Thompson's future | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Thompson's future

He loves the game that's for sure...but then again I love the game too and that didn't seem to matter for me. Always appeared like he was willing to learn to me and had a good relationship with JB and the coaches, I'm actually quite high on TT, I'm surprised so many of you aren't. I don't like assuming traits like laziness by just watching a kid play basketball, I just think he's not very good at defense but I can't say he's lazy. Guess we'll see

I have no clue lol, I can hope. I'd almost rather have him on the wing than underneath if he's going to play bad defense.

Yeah, it's an important position (like all the rest) but the fact is that we usually get by with mediocre wing defenders. Wes Johnson, John Wallace, a whole lot of kids in between. That's usually the one spot where Boeheim's happy to go with offense over defense; he's given a lot of minutes to guys who don't really know what they're doing at that end.

Of course this assumes we can find a center in the next few months.

I could definitely see TT on the wing, with Sidibe manning the pivot next year. Bring 7'2" off the bench. Prospects of that lineup has a projected low ceiling unfortunately...
This could be a good thing, or a bad thing. It would definitely force him to actually move his feet on defense...which he hasn't done yet. Which is exactly the reason it could be an epic failure!

The worst part is the reason we are even having this conversation. Kid is so gifted offensively! If he wasn't it, would be sooo much easier to just flat out hate him!!!!

Thompson is probably the least of the issues with this team and the one with most potential to be a lot better by his SO season.

No heart, did no one see him on the floor chasing a loose ball when the rest of the offense gave zero effort to rebound and charged down to set up the vaunted zone? He's a freshman big being asked to play out of position in a key spot of a complicated defense made more complex since the rest of it isn't very good.

Thompson is probably the least of the issues with this team and the one with most potential to be a lot better by his SO season.

No heart, did no one see him on the floor chasing a loose ball when the rest of the offense gave zero effort to rebound and charged down to set up the vaunted zone? He's a freshman big being asked to play out of position in a key spot of a complicated defense made more complex since the rest of it isn't very good.

I also saw him chase a man out to out past John Gillon yesterday. And then look at Gillon like he was the one who screwed up.

Defense is a foreign language to Thompson. Actually, let me qualify that. Our Zone Defense...

I also saw him chase a man out to out past John Gillon yesterday. And then look at Gillon like he was the one who screwed up.
Defense is a foreign language to Thompson. Actually, let me qualify that. Our Zone Defense...
There are four starters who hadn't played the 2-3 zone before, at best, June of last year. And none of the 7 players in the rotation, except perhaps Lydon, look like they have anything other than a passing familiarity with the defense - which is really built on trusting that the other players have their area covered. Hell, a senior Roberson slipped trying to catch up with his man and he got screamed at by the HOF coach for being out of position before slipping. I don't think any player wants to allow someone an open shot and M2M habits are hard to break especially if a guy moves from your area to an open area because another player might be out of position or not see it. It's not an easy defense even if the other 3-4 players are a finely tuned machine let alone when they're just as new as the other guy.

In one of the 1st games of the season, Lydon (I believe) literally grabbed TT and pushed him to where he needed to be in the zone. He is no where near where he needs to be, but has made huge strides. I believe he makes a big jump next year.

TT's biggest obstacle to being great may be his effort. We've all seen many instances where he seems to give up on a play.

People forget how bad Fab Melo was in year 1. Not saying TT is going to be the DPOY in the ACC but he will certainly improve

I am not as high on TT as everyone else. Two things that I think people bring to the party from the day they set foot on campus are effort and game sense. I don't see either in TT. I think he will score the ball, and be a force on O, but he had better score a boat load because I don't see his D or board work improving by leaps and bounds due to lack of effort.
I don't think he is a great defensive player and he needs to improve on that. I don't agree that is not possible. I think it's easier to improve on defense and rebounding or being more physical than it is offense. Some kids just can't shoot and they work at it like crazy but it never improves ie Roberson. As he continues to work in the weight room and get stronger he will be more physical inside and more confident which will lead to improved rebounding. I don't think it is from lack of effort on TT's part. He is a freshman and is a really important player for us moving forward.

this is march. the unfamiliarity with the system excuse went out the window in december. and any coach who's watched any tape at all knows they can attack the Zone at will anytime on white's side. the alley oop over lydon to Atrey's man baseline is there all day. TT will get better. well , he better get better on D.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom