The Upside | Syracusefan.com

The Upside

SWC75

Bored Historian
- A basketball season is like life. It (almost) always ends sadly. But the ending shouldn’t obscure the accomplishments that preceded it. This was the best regular season this esteemed school has ever had and we made it to the Elite 8 for the first time in 9 years. That we lost to a another national power in a close game in a single elimination tournament does nothing to erase those accomplishments.

- JB said we’d go as far as our seniors would take us. Scoop went out in a blaze of glory with 55 points on 18 for 37 shooting, (9 for 17 from the arc), 10 for 12 from the line, (after all his struggles) and 25 assists in four games.

- Our centers actually played well. Rakeem Christmas was 3 for 3 from the field in his limited action, (16 minutes. Baye Moussa Keita was the leading rebounder in the game with 10. Together they had 9 points, 12 rebounds and 6 blocks. In an upset, neither fouled out. We didn’t lose because of them. In four games they had 31 points, 34 rebounds and 14 blocks. Would Fab have done better than that?

- In the end the guy leading the comeback was Brandon Triche, who after a lousy, (o for 2, 2 turnovers), first half, led the team with 15 points.

- James Southerland hit a couple of big threes and scored 5 points in 11 minutes. I would like to have seen what he could have done if he wasn’t in foul trouble.

- Rankings, seedings, RPI, SOS, Barkley, Gottlieb, Davis: none of them matter now.

- It’s springtime. I’m a diehard SU fan but I get tired of games mattering so damn much. I hate the tension before the game, the emotional roller-coaster during them and the pain after a loss, (even just three of them). I’m ready for some golf tournaments, (not much for tennis), some horse and auto races, maybe a prize fight. Events I can enjoy without caring who wins. Whatever we get from lacrosse is gravy. Then there’s Olympics. And baseball where each game is 1/162 second, (or 144th) of a season and there’s always a game the next night and the team with “Syracuse” on it is a minor league baseball team that can’t put us on the map and doesn’t have to.

- And when things are ready to matter again, we’ll be good. Damn good.

34-3, the best record in SU history!

LET’S GO ORANGE!!! - Next Year!

Love you SWC

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

This would be a fine time to update your mists of time series and bring us up through the present, after all we had a championship and 2 of the last 3 teams have been some of the most pleasant teams we have ever had. It would be nice as a tribute to the blue collar philly kids rick and scoop who stayed and brought Syracuse back to prominence. Plus over the summer when you become frustrated with your Golf game as we all do you can sit down and remember more of the wonderful memories of the true fan. Have a great summer and thanks for the wonderful perspective you bring with each game.

This would be a fine time to update your mists of time series and bring us up through the present, after all we had a championship and 2 of the last 3 teams have been some of the most pleasant teams we have ever had. It would be nice as a tribute to the blue collar philly kids rick and scoop who stayed and brought Syracuse back to prominence. Plus over the summer when you become frustrated with your Golf game as we all do you can sit down and remember more of the wonderful memories of the true fan. Have a great summer and thanks for the wonderful perspective you bring with each game.

I'll redo "Through the Years With JB", which I did a decade ago, when he retires, which could be in the near future.

I'll redo "Through the Years With JB", which I did a decade ago, when he retires, which could be in the near future.

In that case, I am hoping I don't see it for a long time! No offense.

After each season ends, I feel like some of my family are moving away (fellow posters)

Its been a great, fun, year. ...see you guys on the OT boards or next year

"- It’s springtime. I’m a diehard SU fan but I get tired of games mattering so damn much. I hate the tension before the game, the emotional roller-coaster during them and the pain after a loss, (even just three of them). I’m ready for some golf tournaments, (not much for tennis), some horse and auto races, maybe a prize fight. Events I can enjoy without caring who wins. Whatever we get from lacrosse is gravy. Then there’s Olympics. And baseball where each game is 1/162 second, (or 144th) of a season and there’s always a game the next night and the team with “Syracuse” on it is a minor league baseball team that can’t put us on the map and doesn’t have to."

My sentiments exactly! Last night was torture. Losing hurts so much more than winning feels good.

I enjoy your summaries after a win. I need them after a loss.

Thanks SWC for your information, analysis and most important, your maturity and perspective. You are unique.

- A basketball season is like life. It (almost) always ends sadly. But the ending shouldn’t obscure the accomplishments that preceded it. This was the best regular season this esteemed school has ever had and we made it to the Elite 8 for the first time in 9 years. That we lost to a another national power in a close game in a single elimination tournament does nothing to erase those accomplishments.

- JB said we’d go as far as our seniors would take us. Scoop went out in a blaze of glory with 55 points on 18 for 37 shooting, (9 for 17 from the arc), 10 for 12 from the line, (after all his struggles) and 25 assists in four games.

- Our centers actually played well. Rakeem Christmas was 3 for 3 from the field in his limited action, (16 minutes. Baye Moussa Keita was the leading rebounder in the game with 10. Together they had 9 points, 12 rebounds and 6 blocks. In an upset, neither fouled out. We didn’t lose because of them. In four games they had 31 points, 34 rebounds and 14 blocks. Would Fab have done better than that?

- In the end the guy leading the comeback was Brandon Triche, who after a lousy, (o for 2, 2 turnovers), first half, led the team with 15 points.

- James Southerland hit a couple of big threes and scored 5 points in 11 minutes. I would like to have seen what he could have done if he wasn’t in foul trouble.

- Rankings, seedings, RPI, SOS, Barkley, Gottlieb, Davis: none of them matter now.

- It’s springtime. I’m a diehard SU fan but I get tired of games mattering so damn much. I hate the tension before the game, the emotional roller-coaster during them and the pain after a loss, (even just three of them). I’m ready for some golf tournaments, (not much for tennis), some horse and auto races, maybe a prize fight. Events I can enjoy without caring who wins. Whatever we get from lacrosse is gravy. Then there’s Olympics. And baseball where each game is 1/162 second, (or 144th) of a season and there’s always a game the next night and the team with “Syracuse” on it is a minor league baseball team that can’t put us on the map and doesn’t have to.

Great post like always and says it all for me to. You have to have sadness to understand happiness. Sad that we lost but couldn't be happier for the best record in SU history. And to say your words again "we'll be good. Damn good." you got that right... Cya in the fall and look forward to your post like always.

Love what you wrote! I try very hard throughout the season to heighten the winning feeling and dampen the losing feeling. I want my being a cuse fan to be an overall positive in my life - no matter what! I will watch the rest of the games and then turn my attention to other things. I will rest and vacation - oh, and work. By next November I will be ready to go again!

Nice post, but I gotta point this one out:

James Southerland hit a couple of big threes and scored 5 points

If true then I gotta go over to the dark side & say we lost because of the reffing !!!

Nice post, but I gotta point this one out:

James Southerland hit a couple of big threes and scored 5 points

If true then I gotta go over to the dark side & say we lost because of the reffing !!!

Midnight math. One was inside the line.

And, don't forget, Mad Men begins its 5th season tonight! :) Ah, the good 'ol days...when it truly was great to be the privileged gender. ;)

For a guy who regularly produces epic posts, that is one of your best. Thanks.

I don't play golf or other warm weather sports, so Iguess I have to relie on my tapes of this years games. I'll wait a few weeks then on some of the nights when I am home alone, I'll relive this season and many of the sucesses of past seasons.

Thanks for another great season of these post-game posts. They're great after a win...and always make me feel a little better after a loss. I understand what you mean about watching NCAAT games. I actually don't find them enjoyable because the tension is so great. The end of the season, and the dream, hangs in the balance on every play. A tourney win brings a huge rush and an amazing high. But a loss is so devastating. Now it's like we had the jigsaw puzzle almost done and someone stepped on it, mixed it up and we have to start all over again. Scoop, KJ, Fab, and Dion leave...and it's so hard to get all the right pieces together again at the same time.

Thanks for your in depth posts. They always make for a good read.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom