Class of 2014 - Thomas Holley | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 Thomas Holley

I'd like to remind folks that NY top talent isn't motivated to stay in NY. SS and his team is doing it right, go after the kids that want to play here, regardless of where they are from. Want top talent from NY to stay here, lets get a consistent winner and contender back on the field. Who cares about NYC and NJ kids unless they are serious about our school again. I frankly hear more about SU in the DC area than I ever did when I lived in NYC for 10 years, unless it was basketball that is, and SU is just as prominent here in the DC area with that as well.

As for top talent that chose to shun us, where are they now?

2011 : Ishaq Williams, ND 3rd year, projected back up CAT LB or 3rd Down DE (Starts: ZERO) Needs a break out year according to the Blue and Gold in 2013. Unlikely to replace Shembo at CAT, so Kelly trying to find someplace to put him in, otherwise more of the same as last year for Williams.
2012: Jaron Jones, ND 2nd year RS Freshmen, projected to possibly compete at DE (Has not played) Came in a little over weight in spring camp at 305. Too big and slow at DE at that size, IMO, especially in a 3-4.
2013: EO, Clemson, TBD when he plays, early enrolle, projected to compete for DE/LB and Special Teams
Honorable Mention: AE (2013) Not in the same class as those above, Miami, FB, projected (fall arrival) Yes, thats FB, not a position AE said he wanted to play, intresting to see how that turns out.

So another words, what have we really lost except for our pride in keeping top local talent in the state? So far, not all that much. These guys may turn out to be awesome, but the general view of NY Talent is simple, they are behind the "S" curve and need more development time. Of late, that has shown to be true with Williams and so far Jones who was redshirted last year. That is the chance these kids take going to these schools over SU. Highly likely Williams would have been a full starter here, no question in my mind on that one, but the big question is at ND as he starts his 3rd year. So, another words, I agree with OrangeMojo on this one, lets keep focused on the big picture and not a couple of local prospects. Now, that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see this kid come here......winning and being nationally respected again would take care of most of that.

it's not the fact that everyone is saying we have to recruit NY, it's the fact that there is a athletic 6'5 290lb DT in our prime recruiting area. I don't know of many people who wouldn't want this kid. All I am saying about these type of kids are these are the ones we are supposed to have the best chance at landing. Honestly do you think we have a better shot at landing a top 100 kid from NY, or from Georgia, or even Illinois? Obviously our track record recently hasn't been great, but that will change with wins. Personally I really liked DM's approach of NY first.

it's not the fact that everyone is saying we have to recruit NY, it's the fact that there is a athletic 6'5 290lb DT in our prime recruiting area. I don't know of many people who wouldn't want this kid. All I am saying about these type of kids are these are the ones we are supposed to have the best chance at landing. Honestly do you think we have a better shot at landing a top 100 kid from NY, or from Georgia, or even Illinois? Obviously our track record recently hasn't been great, but that will change with wins. Personally I really liked DM's approach of NY first.
I'm ok with that as long as we go to the next level in NY. We have had success in NY but not the top talent for whatever reason. I will say this, NYC to Syracuse is a big change for these kids. So, yes, continue to go for it, but don't forget the other 49 states as well. As for DM, he had strong roots and another Coach that was highly respected in the NYC area. He started the turn around, now SS has the task to taking us to the next level, which in my mind is a top 30 recruiting program and a consistent threat of being a top 25 team. Win the respect on the field, with the voters, with the coaches, the rest will happen all by itself. Syracuse has a huge advantage for higher end athletes, and that is PLAYING TIME, not to mention the new look ACC who simply needs to pull together a champion to gain back some respect.

Third time is the charm?
bGotta admit the well has gone dry on those kids no point in drilling any further unless its my Travis Lock who I want in the backfield wearing orange colored accoutrements.We lose Jerome for 2014 and a great partner forMorris would be Lock unless Howard turns out to be special inside the tackles.:p

bGotta admit the well has gone dry on those kids no point in drilling any further unless its my Travis Lock who I want in the backfield wearing orange colored accoutrements.We lose Jerome for 2014 and a great partner forMorris would be Lock unless Howard turns out to be special inside the tackles.:p

how about McFarland?

at least he can base it off having watched them each play...oh wait...
he saw them play (in a 2 minute highlight tape against varying levels of competition)

I've never understood the thinking that because a player lives in NY and then decides to play football in another state, that is somehow a failure of the staff. That's 1950's recruiting rationalization.

I dont think we have to worry about recruiting with this staff. NY will always remain a priority. Doug and Ans did a good job opening the pipeline and Scott and crew will continue that. Lets not forget that HCSS ran the side of the ball that most of the NYC kids play for. Morgan Reddish Williams Sloan all D guys all from the city and all recruited by and playing for our now head coach. NY will be fine.

I agree but lets not forget how heavily wayne morgan was recruited and we won that battle (Reddish had some nice offers as well if im not mistaked). We lose more than we win with the big recruits but that may turn around soon enough.
And lets not forget we already lost probably the best prospect from NYC or the State for that matter for 2014 already to ND. (DT Jay Hayes) Heard it was the William's connection that pulled this one in as well. So much for loyalty, which is a two way street, IMO.

And lets not forget we already lost probably the best prospect from NYC or the State for that matter for 2014 already to ND. (DT Jay Hayes) Heard it was the William's connection that pulled this one in as well. So much for loyalty, which is a two way street, IMO.
loyalty? why would any kid have a sense of loyalty for us? it doesn't even make sense.

loyalty? why would any kid have a sense of loyalty for us? it doesn't even make sense.
Maybe alluding to the parents of williams but honestly, that statement just beats a dead horse.

It's still going to take a while. When most of us were young, we didn't really have loyal rooting interests like a high-schooler would. It's going to take some time to really ingrain SU Football into the minds of NYC kids. The kids in middle school now, who are developing their passions for sports teams, are going to be the ones who will (probably) be more inclined to go Orange as the marketing continues and the on-the-field success continues. Patience.

It's still going to take a while. When most of us were young, we didn't really have loyal rooting interests like a high-schooler would. It's going to take some time to really ingrain SU Football into the minds of NYC kids. The kids in middle school now, who are developing their passions for sports teams, are going to be the ones who will (probably) be more inclined to go Orange as the marketing continues and the on-the-field success continues. Patience.

spot on. these kids we are recruiting don't even remember our success with McNabb, Freeney, Harrison, Darius etc, let alone our undefeated season in 87, and success before that. This was never going to be a quick rebuild. We can't just expect some of the top kids, even the top in state kids to start choosing us as if it is what they are supposed to do. Marrone has done an outstanding job laying the ground work, now it's to HCSS to take it to the next level. It's important we keep putting bowl teams on the field, and continually upgrading our talent. Once we are a consistent winner again that's what the kids coming up will see us as, and eventually we should get to a point where it should be almost automatic that in state kids are choosing us. This isn't a sprint, it's a marathon, and we are on the 1st leg.

I think he meant loyalty towards Williams dad who is liked tremendously by NYC recruits for some reason.

Holley will be at the Spring game

Now Holley will not attend the spring game, but will go to the Penn St Spring game instead . I already really dislike this kid

Holley has been cleaning up during Spring Camps. Has been DL mvp, or rated as one of the top defensive players at each one he has participated in. Doesn't even seem like we are in the picture though. Don't even get a mention.

Yeah, read where he says him mom doesn't want him playing too far away from home.

Yeah, read where he says him mom doesn't want him playing too far away from home.
In one article I read he said he wants to go down south, but his mom wants him close to home. Let's see who wins out. Hopefully he realized momma knows best

He's a teenager with man boobs and beer gut. Give him four stars with that physique, imagine how good he can get with a strength and conditioning program.

He's a teenager with man boobs and beer gut. Give him four stars with that physique, imagine how good he can get with a strength and conditioning program.
That analysis should reel him in.

He's out at the Opening with Samuel right now. I saw somewhere that Samuel hit a 40 inch vert.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom