This is maybe a bit harsh | Syracusefan.com

This is maybe a bit harsh

Zelda Zonk

2022 Iggy Winner: ACC Tourney Record
• Too early to bother checking to see if this is statistically accurate, but this may be the worst rebounding team i've ever seen. Only Taylor and Copeland have any real nose for the ball.

• McLeod is a major problem. I've said before that i was very enthusiastic about what he could be—something like what Fab Melo did for us—but, he is horrendous as a rebounder. He is anti-rebound. Please go back and watch the first half of this game. Just focus on him. He's defending a jump shot. The shot goes up. His focus is then locked on the guy who shot the ball, and he follows the offensive player away from the ball. He doesn't even look to track the ball. He doesn't even seem to always be aware the shot has gone up. It's as if he has been programmed to block out, and only block out, and the ball is someone else's responsibility. This is not an exaggeration. Please, watch the 'tape.' Naheem needs to figure out how to get rebounds. I had him down for one rebound today. ONE. And it was one that bounced on the floor first. I had many rebounds just go past him, within reach, because he wasn't ready or even looking. Inexcusable. If he gets 8-10, we're a much better team. Much.

I really need someone to tell him to forget about blocking out. The ball goes up and now your responsibility is to turn and attack the ball. Forget the shooter. The shooter has to go around and/or over you and you're 7'4". Just get the ball.

• I'm done with Griffin as the bigs coach. It's just not working. And it's most evident on what i just wrote. That performance in that aspect of his game is inexcusable. The argument in favor of former guards coaching centers seems to be, 'Well, Duke has a staff of guards and their power players go to the NBA.' But, their players start out in the top 25 and all they have to do is not slip. We're trying to develop 'projects,' and we don't have the experience or intuition to do so.

• This was a difficult game to watch. Tennessee is overrated at #7—they play tremendous physical defense, and 'Konnect' is a good college player, but that's it. No NBA talent, no elite skill or talent. And it was encouraging to see us stay within arms length for so long. But, they're tougher than we are. We don't have a dog on the team. We don't have a physical advantage at any position. Even our 7'4" mountain is soft. And that's not so harmful when we are running and 'out-quicking' the opponent, but when it's a rock fight, we are going to get beaten up.

• Coaching—okay, it's early. But, aside from running (mostly m2m), i'm seeing a lot of the same fundamental problems that plagued us over the past ten-ish years under JB. We just never look like the smarter, better-drilled, more focused team. Sometimes it looks like we've had less practice time or something. Or like we're composed of transfers who have never played together. We somewhat are, but so is everyone else. That's the state of the game. Not sure what to make of Red at this point. I wanted us to go outside for a hire, because i expected that many of our problems would just continue with the same coaching staff. I'm still seeing that. But, i think we have headroom, and it just may be that we're going to develop and evolve slowly because head coaches don't go from zero to 100 'overnight.' Too soon to tell, and we have to put some of the stuff that looks like 'bad coaching' on the players who are out there executing without high ball IQ. Some. A lot of it is training, though. And schemes. And our training and schemes look insufficient right now.

• The rotation was baffling. Not sure i want to see Peter Carey in the game with 8+ minutes in the first half, against a quality, strong opponent. He was not ready. Did he hit the side of the backboard with that 6' jumper? I guess Hima is still hobbling. That's scary. Malik—as many of us have said—is not a good solution at 5, either. For every solid defensive play or steal, he gets abused twice. Benny probably needs to be back in the starting rotation. Taylor needs a lot of space to get shots off, and we don't have the offensive scheme to provide that for him at the moment. Benny seems to be able to shoot midrange or threes, and will at least put the ball on the floor semi-effectively if he has to.

• I'm sick of the 'weave' play outside of the 3-line, where zero penetration happens and eventually it's Naheem initiating a play at the top of the circle. Our picks are completely ineffective.

• Please tell me JJ's jumper didn't look like that in high school and college. I don't remember it being that funky/bad in the clips i saw. I thought we had a great outside shooter, but good lord, he is not that now. And that wrecks his driving game. He's going to need both to be successful. Malik took a three today. Never thought i'd see that. I don't want to see it again. I guess he's been practicing well...

• We didn't get destroyed. I think a lot of that is 'heart' and a lot was that Tennessee isn't 'all that.' Not sure what this game really demonstrated, though, in terms of the direct competition between these two teams. It was officiated badly. Judah basically didn't play in the first, and Knecht didn't play a lot in the second. And i don't know what the role was of the guy who got injured early in the game. But, we weren't destroyed. That's my takeaway. Not destroyed, plenty of headroom. But, we are going to need our outside game to be better. We need better shooting from Justin and JJ. Copeland has to stop being sloppy.

• Too early to bother checking to see if this is statistically accurate, but this may be the worst rebounding team i've ever seen. Only Taylor and Copeland have any real nose for the ball.

21-22 Season we allowed 37.8 rebounds a game. Good for 327th place.

So yeah, not saying we can't get there, but it'd be quite a feat.

Didn’t read. Just wanted to bring up the play where McLeod somehow got bamboozled by a half-hearted pass fake and watched as Tennessee’s guard dribbled through a whole airport runway of space to make an uncontested layup.

I’m very demoralized about what the staff has shown to date. I have to think a guy like pitino would have these guys drilled and showing signs of installing a system and identity.

I’m very demoralized about what the staff has shown to date. I have to think a guy like pitino would have these guys drilled and showing signs of installing a system and identity.
Speaking of drilled, isn’t that what Michigan did to Pitino’s St. John’s team already this season? They have also lost to Dayton and had a 1 point victory over North Texas.

Speaking of drilled, isn’t that what Michigan did to Pitino’s St. John’s team already this season? They have also lost to Dayton and had a 1 point victory over North Texas.
slick has proven he gets his team peaking and playing well over the course of a season. With the team being entirely transfers it may be a bunch of head cases, maybe not all that different than Cuse.

Or better yet show me an example from the last 25 years where Rick’s team just flopped and underachieved.

Yeah… except he doesn’t

I guess you haven't watched St Johns play yet this year. Not good. We have actually looked better. As crazy as that is.

I guess you haven't watched St Johns play yet this year. Not good. We have actually looked better. As crazy as that is.
I believe it. The new portal world may not be the best fit for slick. But let’s see where they are in a month or two.

Nah you’d be panicking about giving up 88 to Dayton in a loss and scoring 53 in a win against North Texas.
Yes I would but Rick has performed miracles before

slick has proven he gets his team peaking and playing well over the course of a season. With the team being entirely transfers it may be a bunch of head cases, maybe not all that different than Cuse.

Or better yet show me an example from the last 25 years where Rick’s team just flopped and underachieved.
The end of his Celtics tenure when “Larry Bird wasn’t walking through that door.”

Didn’t McLeod have like 7 blocks? What else is he supposed to do? He swatted mad buckets away today and altered others.

Taylor didn’t score and the Kneckt dude was his identical twin played hard and well but bro force it and get yours. Just give us 8 or 9 quietly somehow and game is different. JT is a very important player he can’t get goose egged.

Wasn’t a bad team effort we got problems like 4 games in zero with JJ and Judah clicking but might win tomorrow.

• McLeod is a major problem. I've said before that i was very enthusiastic about what he could be—something like what Fab Melo did for us—but, he is horrendous as a rebounder. He is anti-rebound. Please go back and watch the first half of this game. Just focus on him. He's defending a jump shot. The shot goes up. His focus is then locked on the guy who shot the ball, and he follows the offensive player away from the ball. He doesn't even look to track the ball. He doesn't even seem to always be aware the shot has gone up. It's as if he has been programmed to block out, and only block out, and the ball is someone else's responsibility. This is not an exaggeration. Please, watch the 'tape.' Naheem needs to figure out how to get rebounds. I had him down for one rebound today. ONE. And it was one that bounced on the floor first. I had many rebounds just go past him, within reach, because he wasn't ready or even looking. Inexcusable. If he gets 8-10, we're a much better team. Much.

I really need someone to tell him to forget about blocking out. The ball goes up and now your responsibility is to turn and attack the ball. Forget the shooter. The shooter has to go around and/or over you and you're 7'4". Just get the ball.

• I'm done with Griffin as the bigs coach. It's just not working. And it's most evident on what i just wrote. That performance in that aspect of his game is inexcusable. The argument in favor of former guards coaching centers seems to be, 'Well, Duke has a staff of guards and their power players go to the NBA.' But, their players start out in the top 25 and all they have to do is not slip. We're trying to develop 'projects,' and we don't have the experience or intuition to do so.

• This was a difficult game to watch. Tennessee is overrated at #7—they play tremendous physical defense, and 'Konnect' is a good college player, but that's it. No NBA talent, no elite skill or talent. And it was encouraging to see us stay within arms length for so long. But, they're tougher than we are. We don't have a dog on the team. We don't have a physical advantage at any position. Even our 7'4" mountain is soft. And that's not so harmful when we are running and 'out-quicking' the opponent, but when it's a rock fight, we are going to get beaten up.

• Coaching—okay, it's early. But, aside from running (mostly m2m), i'm seeing a lot of the same fundamental problems that plagued us over the past ten-ish years under JB. We just never look like the smarter, better-drilled, more focused team. Sometimes it looks like we've had less practice time or something. Or like we're composed of transfers who have never played together. We somewhat are, but so is everyone else. That's the state of the game. Not sure what to make of Red at this point. I wanted us to go outside for a hire, because i expected that many of our problems would just continue with the same coaching staff. I'm still seeing that. But, i think we have headroom, and it just may be that we're going to develop and evolve slowly because head coaches don't go from zero to 100 'overnight.' Too soon to tell, and we have to put some of the stuff that looks like 'bad coaching' on the players who are out there executing without high ball IQ. Some. A lot of it is training, though. And schemes. And our training and schemes look insufficient right now.

• The rotation was baffling. Not sure i want to see Peter Carey in the game with 8+ minutes in the first half, against a quality, strong opponent. He was not ready. Did he hit the side of the backboard with that 6' jumper? I guess Hima is still hobbling. That's scary. Malik—as many of us have said—is not a good solution at 5, either. For every solid defensive play or steal, he gets abused twice. Benny probably needs to be back in the starting rotation. Taylor needs a lot of space to get shots off, and we don't have the offensive scheme to provide that for him at the moment. Benny seems to be able to shoot midrange or threes, and will at least put the ball on the floor semi-effectively if he has to.

• I'm sick of the 'weave' play outside of the 3-line, where zero penetration happens and eventually it's Naheem initiating a play at the top of the circle. Our picks are completely ineffective.

• Please tell me JJ's jumper didn't look like that in high school and college. I don't remember it being that funky/bad in the clips i saw. I thought we had a great outside shooter, but good lord, he is not that now. And that wrecks his driving game. He's going to need both to be successful. Malik took a three today. Never thought i'd see that. I don't want to see it again. I guess he's been practicing well...

• We didn't get destroyed. I think a lot of that is 'heart' and a lot was that Tennessee isn't 'all that.' Not sure what this game really demonstrated, though, in terms of the direct competition between these two teams. It was officiated badly. Judah basically didn't play in the first, and Knecht didn't play a lot in the second. And i don't know what the role was of the guy who got injured early in the game. But, we weren't destroyed. That's my takeaway. Not destroyed, plenty of headroom. But, we are going to need our outside game to be better. We need better shooting from Justin and JJ. Copeland has to stop being sloppy.

I’m very demoralized about what the staff has shown to date...
4 games. 3 wins - including a 24 pt comeback win vs a NCAA tourney team that beat them the two previous two times they met - and a competitive loss to a Top 10 team. Wow. Tough crowd.

Turned on the WVU game and literally within 45 seconds Jesse gets a block on defense and then a dunk on the other end, then a defensive rebound.

Turned on the WVU game and literally within 45 seconds Jesse gets a block on defense and then a dunk on the other end, then a defensive rebound.
Forget him. Hope the amount of money he actually won’t get is worth it.

4 games. 3 wins - including a 24 pt comeback win vs a NCAA tourney team that beat them the two previous two times they met - and a competitive loss to a Top 10 team. Wow. Tough crowd.
There's some positive stuff in there. And i think i said there's lots of headroom, that we have "heart," that it's early and i expect development/evolution.

I said it was going to be "harsh." I think it was fair. The egregious stuff was egregious.

Ok so pick your poison. Would slick rick have them ready today or at the end of the season?? You changed your opinion quite quick given recent results.

agree on almost everything

wanna be "nice" and "understanding" but early returns got me a tad deflated...

so many teams in ncaabb seem to play with high bball IQ...their micro decision match their scheme and style of play and maximize winning chances...soo many ncabb teams are more than the sum of their parts, not less.

thats what I was hoping for with a coaching change...thats really all I wanna see from this team...and its looking iffy if it will happen.

I think we’re solidly in the field this year with him. Should never lose a kid to a peer school.

Pitino? Wow, you should really do some homework before trolling the coaching staff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom