Thinking about Turnover and Next Years Lineup | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Thinking about Turnover and Next Years Lineup

How Many Players from this Year's Roster are Replaced

• Total voters
Completely agree with dasher's sentiments on letting the season play out. The fans are too bipolar depending on the last game.
  • Mintz is a SG. We still need to recruit an actual PG who can elevate the rest of the team. 10 years and counting...
  • We need a forward who can score at all 3 levels and plays consistent defense. If Bell continues to improve he can be a very good 6th man on a top 25 team, but he should not be promised anything re: next year. We can't overreact to a great shooting night vs UNC. Bottom line is when he isn't shooting well he still doesn't add much else.
  • A skilled big man who is a reasonable threat to score. Doesn't have to be a low-post option. A stretch F/C ideally.
Taylor/Cuffe/Hima/Benny = 4 openings.
I wouldn’t count on Cuffe or Taylor leaving.

My best guess is Judah leaves, Bell transfers, Hima would have to be asked to leave but it's possible if 7'4 looks solidly healthy, and Brown will get a big bag someplace and could go (just because this is what happens now).

Presume that JJ, Quadir, Westry, Taylor, McLeod, Cuffe stay.
Brown leaving terrifies me. I like to think that how pivotal he’s been for us and how many minutes he gets gives us a really good chance that he’s happy. Tough to see him finding a better playing situation unless he’s adamantly opposed to playing extended time at the 5 and goes someone where he’ll get to be a true 4.

I don’t see why people think Brown will leave.? It’s totally against everything he is.

would like to see a PG, a power forward and a center added on top of the 2 recruits

wouldnt really understand if carey patterson and mcleod are all back fwiw...no way hima is back...wouldnt mind if all 4 backup centers are gone

cuffe isnt playing so not sure why he would even want to come back

taylor cannot continue to be a starter for this team...hes an end of the bench kinda guy, if anything

as far as judah...idk what his position is...and the team needs a PG badly

will certainly b interesting to see how it plays out

need some beef in the paint
None of us have seen Patterson play. Griff was very complementary of him, saying he is ahead of where Edwards was when he was a freshman.

If you want Carey gone, you and I have watched very different games where he has played. I see an aggressive, athletic guy who has a chance to be a good player. The form on his shot looks good, and he doesn't back down. He has good awareness. (Referring specifically to taking a jump shot to avoid a shot clock violation.)

He is also engaged. He talked about paying attention to what was happening on the court so he had an idea of what he needed to do when he went in the game.

You have to realize he lost 2 years. He is a freshman in terms of eligibility. His growth could be exponential. I see him as more of a 4 than a 5, but we will have to see what Red does. The coaches see him in practice, and will have an idea of his ceiling.

You want to run that guy off the team?

Hima was a good back up to Jesse. He had 47 (19 Off.) rebounds and 26 blocks in 200 minutes last year. His per 40 minute numbers were 9.4 rebounds (4.8 Off) and 5.2 blocks. We would take that all day from a starting center. Unfortunately, his physical injuries seem to be too much for him to be considered. He may just want to walk away.

I'm ok with McCloud. If he leaves, ok. If we recruit over him, fine. He will be a good practice foe, who can give minutes in games.

I feel badly for Taylor. I think if he could get some shots to fall, his confidence would soar and he could be an effective player. His defense is as good as our starting guards, and he is playing out of position against bigger guys. As a 2G, he might have a better time getting shots off against non-forwards. I would not be surprised if he left, but coach won't run him off. He works hard, and if you read between the lines, he is one of few who understand the defensive assignments and rotations. He has value right now, you just have to look for it.

I doubt Cuffe will leave. No inside info, but I think some people are being a bit too harsh on him. He has missed a ton of time due to injuries and is just now getting healthy. His development has been severely hindered. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a lot more from him next season.

Good question. Freeman at the 3 or Brown at the 5?
Freeman night have the skill to play the 3, he has a very impressive highlight reel at this point.

It would make us a very big team, if we play Brown and Freeman at the forwards, with the Highlander at center. If both Freeman and Brown show they can hit the open three, we might even be able to score with that lineup.

Unfortunately, we might have to play zone. ;)

Brown leaving terrifies me. I like to think that how pivotal he’s been for us and how many minutes he gets gives us a really good chance that he’s happy. Tough to see him finding a better playing situation unless he’s adamantly opposed to playing extended time at the 5 and goes someone where he’ll get to be a true 4.
My concern is that Brown is currently getting NIL like a former outside the top100 recruit, not like the top tier ACC starter he currently is.

He might need a big bump in pay that won't fit into our ability to pay.

I expect other teams to come calling, maybe with more money than we can match.

How do we keep Brown and Freeman on the court at same time?
Brown is going to be the starting C next season so that McD AA Freeman can play one forward and Bell plays the other. Keep an eye on Bell -- a 39% volume 3 pt shooter is a highly desired commodity. Watch out for a California school poaching him.

Brown is going to be the starting C next season so that McD AA Freeman can play one forward and Bell plays the other. Keep an eye on Bell -- a 39% volume 3 pt shooter is a highly desired commodity. Watch out for a California school poaching him.
You’re correct. Shooting is a hot commodity. He’s an elite shooter. If he has a post player with him, he could average 20 points a game.

Everyone is dissing Taylor. Do you realize we only have six players right now that play on the team and he is one of them? Don’t you think deserves some credit for being there every game? Have you ever seen any plays that are run specifically for him? He moves on the floor for both offense and defense, set picks and at least tries for rebounds.

If everybody else wasn't hurt, he'd be playing about 10 minutes a game. He plays hard, but he's just not good enough.

PG - Portal PG/Copeland
SG - JJ/Moore/Westry
SF - Freeman/Bell/Westry
PF - Brown/Freeman
C - Portal C/Brown/Patterson or Carey

Something like that I can see as long as the PG and C transfers are high quality. The portal PG needs to be able to shoot at a high clip.

As for Brown there are 2 factors:
NIL, and
PF forced to play C.
My guess is that both factors need to be corrected if we expect him to stay. If you have pro aspirations playing out of position is a big deal.

Red needs to turn most of the roster over and if he doesn't or can't, we need to hire a coach who can. I don't buy the he got the roster dumped on him argument, the same posters who say that are some of the same ones that said the assistants were the only ones recruiting when JB was here.
We need new eyes recruiting and evaluating talent, even if it's only 1 or 2 people. The coaching gene pool is too inbred.

I’m cool with whomever leaves as long as they aren’t dismissed
Told to transfer being different than dismissed in your book? There’s definitely a few guys that will be told to transfer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom