the upside of Josh Black not playing | Syracusefan.com

the upside of Josh Black not playing

upperdeck

Living Legend
If Black doesnt get back then it becomes his RS year which is not a bad thing since he was progressing pretty well and 3 more years of him would be good.

If Jake Pickard hasn't returned to action yet, I doubt Black will see the field this year.

If Black doesnt get back then it becomes his RS year which is not a bad thing since he was progressing pretty well and 3 more years of him would be good.

Didn't he already play in games this year? If so I thought a RS is not an option?

He played in under 3 games, and has a documented injury. Think he qualifies for a medical RS.

I think I was getting a bit confused with the T. Hunt situation a few years ago but now that i think more about it he redshirted his freshman year so that was the difference in him not getting the waiver.

To the original post it will be nice to have Black for 3 more years.

Something else to build upon your point: all of our principals at DE are sophomores -- Coleman, Robinson, and Berry.

If nothing else, Black taking a redshirt season spaces him out a year from that group.

I think I was getting a bit confused with the T. Hunt situation a few years ago but now that i think more about it he redshirted his freshman year so that was the difference in him not getting the waiver.

To the original post it will be nice to have Black for 3 more years.
Hunt applied for what would have been a 6th season. He took a non-injury related RS his freshman year.

Black played as a true frosh last year and I don't think he participated in 4 or more games so he would qualify for a red shirt this year.

Hunt applied for what would have been a 6th season. He took a non-injury related RS his freshman year.

Black played as a true frosh last year and I don't think he participated in 4 or more games so he would qualify for a red shirt this year.

Thought he got a few snaps at LSU. Wouldn't that be 4 games and thus take the RS away? May be mis remembering.

Wouldn't make getting 2-3 DT's this cycle imperative.

Still need DT's though badly to create depth in that position group.

Thought he got a few snaps at LSU. Wouldn't that be 4 games and thus take the RS away? May be mis remembering.

The rule is 3 games or 30% of your games, whichever is greater.

30% of 12 is 3.6 games.

3.6 gets rounded up to 4 games.

He played in under 3 games, and has a documented injury. Think he qualifies for a medical RS.

I also think they factor the type of injury into the equation otherwise you would have coaches sitting kids for all sorts of injuries.

I believe the injury needs to be documented, showing how he was unable to play on it

from one site i just read.

As it stands, a player burns his redshirt the second he enters a game. He can only get it back if he suffers a season-ending injury before he plays in four games. Currently, a player can receive a medical redshirt if he's competed in fewer than 30 percent of the games in a season or three games, whichever is greater.

this was also a discussion on the new rule of playing 4 games that is being looked into.

If Jake Pickard hasn't returned to action yet, I doubt Black will see the field this year.

what is the deal with pickard? he is dressing. i dont believe he has see a play yet. did he regress? are we wanting to redshirt him?

There has been next to no talk about him this year. Even when he was injured in the preseason, the only thing we heard was DIno saying he expected all (pickard, 1 of 3 or 4 he was referring to) to be able to play soon. Never anything about him being out multiple games or heck the year. And even when he is on the injury list its "questionable"

30% of 12 is 3.6 games.

Actually the NCAA changed that rule so it simply reads:

If a player plays in 4 games but has not played in 8 games but felt well enough for 4 games and has yet to practice in full pads for 6 games but failed to dress in 6 and has never missed a bus while still standing during the game if and only if he played as a freshmen during or between the years of his initial playing of those said games and has repeated 4 or more times and has or has not played in a bowl game he is eligible to apply for an extra year.

*If player is on team that can earn the NCAA more money he automatically is approved.

30% of 12 is 3.6 games.

I thought it was less than 30% which would mean you could play in 3 but not 4. Josh has appeared in 4.

12.8.4 Hardship Waiver.
A student-athlete may be granted an additional year of competition by the conference
or the Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement for reasons of “hardship.” Hardship is defined as
an incapacity resulting from an injury or illness that has occurred under all of the following conditions:
(a) The incapacitating injury or illness occurs in one of the four seasons of intercollegiate competition at any two year
or four-year collegiate institutions or occurs after the first day of classes in the student-athlete’s senior year
in high school;
(b) The injury or illness occurs prior to the first competition of the second half of the playing season that concludes
with the NCAA championship in that sport (see Bylaw 12.8.4.3.4) and results in incapacity to compete
for the remainder of that playing season;
(c) In team sports, the injury or illness occurs when the student-athlete has not participated in more than three
contests or dates of competition (whichever is applicable to that sport) or 30 percent (whichever number is
greater) of the institution’s scheduled or completed contests or dates of competition in his or her sport.

4 games has been the cutoff in the past.

So can he get an another year even though he already redshirted? Poor kid hasn't been able to get onto the field.

No.

Not unless he can document that his 2015 redshirt was injury related.

However, according to my records his DNP in 2015 was a coaches decision.

No.

Not unless he can document that his 2015 redshirt was injury related.

However, according to my records his DNP in 2015 was a coaches decision.

but what is 2017 was injury related? hes been on the injured list just about every week and it started from the injury in preseason. there were rumors on here pretty early he was out for year.

but what is 2017 was injury related? hes been on the injured list just about every week and it started from the injury in preseason. there were rumors on here pretty early he was out for year.

One redshirt to a customer. He used his in 2015.

I thought they said he never played at LSU, if he did it doesnt matter then.

One redshirt to a customer. He used his in 2015.

Yeah, and I don't recall 2015 for Pickard being injury related.

It will be hard to say that 2017 is injury related. He had a couple of weeks where he wasn't on the injured list, and I know I've seen him dressed on the sideline. I remember one game thinking I hope he rushes the passer better than he dances.

Yeah, and I don't recall 2015 for Pickard being injury related.

It will be hard to say that 2017 is injury related. He had a couple of weeks where he wasn't on the injured list, and I know I've seen him dressed on the sideline. I remember one game thinking I hope he rushes the passer better than he dances.

He's been sidelined since training camp. There must be x-rays or MRI's.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootb...ive_end_with_josh_black_jake_pickard_out.html

http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootb...ervais_in_pads_limited_camp_photos_video.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom