This is the happiest I've been about Cuse football since... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

This is the happiest I've been about Cuse football since...

I don't believe you should ever make coaching decisions based on recruits. It's a crap shoot and has been proven year after year.
My point is I doubt Coyle fires him for an improved season when recruiting is as strong as it's been. I can see him not being convinced to extend him, but not outright firing him.

Normally id agree, but Coyle will easily see this is our best class in a long time. Shafer can clearly do that well. Why breakup that class instead of letting him play out his deal if there is progress?
I'm with you. It's just you hear what Coyle said at his press conferences about winning and competing for ACC Championships and going to special bowl games. Our recruiting is better but our class is still only ranked 10/14 in the ACC right now. And nothing is set in stone until they sign on national signing day. Unless you have a top 25 class, it probably won't matter to an AD when deciding to make a coaching change or not. If Gross was still AD then I would say unless we went 2-10 there's no doubt Shafer would be back. But this guy didn't hire him and he seems to be all about results on the field. That's the only concern I have if we don't win 6 and go to a bowl. Like I said, just win and this conversation doesn't even matter!

Last edited:
skytop44 said:
I'm with you. It's just you hear what Coyle said at his press conferences about winning and competing for ACC Championships and going to special bowl games. Our recruiting is better but our class is still only ranked 10/14 in the ACC right now. And nothing is set in stone until they sign on national signing day. Unless you have a top 25 class, it probably won't matter to an AD when deciding to make a coaching change or not. If Gross was still AD then I would say unless we went 2-10 there's no doubt Shafer would be back. But this guy didn't hire him and he seems to be all about results on the field. That's the only concern I have if we don't win 6 and go to a bowl. Like I said, just win and this conversation doesn't even matter!

You should look at the average rating for our players and compare that as opposed to ACC rankings. We have a small class this year - and numbers inflate a schools rating.

So for example, we're behind Wake by a little but they have 4 more guys. Our top guys are better than theirs and the average is better too. I like our class better.

When RW committed I looked at it and we were behind a bunch of schools but we had a better average than about half of the schools not named FSU, Miami, or Clemson.

You should look at the average rating for our players and compare that as opposed to ACC rankings. We have a small class this year - and numbers inflate a schools rating.

So for example, we're behind Wake by a little but they have 4 more guys. Our top guys are better than theirs and the average is better too. I like our class better.

When RW committed I looked at it and we were behind a bunch of schools but we had a better average than about half of the schools not named FSU, Miami, or Clemson.
I understand all of that and see that we're starting to bring in more quality talent at least as far as stars go. All I was saying was that the talent we're bringing in or recruiting in general will not have a big effect on a new ADs decision when making a coaching change for someone he didn't hire if we only win 3-5 games this season. I hope I'm wrong, but that's just my opinion on where things stand with our new AD. I think he has to get to a bowl when you take into account the situation. Again, just my opinion.

This isn't Nancy running things anymore, Kent isn't about to make a snap decision on a coach who manages to get as many players with a 3.0 as this team. Especially with the probation we are under for the next 5 years. Barring a complete collapse this year Scott Stays, and probably is extended.

My point is I doubt Coyle fires him for an improved season when recruiting is as strong as it's been. I can see him not being convinced to extend him, but not outright firing him.

He worked at Boise State. He understands the importance of quality coaching over recruits. Boise state wins because of their coaching and not because of high ranking classes. He's going to put the right coaches in place, recruiting will have no factor in any coaching decision.

Last edited:
Spanking No. 9 Louisville at the Dome earlier in the season was pretty sweet too. Ahhh, fond memories. Looking forward to - and praying for - more in the near future.

That was awesome! They also went on to beat #4 Florida in the Sugar bowl that year. Dome was loud for this one.

Another great thing for me is the fact that we've beaten WVU the last 3 games.

2010- beat them at WVU, they were ranked #19, sacked Geno like 5 times and picked him three times. WVU won 9 games that year.

2011- crushed them at home, they were ranked #14, Geno has a bad day again. WVU won 10 games, including the dismantling (70-33) of Clemson in the Orange bowl. Dome was rocking for this one.

2012- crushed them in the Pinstripe Bowl for our 3rd straight win against them. They weren't ranked when we played them, but they were as high as #5 earlier in the year when they started 5-0 with wins over ranked Baylor and ranked Texas. They were also ranked ninth in PPG and tenth in total offense that year. Geno beat up again (He had a rough career against Cuse, lol).

I don't know what is was, but Shafers defenses had their way with WVU. Great memories. A lot of pissed off WVU fans when I was leaving the Pinstripe bowl. They didn't respect our team going in, and winning our third in a row against them probably really stung, lol.

We absolutely humiliated the Mountaineers in the Pinstripe bowl.

Grabbing Neal to be paired with RW and the other weapons we accumulated is huge and I gotta give kudos to the staff. Recruiting wise we are getting closer and closer to where we want to be. Nice seeing continual progress and keeping the fans etc. in this despite the lack of recent success on the field.

Go Orange.

I love that people are this excited about Cuse football again. The basketball and lacrosse teams always get the excitement build up and I am loving that the football team is finally getting some love, even if some fans still are pessimistic & thinking this team can only win 4-5 games. Getting players like Neal and Washington not only add excitement to the product but also to the fans and other potential recruits who can look at Cuse as a real threat to produce contending teams. This excitement is exactly why I joined this board.
Go Orange! :)