Thomas Bryant | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Thomas Bryant

Syracuse has a BS reputation now for not developing talent at the 5. However undeserved the label is, I think it's going to affect recruiting at that position for a little while. I can't imagine there is literally any real advantage in choosing Indiana over us, but Zeller went pro so that must mean Crean developes big man talent... in the mind of teenager looking for the most direct route to the NBA.

Whatever. I wish the kid well no matter how stupid his choice was.

Is that perception really true? I have no idea. Francis would probably know for sure. Seems like Bryant's decision was purely based on getting out of the area and away from home, no? Or Boeheim didn't close the deal since he went to Huntington?

Fab was 2 and done number 21 draft pick who played the game of basketball for 4 years whats there to develop?
Rak was a skinny 6'11 Pf playing center in HS averaged only 10ppg.
Dajuan coleman has two bad knees.
Arinze Onuaku was only a 3 star recruit I believe played in the nba without being drafted.
Jerami Grant was two and done as a PF.
Rick Jackson was a 3 some said 4 star who got a look at the nba without a jumpshot.
That is the last 7 years.
Go five before that and Watkins and Warrick were drafted into the NBA.

If there is its dead wrong. We are out recruiting bigs right now.

Is that perception really true? I have no idea. Francis would probably know for sure. Seems like Bryant's decision was purely based on getting out of the area and away from home, no? Or Boeheim didn't close the deal since he went to Huntington?

I assumed Bryant's decision was based on his perception of the playing time he'd get here, but that's just a guess. If he just wanted to get away, I'd imagine there were better options than s**thole Indiana.

My assessment of that perception comes from my experience on national boards. Anytime Syracuse is brought up in a converasation about a recruit at Center, a lot of people tend to chime in that Boeheim ruins big men.

I assumed Bryant's decision was based on his perception of the playing time he'd get here, but that's just a guess. If he just wanted to get away, I'd imagine there were better options than s**thole Indiana.

My assessment of that perception comes from my experience on national boards. Anytime Syracuse is brought up in a converasation about a recruit at Center, a lot of people tend to chime in that Boeheim ruins big men.

Interesting. Crean is probably a good salesman with his B.S. and outgoing demeanor. Bloomington is a nice college town however. Indy is great. Towns like Muncie and Evansville suck but having been to B-Town a few times; I can tell you it's nice for sure.

Interesting. Crean is probably a good salesman with his B.S. and outgoing demeanor. Bloomington is a nice college town however. Indy is great. Towns like Muncie and Evansville suck but having been to B-Town a few times; I can tell you it's nice for sure.

I just meant the program in general. Coach sucks, players are iffy, fans are weirdos. Stuff like that. Assembly Hall seems nice, though.

This could be one of those deals that might work out in our favor. Especially if he leaves after one season. With us down on scholarships we really can't afford to lose anyone early. As it is, we don't have anything to offer Taurean Thompson yet.
That is a good point about losing a guy early. I was thinking only of this year, but you are right to have the longer term view.

You really want to face a team that has a beast at the 5? Who stops TB against us?
Why don't we ask this guy? He was the beast of the year at the pivot. Look where it got him.
032813-Syracuse-Indiana.jpg

Why don't we ask this guy? He was the beast of the year at the pivot. Look where it got him.

Yeah, but I see Rak in the photo, even before his breakout year he was a solid 5 in the zone. DC or Chino isn't doing that to anybody.

Just took a L to the worse team in the ACC last year. Guess who the weakest link was? Every time I looked up he was getting abused.

8pts 8 reb, 2 blk freshman not wearing SU colors is considered being abused, in Orange he's considered a lottery pick.

Not sure if you saw the game or not so this isn't meant to sound snarky. It became pretty evident down the stretch that Wake was trying to get whoever Bryant was guarding on an island and attack him. They cross screened low to get a one on one on the low block for a few buckets and then when it was a 1 point game/tied with less than 1 min left on back to back possessions they spread the floor, pulled his man a step or two above the arc for a ball screen, and allowed their pg to attack Bryant in space. That led to two lay ups that gave Wake the lead twice.

Bryant is a real good player and undoubtedly would've helped us quite a bit this year. As Francis tweeted out playing in our zone would've helped hide one of Bryant's biggest weaknesses, his lateral quickness. In Indiana's system my guess would be every school with a stretch big just pulls Bryant away from the paint and tries to nullify his strength of interior defense/rebounding and then try to get him with some cheap fouls by reaching/bumping when he gets caught flat footed in space. He'll still be a real good college player though NBA prospects might be tough if he can't guard away from the rim on screen and rolls.

How about now? Looks familiar to me. ;)
-f7fe42d065d8e015.jpg

Hope that wasn't on one of the many and ones that Coleman allowed :eek:.

I kid I kid. They looked great today. The interior passing defense needs some work but the guys did great today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom