They’ve stopped playing for him. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

They’ve stopped playing for him.

In support of the players, when you keep getting killed by doing the same thing on defense, they know they can only do so much. Teams with a good inside game and a couple of shooters are going to riddle the zone. This is what we’re seeing. Teams use to dread playing against the zone. Now they salivate when they see it. They know they will get good looks or dunks. JB is the only one left who thinks you can beat good teams playing all zone. I don’t know what JB can say to this team. Pitt is going to manhandle this team on Saturday. They can shoot and are physical. This team is the definition of being not tough.

In support of the players, when you keep getting killed by doing the same thing on defense, they know they can only do so much. Teams with a good inside game and a couple of shooters are going to riddle the zone. This is what we’re seeing. Teams use to dread playing against the zone. Now they salivate when they see it. They know they will get good looks or dunks. JB is the only one left who thinks you can beat good teams playing ball zone. I don’t know what JB can say to this team. Pitt is going to manhandle this team on Saturday. They can shoot and are physical. This team is the definition of being not tough.
Scheme sucks on both ends agreed. But, it’s the players. Again, acknowledging the sucky schemes, but we haven’t had the horses for YEARS. In fact, there’s been several years recently where any other coach with our roster wouldn’t have won 10 damn games, not 10. But, the talent is so underwhelming now, we’re just a bad team. Period. Game, set, match. No magic formula here. WE DO NOT HAVE GOOD ENOUGH PLAYERS. Pure and simple. (obviously save for Judah on this team).

We are as soft as a wet roll of Charmin. Please god, please send me another DC, please!!! I beg you!!!!

A match up zone is essentially a help out man to man defense.

It’s more likely a talent issue.

It's both. Evolution of the game and number of 3pt shots made and taken per game that outpaces tempo increase from the 30 second shot clock. This is also due to more shooters on the floor which then makes it much more difficult to cover in any zone defense.

Talent is less attracted to playing a zone defense but even more of the issue is that a zone D as the only defense makes it easier to prepare for.

More bigs are comfortable as a distributor in today's game on top of being a shooter. The days of two stiffs per lineup who don't want the ball are over. Thus the pass gets out faster and far less panicking.

Finally if you want a zone dominant team you need to sacrifice offense because you need a slow tempo team like the last team we had that was good in the zone back in 2018( 345 in tempo) that reduced possessions to help their cause but we still weren't good because of an anemic offense.

The analytics support all the changes in the game and reduced effectiveness of the zone that has been further amplified by less talent but is still a major issue. The most effective use in today's game is as a defense you can effectively switch into to confuse an offense.

It was a hell of a weapon for a long while- it's just not anymore.

The talent has been subpar for years. We’d be mediocre playing any scheme defensively because the talent isn’t nearly good enough.

For sure but the zone adds a degree of difficulty vs reducing it in today's game.

Maybe a 24 second clock might help some but overall the wealth of shooting ability and position less trends in basketball is a trend that continues to work against it.

Our talent is awful. We had players tonight that couldn't see minutes at non-P5 schools.

Exactly. I’ve said it all year. I have no idea what people thought they were watching. We stink. The ACC stinks
We would have a losing record against a Mountain West schedule. If the ACC was the ACC of 5 years we probably go 4-16.

JB is really fortunate with the timing of it all.

Last edited:
I think they just stink. Benny and Bell are exactly what they’ve been when they got here. It’s poor scouting, recruiting, and coaching. These guys don’t belong in the ACC.
I disagree with this take. Bell and Benny both belong in the ACC, just as bench players playing spot minutes. Only Mintz and Jesse are ACC caliber starters

I don't know if they've quit. If they are that unhappy they should also be motivated to get some good game film/stats for the transfer portal. I think a more likely explanation is that the sum of our talent and coaching doesn't have the firepower to keep Clemson's walk-ons from getting on the court in a late February conference game. At this point, it is what it is.

I disagree with this take. Bell and Benny both belong in the ACC, just as bench players playing spot minutes. Only Mintz and Jesse are ACC caliber starters
Joe probably shouldn’t be starting in th e ACC and he is light years better than Bell.

While I agee that the talent level has significantly declined, I can think of a number of coaches that would have made this roster perform much better.

If they were a good coach they wouldn't have the current roster

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RSmith

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom