Thomas Bryant Situation | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Thomas Bryant Situation

I don't pretend to know anything about CMac's academic situation and don't want to insinuate that it is not perfectly fine.

But I am going to address players that are looking at one and done in general. After one year some of them have no choice but to leave for academic reasons. The process cannot be reversed despite the results on the floor. As I said this is a general point that applies to some, that may not apply to Chris at all.

Good point.

Level of competition, for one thing. Bryant isn't putting up big numbers against 6-2 guys.

watched those cancer tourney clips and well to each his own. diagne looks better me.

i do notice he's a foot taller than everyone else, he's probably not going up against 6'9 guys every night.

if DC were to hang it up he would keep his scholie and graduate.. thats up to him if he wants that route.

I didn't think about it, but Cooney's probably going to be graduating in the Summer. IDK if there's a minimum requirement for credit hours to be eligible to play, but that certainly makes paying his own way much more reasonable. Room and board could be killer, but I'd imagine he could find some accommodating roommates.

At most universities, it takes 11 credits to be considered a full time student.

At this point, I have come to the conclusion that almost no kids coming in, are going to satisfy JB's needs on the defensive end of the court in their first year. The best situation for them will be if there just isn't anyone in front of them. Otherwise, they will get very few minutes. JB has reached the point in his career where he feels that defense is just too important to let slide. ...

Spot-on.

I don't know anything about the current state of recruiting, but it's this fact that tempers my expectations for Bryant (despite what a couple of astute posters expect from him).

After seeing years of this sort of thing, it seems likely that he'll be Option #5 on offense and defensive lapses will keep him off the floor for long stretches. Difficult to get too excited for a young big man at Syracuse.

just for clarity, DC2 won't have been totally inactive for 2 years. he's practicing hard now and if deemed healthy enough might even get some summer run (even though I wouldn't risk it).

You know, put me firmly in the camp that is very skeptical about these reports. We've been hearing them since last year, but Coleman still walks with a limp. How much can he be doing in practice? Cardio, sure, and probably some drills, but I doubt he's playing full court scrimmages. I just don't see him coming back from microsurgery on his kneecap. Very few players do.

At most universities, it takes 11 credits to be considered a full time student.

Not to give any undue creedence to my suggestion, but are players required to be enrolled full time as grad students?

Bryant is at Kentucky tonight for the Mizzo game zags said Kentucky is making a big push to sign Bryant. I really hope if we get post season ban and loss of schollies that it is this year not next year although I think lost schollies will be over 2 years

Last edited:
Bryant is at Kentucky tonight for the Mizzo game zags said Kentucky is making a big push to sign Bryant

Wanna know who else Kentucky is making a big push for Thon Maker (when he reclassifies), Cheick Diallo, Stephen Zimmerman, and a few others.

I forgot more about recruiting then you know thanks for the update

I trust Francis who has prob forgotten more about recruiting then you. He says they have prioritized others ahead of TB. Those who i listed.

You know, put me firmly in the camp that is very skeptical about these reports. We've been hearing them since last year, but Coleman still walks with a limp. How much can he be doing in practice? Cardio, sure, and probably some drills, but I doubt he's playing full court scrimmages. I just don't see him coming back from microsurgery on his kneecap. Very few players do.

I agree with you. I think if he were well enough to truly go hard in practice he would be playing given that we've been operating all season without a true backup center and now we have not only lost what passed for our backup center, but we have a serviceable bodies issue. If he is going hard in practice he is just as susceptible to injury as he will be playing in games, maybe even more so.

I don't know? Maybe the difference is they know they can shut him down again at any point if necessary, but if they insert him in a game they are going to have trouble shutting him down and still preserving the year of eligibility.....

and all I did was repeat what zags said about Bryant not my opinion that he was going to Kentucky because I think he is all ours unless probation and no scholly

and all I did was repeat what zags said about Bryant not my opinion that he was going to Kentucky because I think he is all ours unless probation and no scholly

First. I get D-Chills when people say schollies, or scholly. It's scholarships.

Second. I want to get TB as much as anybody, but when did he become Ralph Sampson ? Pretty sure we will be fine either way.

Chino's ain't leavin
McCullough ain't leavin
Coleman ain't leavin

Give it up people. We might not get Bryant. We might get him. Either way were loaded next year. The Mike and Trevor show will be special.

Agree with this. I'm sure Bryant will be a fine player but nothing I've read suggests he's a once-in-a-lifetime transcendent talent. And he plays a position that Boeheim has for much of his career valued the least. I mean, we won a championship with Craig Forth in the middle! He'd rather run his offense through his guards and forwards. Only when there's little other choice does the plan change. Rak is certainly better this year than last but we also have fewer seasoned offensive options too. The jump he's made would have been smaller if he was a bigger part of the gameplan last year.

Next year will be an embarrassment of riches compared to this year with or without Bryant.

Agree with this. I'm sure Bryant will be a fine player but nothing I've read suggests he's a once-in-a-lifetime transcendent talent. And he plays a position that Boeheim has for much of his career valued the least. I mean, we won a championship with Craig Forth in the middle! He'd rather run his offense through his guards and forwards. Only when there's little other choice does the plan change. Rak is certainly better this year than last but we also have fewer seasoned offensive options too. The jump he's made would have been smaller if he was a bigger part of the gameplan last year.

Next year will be an embarrassment of riches compared to this year with or without Bryant.

Agree. Where does he rank among Anthony Davis, Nerlens Noel, Dakari Johnson.

1. Anthony Davis
2. Nerlens Noel
3. Dakari Johnson
4. Thomas Bryant

Again. Would still love to have him.

IMO there's alot of doubting of DaJuan's ability going on here, which I guess is normal considering he hasn't played much & has had such trouble with his knees. But everyone needs to remember that big guys take some time to develop, even when completely healthy. And yet, DaJuan's play in his Soph season still compares favorably to RAK's Soph year numbers:

DC Soph year (13-14): 13 games played, 2 double-doubles, 13.0 mpg, 583% FG, 4.2 rpg, 0.5 bpg, 4.3 ppg

RAK Soph year (12-13): 40 games played, 0 double-doubles, 20.9 mpg, 530% FG, 4.6 rpg, 1.8 bpg, 5.1 ppg

Basically, DaJuan put up pretty similar stats, even though he was playing less mins per game & also not completely healthy (knee injury)...though, DaJuan's stats may be a little skewed due to level of competition early in season.

If DaJuan can come back healthy next season (I know, big "if") I expect him to play pretty well.

Agree. Where does he rank among Anthony Davis, Nerlens Noel, Dakari Johnson.

1. Anthony Davis
2. Nerlens Noel
3. Dakari Johnson
4. Thomas Bryant

Again. Would still love to have him.

Davis was a once in a generation big guy who would have been great anywhere. Everyone rates behind him.

Noel was a perfect fit to play the middle of our zone and be a shot blocking whirlwind and even his limited offense was a good fit for what we did that season. He would have been an instant impact guy for us.

Bryant is a very good fit for us but likely not the instant gold Noel would have been nor a transcendent all around talent like Davis (but who is). That said IMO he is much better than Johnson was coming into college with better intangibles and a much higher ceiling.

This seems a classic downgrading a guy to temper disappointment in case we don't land him kind of response. Bryant would be a HUGE get for us and would have an impact in season 1 and every season there after that he stayed.

Davis was a once in a generation big guy who would have been great anywhere. Everyone rates behind him.

Noel was a perfect fit to play the middle of our zone and be a shot blocking whirlwind and even his limited offense was a good fit for what we did that season. He would have been an instant impact guy for us.

Bryant is a very good fit for us but likely not the instant gold Noel would have been nor a transcendent all around talent like Davis (but who is). That said IMO he is much better than Johnson was coming into college with better intangibles and a much higher ceiling.

This seems a classic downgrading a guy to temper disappointment in case we don't land him kind of response. Bryant would be a HUGE get for us and would have an impact in season 1 and every season there after that he stayed.
I love Bryant's motor active centers are great in our zone!

I love Bryant's motor active centers are great in our zone!

That's the reason I think he is an immediate season 1 impact guy for us. He's not as quick as Baye but he is very active and unlike Baye he has the beef and strength to stand his ground. Plus his defensive mistakes will not be due to lackluster effort. I would also say the DC2 was will be a bit rusty on D so its not like JB will have a 3rd or 4th year Baye to buzz in every time one of our centers misses an assignment. The thought of two (hopefully healthy) and very active big guys manning the middle and being able to go as hard as possible without worry of fouls or fatigue is very appealing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom