Thomas Bryant Situation | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Thomas Bryant Situation

Not to be a jerk, but local recruiting is hardly the lifeblood of the program.

You know, in fairness, we've had local kids start on 3 of our 4 Final Four teams (87, 96, 2013) and we had an upstate kid start on the '03 championship team.

87 - Howard Triche
96 - Z
13 - Brandon Triche

03 - Forth

You know, in fairness, we've had local kids start on 3 of our 4 Final Four teams (87, 96, 2013) and we had an upstate kid start on the '03 championship team.

87 - Howard Triche
96 - Z
13 - Brandon Triche

03 - Forth

I'm always happy to see us get a local kid. Its not like we bring them in unless they are legit D1 players. There is just something about a guy growing up routing for SU, working hard enough, having the talent and getting that offer that is cool. Tyler Lydon isn't local local but he's one of these kids that probably wanted to play bball at SU since he was a little guy.

Local recruiting is important for every school. If there is ever a 5 star prospect like another DaJaun, it would be nice if the player and community looked favorably on SU (which they do because SU has done a good job).

I remember the backlash Gary Williams received when Melo chose us over Maryland. That's not what you want.

Gotta take care of your backyard. It's not the lifeblood of the program but it's pretty essential.

Local recruiting is important for every school. If there is ever a 5 star prospect like another DaJaun, it would be nice if the player and community looked favorably on SU (which they do because SU has done a good job).

I remember the backlash Gary Williams received when Melo chose us over Maryland. That's not what you want.

Gotta take care of your backyard. It's not the lifeblood of the program but it's pretty essential.

Actually I believe the lack of landing local recruits and the grief he received over it was what ultimately made Gary decide to hang them up. He was tired of the recruiting game for sure and it was said that he rarely did much recruiting himself near the end leaving most of it to his assistants. I'm not sure that MD has really competed for the top Bmore and DC guys in a long time though.

Actually I believe the lack of landing local recruits and the grief he received over it was what ultimately made Gary decide to hang them up. He was tired of the recruiting game for sure and it was said that he rarely did much recruiting himself near the end leaving most of it to his assistants. I'm not sure that MD has really competed for the top Bmore and DC guys in a long time though.

Rudy Gay, too

87 - Howard Triche
96 - Z
13 - Brandon Triche

03 - Forth

Don't forget Wallace was on that 96 team as well. Rochester is nearly local.

...Bobby Lazor...

abandon.gif

Don't forget Wallace was on that 96 team as well. Rochester is nearly local.

And Greg Monroe started on the 87 team and Matt Gorman was a deep bench guy on the '03 team. I only went to Forth on the '03 team because there was no Syracuse kid on it.

Bryant is a very good fit for us but likely not the instant gold Noel would have been nor a transcendent all around talent like Davis (but who is). That said IMO he is much better than Johnson was coming into college with better intangibles and a much higher ceiling.

This seems a classic downgrading a guy to temper disappointment in case we don't land him kind of response. Bryant would be a HUGE get for us and would have an impact in season 1 and every season there after that he stayed.

Can you give specific reasons why you think he's a good fit? He doesn't appear any more athetlic than DC2 and doesn't run the floor any better either. Diagne looks to have a much higher ceiling and appears (on film) to be way more athletic.

I dont see how he fits particularly well in the back of the zone and i dont believe any offense will run through him. No real idea how he is as a rebounder either.

I think he's a decent player. I just don't think he's a can't miss or any better than our last 3 or 4 centers (Ricky Jackson, Arinze, Rak, Melo) and if they play the same position i think it'll be tough to unseat Diagne.

Just curious. Someone break it down for me.

I trust Francis who has prob forgotten more about recruiting then you. He says they have prioritized others ahead of TB. Those who i listed.
No need to keep dragging my name in your message board beefs. Yes UK has prioritized other bigs for a much longer time than Bryant. That doesn't mean UK is going to stay away from him and never show any interest. UK isn't going to get everybody they seek, so if they get intel that a few prospects are leaning elsewhere then obviously Bryant will move up on their priority list. Nothing is concluding now, so we'll see how it all shakes out in the spring.

watched those cancer tourney clips and well to each his own. diagne looks better me.

i do notice he's a foot taller than everyone else, he's probably not going up against 6'9 guys every night.
His team features about three guys that are also about 6'9. So technically yes he's facing those guys every night when you consider practice;).

I always thought him turning down the opportunity to go to Oak Hill was a huge mistake in his development. Look at how ready BMK was to play from the get go coming from Oak Hill as compared to Fab/DC2.

Saw the Oak Hill squad at the airport in Memphis on Friday. Big kids - but most were really skinny. Think they got beat the next day.

Saw the Oak Hill squad at the airport in Memphis on Friday. Big kids - but most were really skinny. Think they got beat the next day.
You probably didn't see their big man that's going to Ohio St next season. Dude is built like Rak already. I'm blanking on his name though lol.

Can you give specific reasons why you think he's a good fit? He doesn't appear any more athetlic than DC2 and doesn't run the floor any better either. Diagne looks to have a much higher ceiling and appears (on film) to be way more athletic.

I dont see how he fits particularly well in the back of the zone and i dont believe any offense will run through him. No real idea how he is as a rebounder either.

I think he's a decent player. I just don't think he's a can't miss or any better than our last 3 or 4 centers (Ricky Jackson, Arinze, Rak, Melo) and if they play the same position i think it'll be tough to unseat Diagne.

Bryant played much more like a wing early on in highschool before bulking up. Once he bulked up it really took a while for his athleticism and running to catch back up. He has a very nice jumper, is an above average passer (especially from the high post) and can get by most guys his size. He's also a legit 6-10 and pretty filled out. Diange is probably more athletic but Bryant is bigger and has enough athletic ability to play above the rim even on his 2nd jump. He also does a great job of keeping the ball high which is so effective with his length and height. I really like his energy level and attitude to go with some seriously legit size and a very well rounded skill set. He has always played very hard and actively which is important in the zone and can actually cover plenty of mistakes because its disruptive,

You probably didn't see their big man that's going to Ohio St next season. Dude is built like Rak already. I'm blanking on his name though lol.

Yup, saw him. Giddens. It's amazing how 224 doesn't look all that big on a 6'10" guy. Then again, they were all in track suits (do the kids say that still), so you didn't get a gage of muscle/etc.

I love all the mostly uninformed conjecture in this thread. Love it so much here's mine (confirmed uninformed).
CMac - Should come back. But I feel Chris is one of those kids you just can't predict. As someone else said uinless he hates class or JB a lot I have a hard time finding a reason for him to leave. Unless he is concerned about PT next year with the new guys coming in and Roberson hopefully developing. My guess is he comes back but I really think it's 50/50.

Bryant - Honestly believe SU is the best place for him. Crean really isn't that good a coach and I just don't see him going to UK. They've already signed the #1 C and are still recruiting #3, 4, and 5. He'll got to UK if he wants to play less than 20 minutes per game but get challenged in practice.

Coleman - I don't see how anybody can predict anything having to do with Coleman. But I think his status as a "token starter" as a top local recruit is gone. He is now a project that may or may not play dividends down the road. And no matter how healthy he is he doesn't start over Bryant if he comes. Bryant will inherit the guaranteed starter position and hopefully be better than the last 3 freshman C's that got it (Melo, Christmas, Coelman) who lets be honest, none of them deserved PT say nothing about starting. As much as I hope Coleman comes back healthy and can play at full strength for the next 2 years I hope I never see him trying to play the 4 on d in the 2/3.

Cooney - Surprised I even have to say this but he ain't going anywhere.

Roberson - This is it. If he doesn't figure it out over the next few weeks there are more players coming in next year that want his spot. He is so very close to breaking out. I still have hope because he gets easy shots. It just seems he expends so much energy to get the shot that he comes up short and is unable to finish. If he becoems a double double guy the rest of the season I think he holds onto his spot next year no matter who is on the roster. If he doesn't its back o the bench and finish out his career as a rebounding role player. My money is on him developing.

Obokoh - Whoever said there is zero chance of Obokoh starting next year is either naive or ignorant. As of today he is the only healthy center on next years roster and the jury is definitely out on the others. This is his chance.
Play well the rest of this year and he earns a spot in next years rotation. I think he'll surprise a few people and have some productive moments.

Diagne - Contrary to how he's listed by recruiting services I believe he is a Center at SU. He may be able to play the 4 defensively but I believe his offense is a C's offense.

Lydon - His role'll be determined by how his shots fall. He's a shooter and face to the basket player. At SU he is a 3 but at 6'9" will be able to help at the 4.

Richardson - I think JB would love to have him start next season. Doubt it happens though. Cooney and G are ahead of him but will be the first non-big man off the bench. Hope to goodness he can play perimeter D because we need his offense on the floor as much as possible. My only (imo) outlandish prediction is don't be surprised if Richardson starts at the 3 and Gbinije goes back to the 6th man role. Just saying.

Howard - Not sure how much of a role he gets as a combo guard next year. Maybe none. Definitely recruited as a PG I think he is more combo than Joseph is this year.

Joseph - KJo starts as the PG again. I'm betting he develops and is above average next year. He already does a lot of good things, needs to eliminate some of his mistakes. He has been exactly what I was expecting. Perhaps nto quite what I was hoping for but that's my fault.

Patterson/Johnson - They've got the rest of this season to prove they belong. I like the role Patterson is creating for himself. I'm cautiously optimistic for BJ. I think he needs to be more aggressive and not think like a bench player when he is on the court.

Phatty, if you watched him when he was still at Kearny, he had outstanding small forward skills, kind of what Andre Blatche used to look like at Henniger when he was a young player. And like Blatche, Bryant has filled out and his game has improved inside. But he's still got outstanding ball skills and handle for a guy who is so big. He used to play a little soft when he was Chino's sidekick in Rochester, but once he went to the WV prep school (and really, once he got that invite to the USA basketball camp), he really turned on his "inner beast" and became a much better player. IMO, he is way more skilled than Arinze or Big Rick were, and they were both excellent players for us. I see Bryant as a 2 year player, probably. I really hope we get him, because I think Coleman is done.

Agree 100%. I don't expect him to be a 1 and done, and I don't expect him to come anywhere close to duplicate Rak's numbers next year if he ends up at SU. But I see him as a 10 and 8 guy from the jump, with the potential to be an Arinze like inside terror the following year or two.
If he were to go 10 and 8 his freshman year, I'd be afraid of him leaving. Legit 6' 10" with a pro body and skillset screams potential, and that's all the scouts seem to care about.

I love all the mostly uninformed conjecture in this thread. Love it so much here's mine (confirmed uninformed).
CMac - Should come back. But I feel Chris is one of those kids you just can't predict. As someone else said uinless he hates class or JB a lot I have a hard time finding a reason for him to leave. Unless he is concerned about PT next year with the new guys coming in and Roberson hopefully developing. My guess is he comes back but I really think it's 50/50.

Bryant - Honestly believe SU is the best place for him. Crean really isn't that good a coach and I just don't see him going to UK. They've already signed the #1 C and are still recruiting #3, 4, and 5. He'll got to UK if he wants to play less than 20 minutes per game but get challenged in practice.

Coleman - I don't see how anybody can predict anything having to do with Coleman. But I think his status as a "token starter" as a top local recruit is gone. He is now a project that may or may not play dividends down the road. And no matter how healthy he is he doesn't start over Bryant if he comes. Bryant will inherit the guaranteed starter position and hopefully be better than the last 3 freshman C's that got it (Melo, Christmas, Coelman) who lets be honest, none of them deserved PT say nothing about starting. As much as I hope Coleman comes back healthy and can play at full strength for the next 2 years I hope I never see him trying to play the 4 on d in the 2/3.

Cooney - Surprised I even have to say this but he ain't going anywhere.

Roberson - This is it. If he doesn't figure it out over the next few weeks there are more players coming in next year that want his spot. He is so very close to breaking out. I still have hope because he gets easy shots. It just seems he expends so much energy to get the shot that he comes up short and is unable to finish. If he becoems a double double guy the rest of the season I think he holds onto his spot next year no matter who is on the roster. If he doesn't its back o the bench and finish out his career as a rebounding role player. My money is on him developing.

Obokoh - Whoever said there is zero chance of Obokoh starting next year is either naive or ignorant. As of today he is the only healthy center on next years roster and the jury is definitely out on the others. This is his chance.
Play well the rest of this year and he earns a spot in next years rotation. I think he'll surprise a few people and have some productive moments.

Diagne - Contrary to how he's listed by recruiting services I believe he is a Center at SU. He may be able to play the 4 defensively but I believe his offense is a C's offense.

Lydon - His role'll be determined by how his shots fall. He's a shooter and face to the basket player. At SU he is a 3 but at 6'9" will be able to help at the 4.

Richardson - I think JB would love to have him start next season. Doubt it happens though. Cooney and G are ahead of him but will be the first non-big man off the bench. Hope to goodness he can play perimeter D because we need his offense on the floor as much as possible. My only (imo) outlandish prediction is don't be surprised if Richardson starts at the 3 and Gbinije goes back to the 6th man role. Just saying.

Howard - Not sure how much of a role he gets as a combo guard next year. Maybe none. Definitely recruited as a PG I think he is more combo than Joseph is this year.

Joseph - KJo starts as the PG again. I'm betting he develops and is above average next year. He already does a lot of good things, needs to eliminate some of his mistakes. He has been exactly what I was expecting. Perhaps nto quite what I was hoping for but that's my fault.

Patterson/Johnson - They've got the rest of this season to prove they belong. I like the role Patterson is creating for himself. I'm cautiously optimistic for BJ. I think he needs to be more aggressive and not think like a bench player when he is on the court.

What about Silent G? Are you saying that if CMAC stays and Bryant Commits, Silent G leaves?

What about Silent G? Are you saying that if CMAC stays and Bryant Commits, Silent G leaves?
My silence on G means his role/position likely don't change next year, like Cooney, he ain't going anywhere.

My silence on G means his role/position likely don't change next year, like Cooney, he ain't going anywhere.

Its going to be very nice having those two 5th year seniors playing the 2g and SF for us next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom