this game is prime example of how broken college basketball really is | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

this game is prime example of how broken college basketball really is

I'm not denying that it isn't effective, I just said that it makes the game nearly unwatchable. Yes for a long time teams slowed it way down and Dean Smith with all his "smarts" forced the creation of the shot clock in college b-ball with his 4 corner offense. And now, with teams like Princeton and UVa (to name a few) being successful pointing the way for every under manned team to do the same, the same thing is going to happen. The shot clock is going to get shortened. And by the way, UVa is under manned! McDonough and Greenberg were both sinning the praises of how athletic UVa is. There offensive sets would work just as well with a 30 second clock and even a 25 second clock. Patience for to get a good shot does not mean waiting 20 seconds before looking for a shot. Now stifling defenses are fun to watch for a teams fanes. SU's zone forcing a time clock violation gets cheers. So does UVa's. Thing is, with shorter clocks, more violations or desperate attempts will be seen
Don't know exactly what you are saying about UVa's players, but they are generally excellent athletes. That club is not undermanned.

Don't know exactly what you are saying about UVa's players, but they are generally excellent athletes. That club is not undermanned.
I specifically said that UVa was NOT undermanned. I just said that their style of play on top of Princeton's "success" pointed the way for under manned teams to go. I said that UVa's offense would work with a 30 or 25 sec time clock. Getting down to 24 may be unreasonable for most college athletes', forcing them play and make decisions they are not up to.

I've stated they play solid D, but let's be honest, they scored 59 friggin points and still won by a dozen. If that doesn't scream the lousy state of college hoops, than I don't know what does.

That was their gameplan. They are fully capable of scoring more points, they just knew that they could get a shot against our zone even if they started the offense 25 seconds into the clock. When you are playing against a team that doesn't have a lot of options on offense, and you have one of the best defenses in college basketball, it makes sense to slow tempo.

I specifically said that UVa was NOT undermanned. I just said that their style of play on top of Princeton's "success" pointed the way for under manned teams to go. I said that UVa's offense would work with a 30 or 25 sec time clock. Getting down to 24 may be unreasonable for most college athletes', forcing them play and make decisions they are not up to.
Re-check the sentence in the middle: "And by the way, UVa is under manned!" Which is what confused me.

Re-check the sentence in the middle: "And by the way, UVa is under manned!" Which is what confused me.
My mistake. Typing error although the ! could have given it away as meaning NOT.

Why is it no one complains about 3+ hour football games but when a baseball game gets to 3 hours it's the death knell for the sport?

I don't think I love college basketball anymore. If I have no rooting interest, I seem to have no interest. I won't watch UVA - Pitt (hypothetically) and I doubt anyone here would say they are taking time out of their day to tune in to that.

Because there is a lot more action in a 3 hr football game. I actually just read an article stating just that. Baseball has 1 play every 3.5 minutes whereas NFL is 1.48 and NCAA 1.37. I enjoy baseball, but I rarely, if ever, sit there and watch a non playoff game in it's entirety.

my kingdom for shorter football games, especially in college

the best thing college basketball has going for it is that it's 2 hrs and you can move on with your life. i hope they don't blow that

my kingdom for shorter football games, especially in college

the best thing college basketball has going for it is that it's 2 hrs and you can move on with your life. i hope they don't blow that
It's 2 hours, unless we are playing the nightcap of back-to-back games. Then, you can pretty much guarantee that the early game will bleed over into the SU time slot.

Just read it in the Feb 16th ESPN the magazine (with Adam Silver on the cover). There was a little blurb in there with the stats - NFL and NCAA were calculated with # of offensive plays (128 for NFL, 148 for NCAA) and MLB was balls in play (52 per game).

Don't get how that works. Foul shots don't count? Besides, the games are an hour (at least) shorter in the NCAA.

Don't get how that works. Foul shots don't count? Besides, the games are an hour (at least) shorter in the NCAA.

This is NCAA football, not hoops. The games are actually longer on average.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom