play.

11-4 and with 16+ to go

LET’S GO ORANGE!

- I always say that we want two things out of every game: to win and to feel like more wins are on the way. Right now, in this season, I’ll extend that to this: we need to pile up the wins while we strive to become the team we should really be, as opposed to the team we’ve seen so far. We want to inflate the record and get strong enough to prevent it from deflating at the end of the season. In this game we began to look like the tam we should be. We played excellent defense. We rebounded and got some turnovers. We moved the ball better on offense and maintained a comfortable lead through most of the contest against a pretty good Clemson team that won 25 games, (11 in the conference) last year and went to the Sweet 16 as we did and, also like us, had plenty of guys back from that team.

- Frank Howard looked more like Frank Howard, scoring 12 points, grabbing 5 rebounds and passing for four assists. Last year he wasn’t really a penetrating point guard. He’d bring the ball up, get us into our offense and then become more of a 2 guard while Battle and Brissett did the penetrating. He averaged 14.4 points per game, showing the deepest range of any of our shooters. We don’t need 30 footers or for him to score 14 a game. But if he can score around the double figure mark the rest of the way, now we can put four scorers on the court at the same time and that makes a big difference.

- Our offense was at its best with Marek Dolezaj in there, using both his passing and shooting skills as he did tonight. When he came out, the offense seemed to grind to a halt. With him in there, the ball kept moving and people got open shots and open lanes to the basket. If he shows as aggressively and as well as he did tonight, now we’ve got fiver scorers on the floor. This is what I dreamed of in the off season that’s bene missing most of the year. I know he doesn’t physically match up with the big bad centers of the ACC but he knows how to play the game and Clemson’s Elijah Thomas only got off 6 shots in this game. I think Marek at center with Brissett, Hughes, Battle and Howard is our best line-up, if we can get away with it.

- Bourama Sidibe had his best game of the year. He had 4 points, 4 rebounds and 3 blocks in 16 minutes and was very active overall. Combined with his work at the end of the Notre Dame game, he seems be coming along now. The problem is, our offense slowed with him in there and Marek on the bench.

- If Brissett had scored one more point, our entire starting line-up would have been in double figures. Oshae was the one starter who had a poor game, which shows we can get even better than we were tonight.

- We blocked 7 shots, forced 17 turnovers and held them to 42% shooting on two-point shots and 25% from three-point range. They are a good defensive team but we shot 64% on two-point shots. That was the biggest statistical difference between the teams.

- We pressed with a lead today and it was very effective. We also got the ball down court quickly and had 9 fast break points to 4. That’s the way this team needs to play.

11-4 and with 16+ to go

LET’S GO ORANGE!

Great write-up as always.

What I saw as the major upside was that we were able to win fairly convincingly in spite of two of our three top offensive weapons having off nights. This suggests that we have the scoring depth to avoid upsets vs the majority of the ACC schedule. We may also be able to steal a win or two vs the top tier.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom