This one is on JB | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

This one is on JB

I don’t often chime in. I’m a professional lurker. My first memory of SU basketball was listening to games with Bing and Coach in the backcourt. I’ve lived and died SU basketball
I’ve coached basketball for 38 years..
Tonight the X’s and O’s Spoke for themselves.
It was obvious.
I was lucky enough tonight to have seats near the bench.
I was shocked the way he speaks to his players.
It was all about him. Not these kids who are trying their best.
Wow.

thanks for the post. Not great to hear.

I don’t often chime in. I’m a professional lurker. My first memory of SU basketball was listening to games with Bing and Coach in the backcourt. I’ve lived and died SU basketball
I’ve coached basketball for 38 years..
Tonight the X’s and O’s Spoke for themselves.
It was obvious.
I was lucky enough tonight to have seats near the bench.
I was shocked the way he speaks to his players.
It was all about him. Not these kids who are trying their best.
It’s sad to hear that last part, but can’t say I am at all shocked.

At this point I’m hoping for a clean break at the end of the season and JB can ride off in the sunset. Hopefully JW will do the right thing and the program can get a fresh new direction.

It’s sad to hear that last part, but can’t say I am at all shocked.

At this point I’m hoping for a clean break at the end of the season and JB can ride off in the sunset. Hopefully JW will do the right thing and the program can get a fresh new direction.

Many here have speculated that this is JB's last season since his two sons are done this year, and it makes sense for him to leave at the same time.

HOWEVER, I also wonder what about the five new recruits coming in next year? If JB's intention is to retire after the spring of 2022, wouldn't the recruits be aware of this? He wouldn't recruit new players and keep them in the dark about this, especially a few of them stated publicly one of the reasons for them to come is to play for and learn from a HOF coach. So I doubt this is his last year.

Many here have speculated that this is JB's last season since his two sons are done this year, and it makes sense for him to leave at the same time.

HOWEVER, I also wonder what about the five new recruits coming in next year? If JB's intention is to retire after the spring of 2022, wouldn't the recruits be aware of this? He wouldn't recruit new players and keep them in the dark about this, especially a few of them stated publicly one of the reasons for them to come is to play for and learn from a HOF coach. So I doubt this is his last year.
I think it kind of comes with the territory of committing to a 77 year old coach that he might not be there for your full college tenure. Why did kids commit to UNC last year prior to Roy retiring or commit to any coach on the hot seat.

I think it kind of comes with the territory of committing to a 77 year old coach that he might not be there for your full college tenure. Why did kids commit to UNC last year prior to Roy retiring or commit to any coach on the hot seat.

I thought Roy's retirement was a surprise to everyone, including himself. I think he said “I no longer think I am the right man for the job.” to open his retirement speech. That suggests it was not a planned move. He wouldn't be thinking this 12 months prior and just kept it to himself. It was covid, the pauses, the portal, and everything else that all came together.

In JB's case, if his intention is to finish with his sons, then it would be planned and not a surprise.

It’s over. Who is going to tell JB?
He looked tired and worn out in the presser. These mediocre regular seasons have got to be a strain on him. Can't be good for his health.

I turned the game off early in the first half when I saw Jesse frantically trying to get to from one corner to another to defend a 3-point attempt. He didn't make it; the shooter did. The defensive scheme is ridiculous. I'm through until Boeheim retires. I know. Our HOF coach has earned the right to run the program into the ground.

I turned the game off early in the first half when I saw Jesse frantically trying to get to from one corner to another to defend a 3-point attempt. He didn't make it; the shooter did. The defensive scheme is ridiculous. I'm through until Boeheim retires. I know. Our HOF coach has earned the right to run the program into the ground.
And Jesse or Frank get the hook if they don't make that insane coverage. It's nuts

Wow.

thanks for the post. Not great to hear.
Its sad. Short of a miracle run we are not making the tournament this year and we might end up with a losing record.
Will JB retire after that kind of year? I seriously doubt it.
Personally i think hes here until hes 80.

Definitely remember seeing a few plugged in folks saying he will be here next season to coach the 5 man class, no clue what thread this discussion was in though.

Great look for Buddy though in terms of providing an insightful, informative and honest answer to a reporter's question. It's clear he knows a tremendous amount about the game and when he's done playing I'd imagine he'll go into coaching.
So the plan now is that JB will coach until Buddy can take over? :rolleyes:

Bennett may be the greatest contrast to JB's coaching demeanor -IMO.
What is so maddening is that the players are working their butts off to execute a defense he installed. It’s not working. The visceral anger, the red faced screaming directed at the kids is a classic case of deflecting blame onto the players.
‘If you did what you were supposed to, this would work.
I can’t imagine many highly regarded recruits, watching his behavior this year, would want to play for him.
Oh wait….

So the plan now is that JB will coach until Buddy can take over? :rolleyes:

All joking aside, I would be fine with Buddy coaching Syracuse, after he's proven himself elsewhere on the open market. If he earns it (years from now) that would be a cool story.

Took the kids to the game. Never really felt like SU would win the game. Virginia moved the ball so much better than SU. Our offense is basically all pick and roll or one on one. I can't stand how Buddy can make huge turnovers in the second half and JB says nothing to him. I like Buddy and he has turned into a great player but he obviously needs to rest a few minutes each half and JB plays him the whole game. I'm not sure if wins or Buddy's stats and getting to the next level is more important at this point. Please realize you don't relate to 19 year olds at 77 and ride off into the sunset with your sons after the season ends with a loss in the first round of the NIT.
All the posters who are hoping he retires will be singing his praises if he wins a few in a row.

All the posters who are hoping he retires will be singing his praises if he wins a few in a row.
"A few wins in a row" will not change the perception of many fans that it's time.
Hope JB enjoys coaching his kids then retires, regardless. JB earned that -but I'm not enjoying it much.
Can't allow his great legacy to continue being overshadowed and overtaken by the program's recent decay.
Had to stop watching JB's pressers awhile ago. Watching games now more a sense of duty than desire.
Just makes me sad for JB, the program, and my related loss of joy by no longer seeing a competitive team and rabid fan base represent all that's great about college hoops.
I want that back, and believe that the first step in that direction is JB allowing the next chapter to begin.

No actually not.
It’s 8 years of this.
We don’t recruit well.
We don’t change how we play that much.
We don’t develop much talent.
Our roster management has been brutal.

Boeheim knows how to not bottom out.
The program needs energy. It’s the same old same ole.

It’s not personal but this HC is not god. If he wants to coach his kids fine but this roster is 100% his doing and his kids are stars of a mediocre team.

We are going to go 2 ENTIRE SENIOR classes of students without playing a conference game as a ranked team.

Before 2014 JB’s average seed in the NCAAT was a 4 seed.
Since 2014 we have been a 10 seed 2016, 11 seed 2018, 8 seed 2019, 11 seed 2021.

It’s time for change. If we the fans are just passengers for Jim because he is bigger than the program then the big time boosters better come out and say this.

The foul line hook shot seems to be a new addition.
What is that thing ? It looks like the shots from NES classic “double dribble” only those would go in

No actually not.
It’s 8 years of this.
We don’t recruit well.
We don’t change how we play that much.
We don’t develop much talent.
Our roster management has been brutal.

Boeheim knows how to not bottom out.
The program needs energy. It’s the same old same ole.

It’s not personal but this HC is not god. If he wants to coach his kids fine but this roster is 100% his doing and his kids are stars of a mediocre team.

We are going to go 2 ENTIRE SENIOR classes of students without playing a conference game as a ranked team.

Before 2014 JB’s average seed in the NCAAT was a 4 seed.
Since 2014 we have been a 10 seed 2016, 11 seed 2018, 8 seed 2019, 11 seed 2021.

It’s time for change. If we the fans are just passengers for Jim because he is bigger than the program then the big time boosters better come out and say this.
That final four run literally killed the program

I will be 100% rooting for them to win a few in a row but not for JB to stay any longer than this year. This program has been a consistant bubble program for 8-9 years. Don't let a couple runs in the tournament change what the program has been. None of those teams had a team to actually win it all. As a fan I miss being ranked, miss being a top 10 team and being a number one seed. It was a great career but if JB is back it will be the same old hold our breath on Selection Sunday or even worse the NIT. Great career and he put SU basketball (2003!!!) on the map but all good things must come to an end and it is so obvious to anyone who knows the game there needs to be a change.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom