The Upside - Virginia Tech | Syracusefan.com

The Upside - Virginia Tech

SWC75

Bored Historian
- That was the best performance by this steam in several years. We played a very good team and an outstanding offensive team and dominated them for virtually the entire game. The Hokies had been averaging 91 points a game. They got 56, a chunk of that in garbage time. They’d been shooting 60.8% inside the arc. They shot 36.4% in this game. They’d been hitting 43.7% of their three pointers. They hit 33.3% in this game. And they didn’t miss wide-open shots. We did a great job of maintaining contact with their shooters. If we can sustain this level of effort, the sky is the limit!

- The “Big Three” is the “Big Three”. Chukwu is Chukwu and Dolezaj is Dolezaj. The X factor on this team is Matthew Moyer. He is our most muscular player and athletic as well. When he plays aggressively and with confidence, we are on another level. That happened tonight. Mayer had a double-double with 11 points and 13 rebounds. He’ll have a better shot at nights like that now that Dolezai is playing as Chukwu’s back-up and not forcing Moyer to the bench.

- Chukwu and Dolezaj didn’t have big numbers, (4 points, 7 rebounds but 5 blocks and 2 steals). Their big number is that two point field goal percentage by tech: from 60.8% to 36.4%. Not only does the box score not show altered shots: there were hardly any unaltered shots inside the arc for Tech.

- Brissett continued on, machine like, driving to the basket, (5 for 7), getting to the line, (9 for 10: He’s now shooting 79%) and rebounding: 9, just missing his 8th double-double. He and Moyer led us to a total domination of the boards: 39-26. Possession of the ball and defense were the keys to this game- and the season.

- Frank Howard hit some more big threes and had 17 points and 4 assists. His backcourt mate, Tyus Battle had virtually the same numbers (17/3). It was hard to tell them apart.

- I’m tired of going to the ESPN website, asking for “scores” and having to click “ACC” on the drop-down menu. It’s time SU was on the “Top 25” page.

12-2 (1-0) with 17+ to go

LET’S GO ORANGE!

Last edited:
The 2013 Elite 8. Buzz was still at Marquette at that point.
For some reason I can't recall that game. The only thing I remember from those years was how bad the NCAA refs stuck it to Syracuse and Boeheim. The only memory I have of Marquette and VTECH games is them playing their as hard as possible and Syracuse pulling out some hard fought close games and them getting a couple as well.

Lol that ranked page comment is so true

- That was the best performance by this steam in several years. We played a very good team and an outstanding offensive team and dominated them for virtually the entire game. The Hokies had been averaging 91 points a game. They got 56, a chunk of that in garbage time. They’d been shooting 60.8% inside the arc. They shot 36.4% in this game. They’d been hitting 43.7% of their three pointers. They hit 33.3% in this game. And they didn’t miss wide-open shots. We did a great job of maintaining contact with their shooters. If we can sustain this level of effort, the sky is the limit!

- The “Big Three” is the “Big Three”. Chukwu is Chukwu and Dolezaj is Dolezaj. The X factor on this team is Matthew Moyer. He is our most muscular player and athletic as well. When he plays aggressively and with confidence, we are on another level. That happened tonight. Mayer had a double-double with 11 points and 13 rebounds. He’ll have a better shot at nights like that now that Dolezai is playing as Chukwu’s back-up and not forcing Moyer to the bench.

- Chukwu and Dolezaj didn’t have big numbers, (4 points, 7 rebounds but 5 blocks and 2 steals). Their big number is that two point field goal percentage by tech: from 60.8% to 36.4%. Not only does the box score not show altered shots: there were hardly any unaltered shots inside the arc for Tech.

- Brissett continued on, machine like, driving to the basket, (5 for 7), getting to the line, (9 for 10: He’s now shooting 79%) and rebounding: 9, just missing his 8th double-double. He and Moyer led us to a total domination of the boards: 39-26. Possession of the ball and defense were the keys to this game- and the season.

- Frank Howard his some more big threes and had 17 points and 4 assists. His backcourt mate, Tyus Battle had virtually the same numbers (17/3). It was hard to tell them apart.

- I’m tired of going to the ESPN website, asking for “scores” and having to click “ACC” on the drop-down menu. It’s time SU was on the “Top 25” page.

12-2 (1-0) with 17+ to go

LET’S GO ORANGE!
Now, by saying that Matt is our most “muscular” player, did you mean to say “slightly flabby?”

Totally agree on the analysis of the Big Three. Chuckwu and Dolezaj. Moyer without a doubt is the X Factor. The couple of games he has played well have been much easier for Syracuse to score. He helps open up the middle. We need his strength and size to make us a more dangerous team. We can hope Chuckwu and Dolezaj will score more but a consistent Moyer would elevate this team another notch. On the otherhand, if we end up without Sidibe, Moyer will get his fair share of playing time.

For some reason I can't recall that game. The only thing I remember from those years was how bad the NCAA refs stuck it to Syracuse and Boeheim. The only memory I have of Marquette and VTECH games is them playing their as hard as possible and Syracuse pulling out some hard fought close games and them getting a couple as well.
How do you forget a game where your team advances to the Final Four by holding their opponent to 39 points on 23% shooting?

- That was the best performance by this steam in several years. We played a very good team and an outstanding offensive team and dominated them for virtually the entire game.
LET’S GO ORANGE!

This team still has a lot of work to do to improve on both ends.

How do you forget a game where your team advances to the Final Four by holding their opponent to 39 points on 23% shooting?
I usually remember every game very clearly. As I stated earlier those bad calls late in that game as well as the hyper foul game against Ohio State the year before have left trauma scares in that region of my memory. The REFS made sure both of those teams seasons ended, not the other teams.

To be fair, I was AT that game, and had to check the box score before posting. I knew we dominated them on the defensive end, but I remembered it being closer than a 16 point cushion.

I usually remember every game very clearly. As I stated earlier those bad calls late in that game as well as the hyper foul game against Ohio State the year before have left trauma scares in that region of my memory. The REFS made sure both of those teams seasons ended, not the other teams.
SU smothered Marquette in the 2013 NCAAT after completely shutting down Indiana in the previous game. That's the best JB zone we're likely to ever see.

He throws his weight around better than anybody else. Who would you least like to be blocked out by?
Um . . Um . . No one? :)

I love Moyer! When he is on, we are on. I was trying to understand what you meant by muscular, and now I do.

Um . . Um . . No one? :)

I love Moyer! When he is on, we are on. I was trying to understand what you meant by muscular, and now I do.

I think there are plenty of muscles in there somewhere. It's not like the guy is immobile and can't jump.

Last edited:
SU smothered Marquette in the 2013 NCAAT after completely shutting down Indiana in the previous game. That's the best JB zone we're likely to ever see.

By several measures that was the best defense anyone has ever brought to the NCAA tournament through 4 games. I don't recall all the specifics but they broke several defensive records. We held a conference opponent to 39 points in an Elite 8 game for gods sake.

I think there are plenty of muscles in there somewhere. It's not like the guy is immobile and can't jump.

Moyer has the best vertical on the team.

By several measures that was the best defense anyone has ever brought to the NCAA tournament through 4 games. I don't recall all the specifics but they broke several defensive records. We held a conference opponent to 39 points in an Elite 8 game for gods sake.
That was the year Seth Davis predicted a Montana upset in the first round and SU won 81-34.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom