Time for Scott to go | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Time for Scott to go

He's not a CFB head coach, at least for us.

He's a step back big time from the last guy.

Greg Robinson was a nice guy too.

Agree. As Sean McDonough mentioned in the first half, SU is 2-12 (as of this time, now 2-13) against power 5 schools under SS, with both W's coming against Wake Forest. And, now 0-10 against ranked opponents. That is just flat out depressing.

About what I expected. Big talent differential vs a school like FSU. The difference in overall team speed was obvious and a killer. Losing winnable games vs UVA and Pitt bother me much more. The best players on the team are true freshmen, RS freshmen and sophomores. HCSS is improving the recruiting. I'd give him 1 more year. Pulling the plug now negates some nice players he has coming in and sets recruiting back again as the program basically starts from scratch.

I know one thing: making any choice about coaches based on a loss at team your not supposed to beat (who lost one conference game in three years) - is probably not an unemotional decision.

You may be right. Don't know. But now is probably the wrong time.

Not supposed to win sure, but how about be competitive? This game was over after the 1st quarter. Why was Wake, Miami, BC all competitive the for the whole game vs FSU, and we can't be? Not to mention they played them with Golson, and Cook.

I am not in the fire Scott Shafer camp. After today, however, I think that if we lose our next game convincingly and then get embarrased at home against Clemson the fat lady will be singing over Scott's grave.
Of course we are going to lose a lopsided game to Clemson. Why is that a key determinant? A better measuring stick would be NC State and BC.

About what I expected. Big talent differential vs a school like FSU. The difference in overall team speed was obvious and a killer. Losing winnable games vs UVA and Pitt bother me much more. The best players on the team are true freshmen, RS freshmen and sophomores. HCSS is improving the recruiting. I'd give him 1 more year. Pulling the plug now negates some nice players he has coming in and sets recruiting back again as the program basically starts from scratch.

what nice players? Nobody a new HC couldn't come in and get, and probably even improve.

what nice players? Nobody a new HC couldn't come in and get, and probably even improve.
Amen. Nice compared to our BE days for sure but we are basement dwellers in the ACC in the talent department. Just because we sign them early doesn't mean they're world beaters. Sometimes that just means nobody else wanted them.

Of course we are going to lose a lopsided game to Clemson. Why is that a key determinant? A better measuring stick would be NC State and BC.
We aren't beating nc state. Our best shot is Ville next week and hope bc has a bad defensive game against us. Best we can hope for is 5 wins. I think 4 is more likely if they even win again.

Not supposed to win sure, but how about be competitive? This game was over after the 1st quarter. Why was Wake, Miami, BC all competitive the for the whole game vs FSU, and we can't be? Not to mention they played them with Golson, and Cook.

Competitive up until a minute before the first half...

Don't be so sure, the pressure is mounting for a change and Coyle has the green light to make a move if he feels it's necessary from what I have been told.

Exactly. I've been trying to be quiet about all this but I keep reading posts that Shafer coaching next year is a sure thing. It is not. Doesn't mean he is definitely gone but there is absolutely evaluation happening on all parts of the program.

Lopsided is not necessarily embarrassing. If the team plays hard and the coaches coach intelligently and we still get shut out and lose 35-0 that's one thing. A 68-6 pasting where we look lost and thoroughly overmatched is another matter altogether.

Competitive up until a minute before the first half...

What! The SU game vs FSU from today? We were competitive for a couple drives but they began to dominate us in the 2nd quarter. Even the commentators said FSU was controlling most of the game and we had put ourselves in position to be down by just 1 TD. Then we decided to leave time for FSU to score.

But if it's next year I don't think they replace him now and start the new coach on the road for 12 games. They'd probably give Shafer a lame duck season and then make a move. Next guy gets a "new" stadium to help recruit.
Saw that once before. Maloney coached a road season and Mac opened the Dome. Seems like there might be a certain symmetry to that.

Every coach has a moment during a game when you can say What, the talent level is better than it has been in years, we can compete with any team in the country, pretty soon we will be winning the close ones and pull upsets over the power teams. Have Faith

Saw that once before. Maloney coached a road season and Mac opened the Dome. Seems like there might be a certain symmetry to that.
Actually, Maloney opened the Dome - he got one full year in the Dome. I always thought it was payback for the year on the road and the Independence Bowl win that year.

Actually, Maloney opened the Dome - he got one full year in the Dome. I always thought it was payback for the year on the road and the Independence Bowl win that year.
Ooops. You're right. Could be we have Shafer 2 more years then, if history is to be repeated.

But if it's next year I don't think they replace him now and start the new coach on the road for 12 games. They'd probably give Shafer a lame duck season and then make a move. Next guy gets a "new" stadium to help recruit.

I think they should do the opposite. Let a new coach take his lumps on the road for 12 games and let the new coach SELL THE NEW DOME renderings. IF he has a tough transition season (like most do) he can use the excuse that the team was on the road for 12 games. Built in excuse if needed.

There's no way he's getting fired before the end of the season.
He's got three more games to show that he can learn from past mistakes and really eliminate concerns. I'm not too optimistic he can.

And names like these that were mentioned in another thread Matt Rhule, Matt Campbell, PJ Fleck, Dino Barbers are not. How do you know any of these guys would win at Syracuse.

I've said if your gonna get a new Head Coach. It can only be on guy. Doug Marrone.

And names like these that were mentioned in another thread Matt Rhule, Matt Campbell, PJ Fleck, Dino Barbers are not. How do you know any of these guys would win at Syracuse.

I've said if your gonna get a new Head Coach. It can only be on guy. Doug Marrone.

Well those guys listed above have all done 1 thing that Shafer hasn't as HC...Proven they can win, and build a program. So there you actually got 2 reasons. Anybody we bring in there isn't a guarantee they're going to win. Doesn't mean you don't take the chance. Especially when the guy here is moving the program in reverse.

Eric Dungey as player-coach would be better than what we currently have.

But seriously, he's made awful coaching decisions in what seems like 5 games in a row. He's not recruiting at a high level and has an old school outdated football mentality.

I'm at the point where I think no coach at all would be an upgrade. CFB Lord of the Flies.

We can't fire Frank Maloney. If we are going to get a new coach it can only be one guy. Coach Ben

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom