The Upside - Duke II | Syracusefan.com

The Upside - Duke II

SWC75

Bored Historian
- We took on the most talented team in the nation and slugged it out for 40 minutes, losing a split decision. We did it with a 7 man team with most of the remaining players hobbled by injuries, including a twisted ankle Oshae Brissett sustained in the late going that had him hobbling down the court like Walter Brennan in the Real McCoys, (and if you get that cultural reference you are real old).

- Tyus Battle, who had been struggling down the stretch, came up big with 19 points, including 4 treys and 5 assists. I hope it isn’t the last game for him in an SU uniform.

- Brissett had a big second half and wound up with 15 points and 7 rebounds against the big strong Duke front line.

- Marek Dolezaj had a quiet first half but his absence was felt after he got his third foul. Without him in the middle of the zone, the ball stopped moving and Howard and Battle just played catch outside. Then the Slovak had a monster second half, winding up with 13 points, 4 rebounds and 2 assists.

- With Paschal Chukwu, there are always rebounds he didn’t get, passes he didn’t catch, points he didn’t score and fouls he shouldn’t have committed. But he is a very productive player in any case and a key to our defense. He had 8 points and 7 rebounds.

- We held teams averaging 83, 82, 81 and 85 points per game to 56, 52, 53 and 69 points. That’s an average of 25 points less than their average. The four teams were 27 for 112 from the three point arc 24.1%.

- The team did itself proud with their performances in the tournament, rescuing an otherwise frustrating season and adding some more luster to a decade with far more ups than downs. And, if we can keep all the guys here and combine them with Elijah Hughes and the new guys, Darius Bazley, Jaelen Carey and Buddy Boeheim, we will be back with a “bigger boat” next year, one with a lot more artillery.

23-14 (9-11) and we are done. Wait ‘till next year!

LET’S GO ORANGE!

thx again for writing these up all season. truly enjoyable to read your takes.

giphy.gif

- We took on the most talented team in the nation and slugged it out for 40 minutes, losing a split decision. We did it with a 7 man team with most of the remaining players hobbled by injuries, including a twisted ankle Oshae Brissett sustained in the late going that had him hobbling down the court like Walter Brennan in the Real McCoys, (and if you get that cultural reference you are real old).

- Tyus Battle, who had been struggling down the stretch, came up big with 19 points, including 4 treys and 5 assists. I hope it isn’t the last game for him in an SU uniform.

- Brissett had a big second half and wound up with 15 points and 7 rebounds against the big strong Duke front line.

- Marek Dolezaj had a quiet first half but his absence was felt after he got his third foul. Without him in the middle of the zone, the ball stopped moving and Howard and Battle just played catch outside. Then the Slovak had a monster second half, winding up with 13 points, 4 rebounds and 2 assists.

- With Paschal Chukwu, there are always rebounds he didn’t get, passes he didn’t catch, points he didn’t score and fouls he shouldn’t have committed. But he is a very productive player in any case and a key to our defense. He had 8 points and 7 rebounds.

- We held teams averaging 83, 82, 81 and 85 points per game to 56, 52, 53 and 69 points. That’s an average of 25 points less than their average. The four teams were 27 for 112 from the three point arc 24.1%.

- The team did itself proud with their performances in the tournament, rescuing an otherwise frustrating season and adding some more luster to a decade with far more ups than downs. And, if we can keep all the guys here and combine them with Elijah Hughes and the new guys, Darius Bazley, Jaelen Carey and Buddy Boeheim, we will be back with a “bigger boat” next year, one with a lot more artillery.

23-14 (9-11) and we are done. Wait ‘till next year!

LET’S GO ORANGE!

Facts, insight, perspective, humor. SWC, you are a treasure!

I'll add my thanks.

Facts, insight, perspective, humor. SWC, you are a treasure!

I'll add my thanks.

You have been Old Faithful, the poster we can always count on to give your wisdom regarding the “good” and the “bad.” You are never snarky and your posts are always respectful of our players, even when you are criticizing. Have a great spring, summer and fall and I’ll see you on the other side.

I got the cultural reference. Wah.

You have been Old Faithful, the poster we can always count on to give your wisdom regarding the “good” and the “bad.” You are never snarky and your posts are always respectful of our players, even when you are criticizing. Have a great spring, summer and fall and I’ll see you on the other side.

I got the cultural reference. Wah.

For those who didn't:

- hobbling down the court like Walter Brennan in the Real McCoys, (and if you get that cultural reference you are real old).

"Luke!"

Yeah, I remember this show. I'm old. But not that old. Used to watch it when it was in syndication, not the original broadcasts.

"Luke!"

Yeah, I remember this show. I'm old. But not that old. Used to watch it when it was in syndication, not the original broadcasts.
I know ABOUT the show but I don't think I have ever seen it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom