Time for the “You up?” Text to Mike Hopkins | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Time for the “You up?” Text to Mike Hopkins

I like Hop. That said I think it's time for the school to move on from the JB tree. New eyes, energy, and system.
So let’s set the criteria for a new head coach:

1) P5 Head coaching experience (Success)
2) Proven recruiter
3) Northeast ties
4) Potential long term commitment to the area
5) Can teach m2m
6) No previous history @SU.

Good luck finding anyone other than Hop who checks 5 of 6 boxes.

2) Proven recruiter
3) Northeast ties
5) Can teach m2m

Who set that as the criteria? Is Big East P5? Holtmann and Mack seem to be adjusting okay to the rigors of the Big 10 and ACC. I want a guy who can recruit and attract players via style of play or culture, who isn't tied to JB's massive shadow. Long term commitment isn't my worry, it's the AD's, and if we are such an elite program as most here claim why is that a concern, we are a destination job.

2) Proven recruiter
3) Northeast ties
5) Can teach m2m

You're right, Hop is probably the only one. Maybe Oats in a couple of years.

I love the angst over Hop on this board. When he took over for JB for that short stretch, the majority of the posters on this board wanted nothing to do with him as the next HC. Hilarious

That's not completely true. I think there was a substantial number of people who said he should go away and get head coaching experience, and that we should conduct a national search, to include Mike, of course, if he didn't bomb out at his first head coaching gig.

I think there are a substantial number of people who feel the same way about the current assistants - that any of them should go get head coaching experience before we turn over the program to them. Same as Mike - except that none of them are remotely close to Mike as a recruiter.

But now that Mike's had his taste of success, and is in the middle of building his own thing for a fan base who really likes him, it's a hard sell to get him to come back. I think only Jim calling him would get it done, and I don't see Boeheim EVER thinking that he still isn't the best coach out there. It's who he is.

Last edited:
Imho, this undermines the closer to home argument or makes it way less persuasive. He gets paid multi-millions per year. Let him use the jet. Seattle to la isnt a short jaunt.

edit: just checked it out, seattle is 1200 from los angeles. Thats not that close to home.

It's a New York-to-Orlando flight. But with 2 busy airports so that your fares are not outrageous (not that Mike has to worry about that ...).

The Pac 12 stinks

Gonzaga always wins its league but Mark Few never left. Why would he? Would you rather coach for 15-20 more years in the same place making tons of money, or 3 or 4 more years and then potentially be looking for a new job again, having to move your family somewhere else.

I don't even care if Hop ever comes back. I just want to have a coaching search and see all the big names interested in this job so I can tell all the moaners on here wondering why anyone would want to come to coach Syracuse basketball to shove it up their you know what.
I think you will be disappointed in the names that come up in a national search. None of them will be household names. It will be some mid-major coach or Autry.

If Mike came, would he keep JBs assistants? Do we believe ALL the player development issues are solely on JB? Would be curious if Hop would have the guts up clean house.

also, the P12 is a joke and Hop is already a god there. If he can win 18+games a year, mixed in with a P12 title and S16 run every 3 or 4 years he’ll write his ticket there
He wanted to take GMAC with him to Washington, but Wildhack quickly locked up JB and his assistants stayed.

Hop is getting that first call, if he says no...Oats will get the second call if he has any type of success in the south...then goes national + Red interview. No Gerry

I lived in New York 4x as long as I’ve been in Cali. I’m not going back to New York. Certainly not Syracuse.

I don’t expect mike to go back. I only half wish he would.
Thanks for sharing. To be fair, either would i (I think). But, i also think that what 007 or Zelda Zonk or John Doe would do is completely irrelevant to what Hop may or may not decide to do.

First half was fun. I keep going back and forth on who is better McDaniels or Stewart.

Guess that is a pretty good problem to have.

I'd take Stewart but McDaniels can make plays

I'd take Stewart but McDaniels can make plays

I'd take Stewart as well, but the way McDaniels can create space is something I haven't seen in awhile in college ball.

It's funny to watch a team where all 5 guys on the floor can handle the ball.

Little known fact... the cascadia fault will likely take care of that at some point. It’s overdue for a quake and when that fault goes its usually a powerful one. I believe the last one caused a tsunami in Japan... Cascadia subduction zone - Wikipedia
I’m aware. And I’m suggesting we should figure out cascadia’s optimum stress point. Then let Otis or hyrdrofracking do the rest.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom