Things I'm looking for tonight | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Things I'm looking for tonight

• Can Battle replicate his strong performance from last Tuesday, and take another step toward the starting lineup?
  • Will Gillon continue to show that he can effectively run a team, while potentially not sacrificing offense like last game?
  • Does Howard bounce back from a generally unimpressive performance in terms of taking care of the ball?
  • How will AW3 play now that the first game jitters are out of the way?

Last edited:
kill_the_wabbit.jpg

Kill the wabbit! Kill the wabbit! KILL THE WABBIT!

I'm sorry, I just get so excited on game day and election day!

I am looking forward to seeing Andrew White get into a good rhythm and make some shots.

KILL THE . . .
(Never mind.)

• Will Gillon continue to show that he can effectively run a team, while potentially not sacrificing offense like last game?

I know you're a big Gillon fan, but while I can't agree that he's sacrificing offense. The cred that Howard gets about having great vision and boosting everyone's offense with his passing, Gillon has been labeled as "sacrificing" offense.

I know Frank is a big favorite around here but I can say completely unbiased that there wasn't much that impressed me about him last season, I think people saw an alternative to Kaleb Joseph and ran with it. Gillon showed more point guard skills in his little toe than I saw Frank show last year. But out of a second option last season Frank was far superior over Kaleb that it was easy to deem Frank the PG of the future. Just look at Gillon (granted only one game with us), look at Ennis before that and even MCW before him, out of all these point guards, Frank isn't even in the same stratosphere as them, even the numbers don't lie.

I don't think Frank is there yet, I'm hoping Gillon gets 30 mpg and Frank gets 10, I think we're a much better team and have a better offense with Frank on the bench this year.

I know you're a big Gillon fan, but while I can't agree that he's sacrificing offense. The cred that Howard gets about having great vision and boosting everyone's offense with his passing, Gillon has been labeled as "sacrificing" offense. .

During his first outing, he often didn't look to shoot / score at all in favor of getting others involved. That's what I mean by "sacrificing" offense. I'm not really sure how anyone can disagree that this was how he played in game 1, when he didn't look to attack at all. And there's nothing wrong with that--he's a new guy, in a new role, trying to fit in. But Gillon offers so much as a scorer/ shooter, and he's capable of a lot more offensively than what we saw in game 1. I think we'll see him do more offensively once he gets his sea legs and gets more comfortable with his new teammates.

Howard is one of my favorite players on the team, and I think he's going to have a great career here, but I agree that his improvement over the offseason has been blown out of proportion and exaggerated a bit. I actually see it as not so much being about Kaleb [per your post above], and more about Cooney last year. As in, some posters disliked Cooney and were clamoring for more Frank.

During his first outing, he often didn't look to shoot / score at all in favor of getting others involved. That's what I mean by "sacrificing" offense. I'm not really sure how anyone can disagree that this was how he played in game 1, when he didn't look to attack at all. And there's nothing wrong with that--he's a new guy, in a new role, trying to fit in. But Gillon offers so much as a scorer/ shooter, and he's capable of a lot more offensively than what we saw in game 1. I think we'll see him do more offensively once he gets his sea legs and gets more comfortable with his new teammates.

Howard is one of my favorite players on the team, and I think he's going to have a great career here, but I agree that his improvement over the offseason has been blown out of proportion and exaggerated a bit. I actually see it as not so much being about Kaleb [per your post above], and more about Cooney last year. As in, some posters disliked Cooney and were clamoring for more Frank.

Yes, I do agree that he sacrificed personal scoring but 9 assists in 20 minutes and change really showed that he was moving the ball extremely well. I can't wait to see him attacking and shooting like he did with his former team, that'll turn our offense into a real power.

Dont' get me wrong, I like Frank too and I think we'll have 2 great years from him and there is nothing wrong with that at all, I just don't see him being at the spot where he's going to lead a team to a championship.

I hear you guys about sacrificing offense but maybe that's the wrong way to label it. Gillon had 6pts and 9 assists in 20min. That means he was responsible for at least 24 points playing only half the game. The offense certainly didn't suffer because of him. I'd agree 100% that he did not aggressively hunt his own shot.

As far as Frank two3zone makes some legitimate points and I think many are expecting more from him this year than he may be able to provide. He shot the ball extremely poorly, wasn't exactly stellar in the zone last season and he was obviously a work in progress as far as playing the PG position. I think since coming to SU he has been transitioning from being a playmaker with the ball in his hands into an actual full time PG. There is a big difference in those two rolls to me. He flashed some great vision last year and showed how much he had improved by his NCAAT performance. I think he'll have a good year but I'm also not expecting greatness or an above average shooter after what I saw last year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom