this game is prime example of how broken college basketball really is | Syracusefan.com

this game is prime example of how broken college basketball really is

Are the complainers happier now that scoring is up and we're losing? Some people just amaze me. VA has lost once this year, to Duke. I'd hate to imagine some folks watching a defensive football game, hockey, soccer, etc. I liked watching Loyola Marymount vs UNLV as much as anyone(and there was a LONGER shot clock then), but when the best defense in the nation meets a SU defense that is playing decent, what do people expect?

I came out of a self imposed ban for this thread because I think defense can be unappreciated, and the pressure contributes to unforced errors and missed shots that some might not directly attribute to it.

Last edited:
I honestly don't think the nature of college bball is what made that half so ugly. The play wasn't overly physical, so the only thing I think you could blame is maybe the shot clock.

You should have seen our board the first 14 min. The zone had it looking like the apocalypse.

Are the complainers happier now that scoring is up and we're losing? Some people just amaze me. VA has lost once this year, to Duke. I'd hate to imagine some folks watching a defensive football game, hockey, soccer, etc. I liked watching Loyola Marymount vs UNLV as much as anyone, but when the best defense in the nation meets a SU defense that is playing decent, what do people expect?

I came out of a self imposed ban for this thread because I think defense can be unappreciated, and the pressure contributes to unforced errors and missed shots that some might not directly attribute to it.

This type of team (virginia) being good is not good for college basketball. If I wanted to watch a sport where scoring was limited, I'd watch hockey or soccer.

This type of team (virginia) being good is not good for college basketball. If I wanted to watch a sport where scoring was limited, I'd watch hockey or soccer.

They did score like 20 points the last 6 minutes or so in the half. SYR offense is unwatchable.

They did score like 20 points the last 6 minutes or so in the half. SYR offense is unwatchable.

I agree 100%. But when a team just as offensively deficient can be #2 in the country, something is wrong. God save us all when teams across the nation start copying the snore fest that is the new virginia style (pack line bs).

Btw, I dislike the zone as well For the same reasons.

Your preference is valid and I respect it/you. I miss running as much as anyone, but as long as we won I wouldn't have minded a football score. The first NFL game I went to had a 9-6 final. My team had the 9, so I was elated.

Are the complainers happier now that scoring is up and we're losing? Some people just amaze me. VA has lost once this year, to Duke. I'd hate to imagine some folks watching a defensive football game, hockey, soccer, etc. I liked watching Loyola Marymount vs UNLV as much as anyone(and there was a LONGER shot clock then), but when the best defense in the nation meets a SU defense that is playing decent, what do people expect?

Comparing basketball to hockey and soccer?

Lol

Defense is one thing, but when the team takes 25sec before it really TRIES to start its offense, it makes for an unwatchable game.

For VA, they aren't a glamorous team, but D wins games and potentially championships, even if not glamorous and kind of ugly.

For VA, they aren't a glamorous team, but D wins games and potentially championships, even if not glamorous and kind of ugly.
I appreciate what they do on offense. They move the ball very well and can score from all 5 positions.

It's the defense that bugs me. But you can't blame UVA for all of the hand checking. If the refs are going to allow it, every team should do it, and more and more teams are.

I think this game was a prime example of how broken our offense has become over the years. Just utter garbage watching a stagnant, one-on-one brand of pro-style ball with kids who should be moving around, passing and cutting with the intent of getting the ball instead of what they are asked to do.

I want to believe in what some of you say about next year, but it's going to be another mediocre team, at best, with offensive issues.

I appreciate what they do on offense. They move the ball very well and can score from all 5 positions.

It's the defense that bugs me. But you can't blame UVA for all of the hand checking. If the refs are going to allow it, every team should do it, and more and more teams are.
I don't agree that they play the clutch and grab, Pitt style defense. They move and double at opportune times. They play hard and move their feet. It's a great defensive team buoyed by effort.

Defense is one thing, but when the team takes 25sec before it really TRIES to start its offense, it makes for an unwatchable game.

For a long time in college basketball, didn't folks milk the clock even more? I'm not as old as the majority of folks on here, but I think I read somewhere that even legends like Dean Smith tried it a few times.

I recall Princeton being heavily outmanned in the first game of a number of NCAA tournaments yet keeping themselves in the game. Was that wrong of them? Sean McDonough and Seth Greenberg went out of their way to defend UVA tonight, and it's kind of disheartening that they felt the need to.

I don't agree that they play the clutch and grab, Pitt style defense. They move and double at opportune times. They play hard and move their feet. It's a great defensive team buoyed by effort.
Definitely not as bad at Pitt, and I agree they doubled really well, but there was a whole lot of bumping out there. Again, I'd do it too if it's allowed.

I agree 100%. But when a team just as offensively deficient can be #2 in the country, something is wrong. God save us all when teams across the nation start copying the snore fest that is the new virginia style (pack line bs).

Btw, I dislike the zone as well For the same reasons.

Agree completely...basketball is about putting the ball in the basket. UVA plays solid D, but our offense is just darn right offensive. As good as UVA's d is statistically, we had a plethora of open shots in that first half in which we missed numerous opportunities to have a huge lead. A decent offensive team would've been up 24-2 when we were up 11-2.

A top 15-20 team at home beats this UVA team by a dozen or so. I realize their record portrays a team that is dominant, but they're far from that, similar to our 25-0 facade last year...they could've easily lost to VPI and Wake, two bottom feeders...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom