Those that went to Atlanta | Syracusefan.com

Those that went to Atlanta

HoustonCuse

2020-21 Iggy Winner Lead Scorer & Post Season Rcd
Questions as I debate spending the college fund here:

1. In the football stadium arrangement I have heard there is no good seat. Is this true?
2. What is the purpose of going to the game (serious question)? Is it to see the game or just to be there?
3. Were you in a section devoted to Syracuse or in general population? Any thoughts on that aspect?

Reason for these questions:
As I look at ticket prices, I can easily get seats that appear to be good, generally mid court in an upper level for approx $1600 a piece plus fees(for just Saturday). Or I could get tickets that look absolutely hideous, top level behind a basket or corner for the price of between $180 - $400 a piece plus fees (again only for Saturday). I am trying to figure out if all seats are basically trash and the point is to just be physically present - then there is no sense paying anything more than the minimum.

The question about fan sections is that it looks like I might be able to get tickets in or near the areas people have said are Syracuse sections for probably in the $400 - $700 range each (plus fees, Sat only, etc).

So I am trying to make some decisions and the people who would know the answers were at the 2013 FF in Atlanta. So what do you think?

I would either get the good tickets or the cheapest tickets. Being in a section with Syracuse fans is a lot of fun but I wouldn't pay a ton for bad seats just to be in a Syracuse section.

I don't know if my experience is relevant. I was in either the next to last or last row of the stadium, I don't remember exactly where in relation to the court but possibly near but not behind a basket. The seat was fine. Not obstructed. Of course the action was far away but I had a decent sense of what was happening. I actually preferred it so much to the Dome that it's hard for me to attend a game there anymore. Although I was quite overweight at the time, and walked up the entire way, most was via a ramp, and then the steps leading to my seat were like what I'm used to at a baseball game, where the steps are a normal height and there is a railing to hang onto. I was a little out of breath when I got to the top but not much. Whereas with my nosebleed seats at the dome, because I only go once a year and can't afford prime seats, the steps are double height, there are at least 20 of them and there's no railing at all to help keep your balance. So it's quite a challenge to climb and the last time I did it was so grueling I haven't been back. And that may have been the same year as Atlanta so it's not like I was more out of shape then. The Dome is just not geared for the elderly, out of shape (and mind you I climbed subway stairs regularly and attended the gym then too, so not as out of shape as I am now) or disabled. It frankly stinks. They could at least put in hand railings.

Sorry to go off topic. The point is the Atlanta stadium and the Houston one may be very different. Or not. Can't say.

Oh and unlike the Dome the Atlanta stadium had proper seats, not the concrete bench with no back to sit on. Again the Dome stinks.

Last edited:
I don't know if my experience is relevant. I was in either the next to last or last row of the stadium, I don't remember exactly where in relation to the court but possibly near but not behind a basket. The seat was fine. Not obstructed. Of course the action was far away but I had a decent sense of what was happening. I actually preferred it so much to the Dome that it's hard for me to attend a game there anymore. Although I was quite overweight at the time, and walked up the entire way, most was via a ramp, and then the steps leading to my seat were like what I'm used to at a baseball game, where the steps are a normal height and there is a railing to hang onto. I was a little out of breath when I got to the top but not much. Whereas with my nosebleed seats at the dome, because I only go once a year and can't afford prime seats, the steps are double height, there are at least 20 of them and there's no railing at all to help keep your balance. So it's quite a challenge to climb and the last time I did it was so grueling I haven't been back. And that may have been the same year as Atlanta so it's not like I was more out of shape then. The Dome is just not geared for the elderly, out of shape (and mind you I climbed subway stairs regularly and attended the gym then too, so not as out of shape as I am now) or disabled. It frankly stinks. They could at least put in hand railings.

Sorry to go off topic. The point is the Atlanta stadium and the Houston one may be very different. Or not. Can't say.

Oh and unlike the Dome the Atlanta stadium had proper seats, not the concrete bench with no back to sit on. Again the Dome stinks.

I just quickly wanted to add that I greatly prefer to have rails near me, even if I dont necessarily need them(especially if the stairs are steep). I'm not sure why the few places that leave out the center of stair railing do, but those responsible would not get a tear from me if someone hauled off and kicked them in the jimmy(after first telling them why, though).

I just quickly wanted to add that I greatly prefer to have rails near me, even if I dont necessarily need them(especially if the stairs are steep). I'm not sure why the few places that leave out the center of stair railing do, but those responsible would not get a tear from me if someone hauled off and kicked them in the jimmy(after first telling them why, though).
I remember some streets in the vicinity of the campus were so steep they had railings embedded in them to help you when it was snowy or icy. They came in handy, especially when I had to go a mile out of my way in the early mornings to get to the dining hall by 7 to start my shift. That was because my apartment was right on the edge of Thornden Park and it was just too unsafe to walk through the park when it was dark or near dark, which would have taken ten minutes, so I ended up walking at least a half hour.

I was in Atlanta. DO NOT SPEND $1000 for those seats!! We sat up high and I think I paid about $400. We were able to to stay with my mother-in-law so because we had free lodging we had trouble buying good seats from SU. We were so up high that the court was exactly the size of the jumbo screen and we could barely see. I was bitterly disappointed. I know we lost the game, but to this day I don't know why!

I went to Atlanta and had a blast. It was much more about the experience than seeing the game. I was seated in a far off corner but only paid a couple hundred dollars for tix through SU.

I attended the game alone but took the family for a mini- vacation. The kids loved the aquarium and they made the local Syracuse news @ the open practice session (we had moved away from CNY a few years previously but it was fun to hear from a lot of friends and family who saw it on local tv).

The pregame experience was unreal and well worth the price of admission. The framed FF tickets are still a great reminder as well. The post game crush of people on MARTA won't easily be forgotten either. Talk about overloaded trains...

I even still have the deadhead old school S logo decal that some random, but, really fun and friendly guy, originally from CNY but had relocated to FL, gave everyone in earshot. It's a cool decal that still adorns the rear passenger window of my car.

If you have the means go. IMO It's a great memory and bucket list life experience.

If you are debating spending the college fund...I ask why?

You live in H-Town...just get the cheapest tix you can find and bring binoculars...save your money. If Cuse advances and Nova does too...tickets will be going for a song on Monday night.

Wait...in that case for the prices to drop to buy on Monday.

Hak Attacks tix look good...

If this is a stretch financially I really think skipping Saturday is the play. If we lose, you will prolly be glad to not be around a bunch of screaming Tar Heel fans and be able to cry yourself to sleep in the comfort of you own (hotel?) bed. If (when) we win, tickets for Monday will be dirt cheap (almost surely under $200 for decent seats), and that is the game you wanna be there for anyway. This play really feels like a no brainer for anyone really stretching financially to make this happen. I think you will be pretty pissed you spent $2-3k (or whatever) on tix at about midnight on Fri if we lose.

1. In the football stadium arrangement I have heard there is no good seat. Is this true?
2. What is the purpose of going to the game (serious question)? Is it to see the game or just to be there?
3. Were you in a section devoted to Syracuse or in general population? Any thoughts on that aspect?

As I look at ticket prices, I can easily get seats that appear to be good, generally mid court in an upper level for approx $1600 a piece plus fees(for just Saturday). Or I could get tickets that look absolutely hideous, top level behind a basket or corner for the price of between $180 - $400 a piece plus fees (again only for Saturday). I am trying to figure out if all seats are basically trash and the point is to just be physically present - then there is no sense paying anything more than the minimum.

The question about fan sections is that it looks like I might be able to get tickets in or near the areas people have said are Syracuse sections for probably in the $400 - $700 range each (plus fees, Sat only, etc).

So I am trying to make some decisions and the people who would know the answers were at the 2013 FF in Atlanta. So what do you think?
Just being there (the city and game) was my rationale. Spending the time with cuse fans outside of the game is tremendous. You'll run into people you didn't plan on seein and haven't seen in years.

I had atrocious seats in Atlanta but didn't care. Paid close to face (near game time when prices drop). Section was mixed. Didn't matter. Same for New Orleans.

are you only looking for 1 ticket?

edit: nevermind. congrats on getting tix. hope to see you there

If this is a stretch financially I really think skipping Saturday is the play. If we lose, you will prolly be glad to not be around a bunch of screaming Tar Heel fans and be able to cry yourself to sleep in the comfort of you own (hotel?) bed. If (when) we win, tickets for Monday will be dirt cheap (almost surely under $200 for decent seats), and that is the game you wanna be there for anyway. This play really feels like a no brainer for anyone really stretching financially to make this happen. I think you will be pretty pissed you spent $2-3k (or whatever) on tix at about midnight on Fri if we lose.

tix were not dirt cheap in atlanta for the champ game

I answered your questions below each number...

Lower levels near center court are fine as you can imagine, no way I would sit in the upper levels

Its an awesome atmosphere, the energy is crazy, def need to experience it!

We were in the Syracuse section, it was great the idiot Doug Gottlieb walked by and git taunted, also saw the Papa Johns owner, Dion Waiters, Dikembe Mutombo and can't remember who else

I just got tickets through SU!! Section 103 and for $340 a piece all-in. All sessions. WOOOOO HOOOO!!!!

are you sure you got section 103? if thats the case, there is NO DEMAND for SU. I saw our section is 138 through 140 which then turns into 101-105. if general public is only in 103 now... YIKES.

tix were not dirt cheap in atlanta for the champ game
What were tix going for.

I'm considering Monday night only if it works out. Trying to get a sense for what tickets may be.

What were tix going for.

I'm considering Monday night only if it works out. Trying to get a sense for what tickets may be.

My dad sold his lower level behind the basket champ tickets for $400 each IIRC and that was giving the fans a discount because they claimed that was top end of budget. But I know he paid for our dinner that night because of his profit.

I sold my champ ticket for $200 or $250 to a scalper before i even left the dome because i was too depressed.

Moontan advised me not to bring the champ ticket to the semi final. but I didnt listen. and I firmly believe it was a bad omen and i paid the price for it.

are you sure you got section 103? if thats the case, there is NO DEMAND for SU. I saw our section is 138 through 140 which then turns into 101-105. if general public is only in 103 now... YIKES.

Yeah when you select your tickets you are given 2 options: sec 102 or 103

We played the second game Saturday in Atlanta. My seats where in the third level behind the basket, which sucked. After Wichita State lost, we moved down to the second section between then the baseline and foul line for an excellent view of our game.

Yes 103 row CC.

What were tix going for.

$340 all in for all sessions. About 1/4 to 1/6 the price I could find on prime-whatever.

My dad sold his lower level behind the basket champ tickets for $400 each IIRC and that was giving the fans a discount because they claimed that was top end of budget. But I know he paid for our dinner that night because of his profit.

I sold my champ ticket for $200 or $250 to a scalper before i even left the dome because i was too depressed.

Moontan advised me not to bring the champ ticket to the semi final. but I didnt listen. and I firmly believe it was a bad omen and i paid the price for it.
I paid just a little over face value but was about two rows from the ga dome roof. That's a trade off I'm good with!

I forgot to mention, I won the work pool that year. The winnings covered the entire Atlanta trip with maybe a little left over to pay for the lost day or two at work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom