Thoughts | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Thoughts

phil77 said:
Has JB ever named a sophomore starter and then put him on the bench next year for an underclassman? I don't really recall that happening off the top of my head? Leads me to believe that Cooney will be starting here two more years. I think Cooney will benefit from a faster pace offense and get more open looks in transition. Also he would benefit greatly from not being the only shooter on the team. As much as I like CJ I am happy to see us move on from the ISO CJ offense. It was awful to watch. CJ wasn't good enough to lead like that.
My memory might be fuzzy but I seem to remember Allen griffin going from starter to bench to starter

Has JB ever named a sophomore starter and then put him on the bench next year for an underclassman? I don't really recall that happening off the top of my head? Leads me to believe that Cooney will be starting here two more years. I think Cooney will benefit from a faster pace offense and get more open looks in transition. Also he would benefit greatly from not being the only shooter on the team.

As much as I like CJ I am happy to see us move on from the ISO CJ offense. It was awful to watch. CJ wasn't good enough to lead like that.

Allen Griffin during the 1999 season [Tony Bland].

I'm boycotting the main board because I know I'll probably get banned for responding to some of the nonsense I've seen recently. So I decided to share some thoughts here where some of my favorite posters come along to drop some reasonable knowledge. You guys might disagree with some thoughts but it's always fun and interesting to share different views.

1)I was spoiled into thinking we could always have kids like MCW sitting on our bench because we would always be loaded with talent at the guard position. Fact is that the lack of combo guard depth has killed us for the last two years. Which imho is inexcusable for a program like SU. Missing out on Sheed Jordan aka Black Jesus and turning down Monte Morris hurt us. 5th years such my guy DeAndre Kane and even Antonio Barton would've been worthwhile gambles as well. All four players would've blended well with Tyler but hey that's life. I'm sure the staff expected Silent G to be better overall.

2)I root for the jersey and I'm no homer or hater to any player but imho moving forward I would prefer to see Cooney coming off the bench. Obviously that will depend on the development of our returning players like Buss, Silent G, and BJ. I feel Cooney's best role is to be the sharp shooter off the bench and provide a spark if he's on the money, because as a starter he just doesn't provide much if his threes aren't falling. I know he has a lot of defenders who think he can do no wrong but I have to keep it real on here. He has two more years left, so hopefully he can turn it around.

3)When it comes to recruiting I think the staff is already acknowledging the flaws of having the lack of combo guards and shooters. Which is why I'm glad we have locked down shooters like Richardson and Lydon. Plus if we can land a guard in 2015 such as Howard or Briscoe, then you're talking about adding another combo with size that can make an impact on both ends. Plus in 2016 we're in good shape with Battle, who could possibly reclassify to 2015.

4)If Ennis is gone then I think it's important to land a 5th year transfer or JUCO guard to help out Joseph. I think Joseph could be better than most expect and the transition/face pace style should return, but I think it would be unfair to rely on another freshman to carry the heavy load once again. For as good as Tyler was, the season still ended in a second round exit so guard depth is still important.

5)As mentioned in another thread. Give me Bryant over Diagne if we had to choose one. One thing that this team lacked was an alpha-dog. Give me one player who is an animal that will rub off that vibe on his teammates. BMK strikes me as having that personality but unfortunately he just never had the talent/skills to be anymore than a hustle player.

6)It would be criminal if Grant leaves because he has so much to work on but if that happens then I think the wing trio of Roberson, CMac, and BJ is good enough to make due next season. I really expect to see a big sophomore leap from Roberson. BJ should work his behind off and become better and McCullough will have flashes here n there of what he can be when he puts it all together but I don't think we'll see all of that in year one.

7)I think Tyler should come back because I don't see how he's ready physically for the Association, but I think from his point of view a top 15 pick at this point might be too hard to pass up. So until he says he's returning I'll just say he's gone. It'll suck to see him go but we have seen much better players leave and we've been alright after.

8)Weird season this was. Went from one of my favorite teams to watch since the 09/10 squad to my most dislike since the Donte Greene squad back in 07/08.

9)I'll say this that JB has always done his best work when expectations are low. So even if Ennis and Grant are gone then I wouldn't on the team right away until we see how the roster shapes up for the fall. Depending on who returns, player development, and any additional players that we add, who knows how next season will play out. After losing Jonny/Devo/Paul, I never thought that we would have a team that could possibly win a chip before Arinze got hurt the following season.

10)With the teams left in the sweet 16, who are you guys cool with winning a chip? As long as it's not UK and Yukon I'm good with whoever wins it.:)

Just an awesome post, Francis.

I don't agree with 100% of your takes, but what a cool read.

I know many people think that these kids are young and can run all day, but I truly believe that one of the biggest issues down the stretch was that our guys got tired. When you have tired legs, your jump shot is the first thing to go. I think that was the number one problem with Cooney. When he is on the floor he is always running all over, coming off screens and trying to get open; that has to be tiring. As we all saw we were unable to consistently hit any outside jumpers done the stretch. I love JB and know he is a HOF coach but he really does need to go 8-10 deep to give these guys rest throughout the year. He needs to live with a few defensive mistakes in the zone and not be so quick to pull them out. Let them play a little through their mistakes. Plus, I think we need to run a little more next year as well. To see Dayton have more points off turnovers then we did was BS. We used to be great at this.

I have no ide,a but I think both Ennis and Grant will be back. I believe the way we fizzled down the stretch will put a dirty taste in their mouth and they will want to come back for a deep run next year. Maybe this is just wishful thinking, but either way we will compete. I also think Rak will come back next year and be more aggressive. He showed flashes of this towards the end of the season before he seem to get hit with fouls left and right. If we can keep him on the floor I think Rak will be our biggest surprise next year.

Is there any chance at all to still land Briscoe in 15? I for one really want to see both Bryant and Diagne come to SU. Then get Murray and Battle for 16.

As for this year, I would be okay if Virginia went all the way. As long as it isn't Kentucky, UCONN or any other SEC school. It sure would be nice for the ACC to win the football and basketball championships.
http://syracusefan.com/threads/isaiah-briscoe.26490/page-18#post-1003396
I posted that recently about Briscoe. Strange recruitment.

Looking to next year, if Grant leaves, am I the only one who thinks it's feasible Silent G starts at SF?

I guess it depends on what happens with Ennis, of course. If he's gone we need G to help at PG, but especially down the stretch with Grant out, it was G who JB kept going to for SF depth.

Do you also have the Ohio St. game on DVD? :) Dion chose that game to have his worst game of the season unfortunately. Dion has swagger. No doubt about that. I always felt he never played completely within the team concept though. It seemed like he played just enough team ball so that JB wouldn't bench him. That said, no doubt he had no fear of taking the big shot and no problem getting it off when needed and yes, it is nice to have a player like that coming off the bench.
That one didn't make the collection unfortunately lol. Dion was off for sure but to be fair so was most of the team. The zebras didn't help matters as I thought that was one of the worse officiated tourney games that I have seen on both ends. I think both teams were in the bonus before the 10 minute mark in both halves and when James Southerland of all people is in foul trouble then you know something wasn't right.
120324-osu-cuse-ss5_ss_full.jpg

Still to this day I felt that awful charge call on Triche in what would've been a 3pt play and have the building which was 90% filled with Cuse fans rocking changed the whole aspect of the game. After that call I thought the team emotionally got flat and they basically were playing catch up throughout the rest of the game.

Everyone seems to be worried about guard play next year, which is completely a legit concern.

But what about the center position? If there has been one consistency in Rak's game over the past 3 years, it is his uncanny penchant for picking up stupid fouls. And who knows if Dejuan will be able to play next year, and even if he does, if he will be able to stay healthy.

And then there is Chino, who has not played 1 minute in an orange uniform.

This actually worries me more than the guard situation.

Just an awesome post, Francis.

I don't agree with 100% of your takes, but what a cool read.
Thanks. RF, the agree to disagree and different point of views is what I enjoy to read when folks engage in an adult manner. Just because you might disagree with a take doesn't make you an idiot, just as if I don't agree with one of yours doesn't make me any more smarter than you.

Everyone seems to be worried about guard play next year, which is completely a legit concern.

But what about the center position? If there has been one consistency in Rak's game over the past 3 years, it is his uncanny penchant for picking up stupid fouls. And who knows if Dejuan will be able to play next year, and even if he does, if he will be able to stay healthy.

I think Rak is going to be very good based on two things:

1) he no longer has to share duties (depending on DC2), and no longer gets the hook because JB wants to go to BMK
2) his offense has improved to the point where I think even JB knows he could be a weapon, hence so many more looks and plays run to him as the season progressed

The key is getting him involved in the offense early. He always seems to be much more effective on both ends of the floor when he gets a couple touches early.

I think Rak is going to be very good based on two things:

1) he no longer has to share duties (depending on DC2), and no longer gets the hook because JB wants to go to BMK
2) his offense has improved to the point where I think even JB knows he could be a weapon, hence so many more looks and plays run to him as the season progressed

The key is getting him involved in the offense early. He always seems to be much more effective on both ends of the floor when he gets a couple touches early.

Hopefully you're right. We keep saying and hoping for these things as they appear to be obvious, yet, they never seem to happen.

The secret is, that's true of almost every big man.

Those concerns are legit. One positive I would say is that maybe now since BMK won't be around that Rak will become more comfortable and can just relax now without worrying about doing something silly and getting the quick hook. I think he should be game for about 30 minutes a night. If DC2 can't go, then I gotta believe that Chino can hold things down if you need him for about 10 minutes max. Not sure if we would want him playing more than that but from what I saw from him in HS, he should be a good defender and finisher around the basket. I wouldn't say he has great hands, but it's Jerry Rice compared to BMK's lol.

I'm boycotting the main board because I know I'll probably get banned for responding to some of the nonsense I've seen recently. So I decided to share some thoughts here where some of my favorite posters come along to drop some reasonable knowledge. You guys might disagree with some thoughts but it's always fun and interesting to share different views.

1)I was spoiled into thinking we could always have kids like MCW sitting on our bench because we would always be loaded with talent at the guard position. Fact is that the lack of combo guard depth has killed us for the last two years. Which imho is inexcusable for a program like SU. Missing out on Sheed Jordan aka Black Jesus and turning down Monte Morris hurt us. 5th years such my guy DeAndre Kane and even Antonio Barton would've been worthwhile gambles as well. All four players would've blended well with Tyler but hey that's life. I'm sure the staff expected Silent G to be better overall.

2)I root for the jersey and I'm no homer or hater to any player but imho moving forward I would prefer to see Cooney coming off the bench. Obviously that will depend on the development of our returning players like Buss, Silent G, and BJ. I feel Cooney's best role is to be the sharp shooter off the bench and provide a spark if he's on the money, because as a starter he just doesn't provide much if his threes aren't falling. I know he has a lot of defenders who think he can do no wrong but I have to keep it real on here. He has two more years left, so hopefully he can turn it around.

3)When it comes to recruiting I think the staff is already acknowledging the flaws of having the lack of combo guards and shooters. Which is why I'm glad we have locked down shooters like Richardson and Lydon. Plus if we can land a guard in 2015 such as Howard or Briscoe, then you're talking about adding another combo with size that can make an impact on both ends. Plus in 2016 we're in good shape with Battle, who could possibly reclassify to 2015.

4)If Ennis is gone then I think it's important to land a 5th year transfer or JUCO guard to help out Joseph. I think Joseph could be better than most expect and the transition/face pace style should return, but I think it would be unfair to rely on another freshman to carry the heavy load once again. For as good as Tyler was, the season still ended in a second round exit so guard depth is still important.

5)As mentioned in another thread. Give me Bryant over Diagne if we had to choose one. One thing that this team lacked was an alpha-dog. Give me one player who is an animal that will rub off that vibe on his teammates. BMK strikes me as having that personality but unfortunately he just never had the talent/skills to be anymore than a hustle player.

6)It would be criminal if Grant leaves because he has so much to work on but if that happens then I think the wing trio of Roberson, CMac, and BJ is good enough to make due next season. I really expect to see a big sophomore leap from Roberson. BJ should work his behind off and become better and McCullough will have flashes here n there of what he can be when he puts it all together but I don't think we'll see all of that in year one.

7)I think Tyler should come back because I don't see how he's ready physically for the Association, but I think from his point of view a top 15 pick at this point might be too hard to pass up. So until he says he's returning I'll just say he's gone. It'll suck to see him go but we have seen much better players leave and we've been alright after.

8)Weird season this was. Went from one of my favorite teams to watch since the 09/10 squad to my most dislike since the Donte Greene squad back in 07/08.

9)I'll say this that JB has always done his best work when expectations are low. So even if Ennis and Grant are gone then I wouldn't on the team right away until we see how the roster shapes up for the fall. Depending on who returns, player development, and any additional players that we add, who knows how next season will play out. After losing Jonny/Devo/Paul, I never thought that we would have a team that could possibly win a chip before Arinze got hurt the following season.

10)With the teams left in the sweet 16, who are you guys cool with winning a chip? As long as it's not UK and Yukon I'm good with whoever wins it.:)
Killed it. I completely agree with all 10 points.

Looking to next year, if Grant leaves, am I the only one who thinks it's feasible Silent G starts at SF?

I guess it depends on what happens with Ennis, of course. If he's gone we need G to help at PG, but especially down the stretch with Grant out, it was G who JB kept going to for SF depth.

I was thinking the same thing. I think we see G start at the 3 regardless if Grant stays or leaves. Just knowing how JB trusts his veterans, I think he gets the first shot there.

Honestly no offense to CJ, as he was great for us the past four years, but I think Mike's ceiling is higher. He can put the ball on the floor and shoot a little bit. He's 6'7'', theres no reason why he shouldnt be able to hold his own in the back line for extended periods, and not for nothing, but I thought CJ's defense fell off a bit this year compared to his previous years as he focused being the go to guy on offense.

I was thinking the same thing. I think we see G start at the 3 regardless if Grant stays or leaves. Just knowing how JB trusts his veterans, I think he gets the first shot there.

Honestly no offense to CJ, as he was great for us the past four years, but I think Mike's ceiling is higher. He can put the ball on the floor and shoot a little bit. He's 6'7'', theres no reason why he shouldnt be able to hold his own in the back line for extended periods, and not for nothing, but I thought CJ's defense fell off a bit this year compared to his previous years as he focused being the go to guy on offense.
If Grant and Ennis leave, I have no clue how our lineup would look. Having Cooney and G out there at the 2/3 would be a welcome sight to my eyes in that we'd have what pretty much every single team in CBB has now: Point Guard, Shooter, Shooter, Power Foward, Center.

Kaleb/Cooney/G/CMac/Rak

Given how Kaleb is a guy who can break down the defense with his quickness and handle, having two shooters to kick out to will be huge.

Patterson/BJJ/Roberson/DC2 off the bench

If Grant and Ennis leave, I have no clue how our lineup would look. Having Cooney and G out there at the 2/3 would be a welcome sight to my eyes in that we'd have what pretty much every single team in CBB has now: Point Guard, Shooter, Shooter, Power Foward, Center.

Kaleb/Cooney/G/CMac/Rak

Given how Kaleb is a guy who can break down the defense with his quickness and handle, having two shooters to kick out to will be huge.

Patterson/BJJ/Roberson/DC2 off the bench

I agree with everything you said, I just don't think CMac starts. I think hes a tad overrated, and joseph is underated. Even Francis said so above. If Grant leaves i think Roberson or DCII (depending on health) gets the first shot at the four.

Nothing against what you said, but as Syracuse fans we tend to hype up certain freshman every offseason and all it ever does is set us up for dissappointment. I even read somewhere that his current high school coach said we needed to be patient with him in his first year. I'd be shocked if CMac is a one and done type player. I made the same mistake myself thinking Fab and Dion were just going to come in here and dominate right away. It didn't happen.

I agree with everything you said, I just don't think CMac starts. I think hes a tad overrated, and joseph is underated. Even Francis said so above. If Grant leaves i think Roberson or DCII (depending on health) gets the first shot at the four.

Nothing against what you said, but as Syracuse fans we tend to hype up certain freshman every offseason and all it ever does is set us up for dissappointment. I even read somewhere that his current high school coach said we needed to be patient with him in his first year. I'd be shocked if CMac is a one and done type player. I made the same mistake myself thinking Fab and Dion were just going to come in here and dominate right away. It didn't happen.
Hey, works for me. I'm fine with Roberson starting at PF as well. I don't really want to see Rak at PF with DC2 at Center, that some twin towers type ish and that doesnt seem to fly in CBB, unless one of them can shoot it from outside which we know isnt happening.

It's frustrating because, except for the passing element, I think he has the ability to be more potent than Rautins. He has the ability to put it on the floor but he chooses not to most of the time. It's probably the bad screening and play design most of the time I bet when he can't get free for a look. This HAS to change. Syracuse is an elite program and there is something wrong when your shooter can't get free. I see Heslip on Baylor wide open most of the time. Does he start by the way? Can't remember.

To me it's not frustrating because the comparison is Sr Rautins to Soph Cooney. He will improve. The tools are there. Nichols, Rautins, Southerland all were behind where Cooney is right now at this stage of their career. Plus he has great athleticism and good size. I have a lot of confidence that Cooney will be a special player for us. Even if he repeats this year twice, he will end his career #2 all time at SU in made 3s for goodness sake.

Francis I would be interested in getting your thoughts on next years rotation if Ennis and Grant do come back?

To me it's not frustrating because the comparison is Sr Rautins to Soph Cooney. He will improve. The tools are there. Nichols, Rautins, Southerland all were behind where Cooney is right now at this stage of their career. Plus he has great athleticism and good size. I have a lot of confidence that Cooney will be a special player for us. Even if he repeats this year twice, he will end his career #2 all time at SU in made 3s for goodness sake.

Probably all true and I do like his athleticism. However, Cooney was a MUCH higher rated prospect coming in and is much stronger than Andy at the same stages. Cooney has to start to put it all together next season.

Rak has to learn that a head fake is just a head fake. And sometimes giving up one bucket isn't as important as not picking up a stupid foul that puts him on the bench. I think he can have a great year, but he has to learn to stay focused the entire game (and I agree that getting him some touches early and often will help that) and play really good positional defense and not just try to block everything. And go up strong with the ball. Get the other big man in trouble, and stop with the silly fade away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom