Time to face facts this team just isn't that good | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Time to face facts this team just isn't that good

I haven't posted in a long time. Just want to say it's nice to come on here and read some good analysis of this program from true fans.

After Syracuse won their 1st of 2 NCs with Galloway and White, I bought one of those NC T-shirts that have the years of all our NCs on them. After we won our second, I thought 'Well, this T is still in really great condition, so I guess I'll buy the next one after these guys win their 3rd or 4th'. Still waiting. Dang shirt even has a spot where I spilled a drop of bleach on it. I want a new one and won't be getting one any time soon.

I forget exactly what happened after the likes of Dan Hardy graduated, but recall some other teams won, and we disappointed, and the 'parity' excuse was bandied about. Lax then went big time on TV, getting tons more exposure, and we've reaped none of the gains. The game passed the program by back then. 20 whatever straight final 4s to this. Very frustrating to watch.

You fix it with all it takes to be a winner, recruiting: chemistry, drive, appreciation of the fundamentals, innovation, and talent. Make sure the coaches are helping, not hurting. I've been coaching my kids' club team. I am not going to criticize the coaches. It's an unbelievably hard job. No matter how good my intentions are, I find myself sucking at it. There is no ACME bolt to tighten. It requires hard work, and talent that cares.

I watched the Hopkins and Duke disappointments, and the ND embarrassment. It's like some long, slow implosion. We had Hopkins by their blue balls. We were still a good team at that point, up 2, when we had the inexplicable turnover on that clear. We had Duke, until Deemer Class ripped Warren Hill a new one. And we lost both. ND was a debacle. Now, Cornell?

I will say that ND and Duke are very much out there in terms of helping to grow the game. When looking for drills and info, all links and queries lead back to them. It'd be nice to teach the 'Syracuse Way', whatever it is that that was.

Holy crap, swish. I thought you were in witness protection. Welcome back. :cool:

I think this is the least athletic team SU has ever had.

Where is the Matt Abbott type athlete who can run for days and isn't a smurf?

I also think the team isn't well-conditioned. There's bad luck and there's blowing multiple fourth quarter leads to lose in OT.

People may scoff at this but there is a link between the horrific late game execution that's cost this team and tired bodies.

Anyone who's played a sport knows how much tired legs contribute to poor fundamentals & decision making late in games.

As a youth coach I see it at every weekend tournament. Teams that come out like gangbusters look like crap in their third or fourth game because the kids are spent.

I think this is the least athletic team SU has ever had.

Where is the Matt Abbott type athlete who can run for days and isn't a smurf?

I also think the team isn't well-conditioned. There's bad luck and there's blowing multiple fourth quarter leads to lose in OT.

People may scoff at this but there is a link between the horrific late game execution that's cost this team and tired bodies.

Anyone who's played a sport knows how much tired legs contribute to poor fundamentals & decision making late in games.

As a youth coach I see it at every weekend tournament. Teams that come out like gangbusters look like crap in their third or fourth game because the kids are spent.

Your spot on about the lack of athleticism on this team, TW replayed the 2004 championship game vs Nave (Mike Powell's last game) the amount of talent and athleticism on that team vs the current one is night and day, its unrecognizable.

Your spot on about the lack of athleticism on this team, TW replayed the 2004 championship game vs Nave (Mike Powell's last game) the amount of talent and athleticism on that team vs the current one is night and day, its unrecognizable.
That would have to do with recruiting, no? Who is in charge of recruiting? Oh wait, he deserves to be here forever because he won national titles a generation ago.

I've been coaching my kids' club team. I am not going to criticize the coaches. It's an unbelievably hard job. No matter how good my intentions are, I find myself sucking at it. There is no ACME bolt to tighten. It requires hard work, and talent that cares.

I will say that ND and Duke are very much out there in terms of helping to grow the game. When looking for drills and info, all links and queries lead back to them. It'd be nice to teach the 'Syracuse Way', whatever it is that that was.

First blurb is spot on. It is a hard job and requires hard work from both players and coaches. As a coach it's lot easier when you're so talented you can just roll the ball out there and it's also a lot easier when you have really smart players. I think it's harder to make players smart than anything else.

the second paragraph me chuckle because it's so true. Every instructional video on youtube seemingly leads back to ND and their staff. They have dozens upon dozens of instructional lacrosse videos. Maybe 100+. Even with Corrigan giving some of the lessons. I've never come across one video from Syracuse. Not one. ND is branding themselves.

We have a video game. Can Notre Dame say that?

10154141_10153349077772321_8594310058760931153_n.jpg

First blurb is spot on. It is a hard job and requires hard work from both players and coaches. As a coach it's lot easier when you're so talented you can just roll the ball out there and it's also a lot easier when you have really smart players. I think it's harder to make players smart than anything else.

the second paragraph me chuckle because it's so true. Every instructional video on youtube seemingly leads back to ND and their staff. They have dozens upon dozens of instructional lacrosse videos. Maybe 100+. Even with Corrigan giving some of the lessons. I've never come across one video from Syracuse. Not one. ND is branding themselves.
Do we a real coach on this staff to give instructional videos?

I'll add Desko is a really good coach but sometimes you need fresh ideas and new blood. I remember Boeheim going down the same path and he went out and hired Troy Weaver which changed everything.

Middie wise it's the weakest I can ever remember. And our two super fast kids are midgets at the D1 level. The others are not elite level middies.

...and it’s concerning that youngsters can’t crack the midfield rotation.

SSDM's are not only small but don't ever play very good man defense either. why not?

Recruiting elite talent aside, I feel like we need to get bigger at midfield. I sometimes wonder if this is a byproduct of recruiting younger and younger kids. So great you have a commitment from a 5-8 freshman middie. But maybe he doesn't grow anymore.

(Lucas Quinn is no more than 5-8 or 5-9 tops but he's tree trunk. Really thick kid. He should (hopefully) be an exception)

Do we a real coach on this staff to give instructional videos?

LOL true. By and large everybody does the same drills etc so it’s not like ND is reinventing the wheel. It’s just simply propaganda. They’re targeting all the youth coaches and startups and high school coaches. Just beating ND into the brain of everybody who watches the videos.

So when I hear a kid or a newbie coach at a clinic ask the question – where can I see instructional videos on technique or how to run a drill – the response is always, “search ND lacrosse drills on youtube”. ND has some very popular goalie videos to that people always reference.

That would have to do with recruiting, no? Who is in charge of recruiting? Oh wait, he deserves to be here forever because he won national titles a generation ago.

I have never been a Desko lifetime contract guy so I don't think your last sentence really pertains to me but I also w0uldn't call titles in 08 and 09 a "generation ago". Its clear a change needs to be made but is that just one of the assistants or a complete do over. The problem is if you blow it up and get it wrong you risk turning into Princeton. Honestly the bigger issue isn't this year, down years like this happen to most of the big programs, the issue is we got jack squat out of the 2014 and 2015 teams who were loaded and knocked out early. Those failures have made this year 10X worse then it would have been had Syracuse won a title one of those years.

At this point I highly doubt Coyle is going to pull the plug on Desko under any circumstance at the end of this year. He doesn't have the cache to make a move at this point and the lacrosse media would be all over Syracuse. What he does have is the ability to demand a staff shakeup and or to put Desko on notice to maybe light a fire under this program that has been coasting for to long.

Your comment about recruiting definitely has merit but its more to do with the 2013 class being a total bust then anything else. That year SU had the #1 recruit in the nation and the #2 overall class and its turned out to be a disaster. The 2014 class was meant to only be a complimentary class with 2013 being so deep so we redshirted everyone and those recruits have failed to make any impact (see the 5 middies from that class) save for 1 or 2 guys. This past years class definitely shows promise and the 2017 and 2018 class are stacked. The key for Desko maybe next falls class, on paper it really only has 1 Top end UA in Trimboli. He desperately needs one of the goalies or Wisnauskas to break out next fall to bridge the gap to when SU should have back to back top 5 classes.

I also expect SU to be very active in the transfer market again this summer, they already have one on the way I expect at least another 2.

I have never been a Desko lifetime contract guy so I don't think your last sentence really pertains to me but I also w0uldn't call titles in 08 and 09 a "generation ago". Its clear a change needs to be made but is that just one of the assistants or a complete do over. The problem is if you blow it up and get it wrong you risk turning into Princeton. Honestly the bigger issue isn't this year, down years like this happen to most of the big programs, the issue is we got jack squat out of the 2014 and 2015 teams who were loaded and knocked out early. Those failures have made this year 10X worse then it would have been had Syracuse won a title one of those years.

At this point I highly doubt Coyle is going to pull the plug on Desko under any circumstance at the end of this year. He doesn't have the cache to make a move at this point and the lacrosse media would be all over Syracuse. What he does have is the ability to demand a staff shakeup and or to put Desko on notice to maybe light a fire under this program that has been coasting for to long.

Your comment about recruiting definitely has merit but its more to do with the 2013 class being a total bust then anything else. That year SU had the #1 recruit in the nation and the #2 overall class and its turned out to be a disaster. The 2014 class was meant to only be a complimentary class with 2013 being so deep so we redshirted everyone and those recruits have failed to make any impact (see the 5 middies from that class) save for 1 or 2 guys. This past years class definitely shows promise and the 2017 and 2018 class are stacked. The key for Desko maybe next falls class, on paper it really only has 1 Top end UA in Trimboli. He desperately needs one of the goalies or Wisnauskas to break out next fall to bridge the gap to when SU should have back to back top 5 classes.

I also expect SU to be very active in the transfer market again this summer, they already have one on the way I expect at least another 2.
My comment was definitely not directed at you. But, there is a point here. Recruiting is more important than ever given the amount of talent available due to the absence of new D1 programs and the simultaneous explosion of LAX at the H.S. level.

As Phat pointed out, there is a need for new blood and fresh thinking. Maybe Desko stays if he cleans house?

You make some really good points here. I think a lot of people are really under estimating the effect that "lost" 2013 recruiting class is having on this team. I am highly encouraged by the 2017 and 2018 classes, you have to give the coaches credit for that. The question is how to turn this around next year or do we risk another year like this one ? Another poster mentioned it but I do think there is a conditioning problem with this group. I for one would suggest desko take a page out of the Dio Babers play book and amp up the training regimen big time after the season. Get in shape or find some where else to play because the effort isn't cutting it right now. We are going to sorely miss Williams and his possessions next year and we have to find both a feeder and someone who can play in front of the goal and hold position. I would go out and hire the best pure defensive coach available and give him carte blanche to fix the D.

My comment was definitely not directed at you. But, there is a point here. Recruiting is more important than ever given the amount of talent available due to the absence of new D1 programs and the simultaneous explosion of LAX at the H.S. level.

As Phat pointed out, there is a need for new blood and fresh thinking. Maybe Desko stays if he cleans house?

I think a staff shake up is a very real possibility but I could also see Coyle giving one last go around with the current staff with the caveat that if there isn't a turnaround changes will be mandated. I do think that the staff reacted to the changing landscape and upped their early recruiting efforts because the 17 and 18 classes are absolutely stacked. The problem was that they went with a pretty small and focused 2014 class assuming 2013 would be as loaded as expected. When that class imploded they didn't really have anywhere to turn as the 2014 guys were all complimentary players save for Thorpe. If SU had a similar class in 2014 as they did this past fall (2015 class) you would have had several players ready to breakout like SU probably will next year with guys like Shewell, Solomon, Voight, Romano, O'Reilly, Hutchings etc. That 2013 class really screwed up the program and due to the issues with early recruiting and how long it took them to realize the '13 class was a bust they couldn't compensate for it fast enough.

You make some really good points here. I think a lot of people are really under estimating the effect that "lost" 2013 recruiting class is having on this team. I am highly encouraged by the 2017 and 2018 classes, you have to give the coaches credit for that. The question is how to turn this around next year or do we risk another year like this one ? Another poster mentioned it but I do think there is a conditioning problem with this group. I for one would suggest desko take a page out of the Dio Babers play book and amp up the training regimen big time after the season. Get in shape or find some where else to play because the effort isn't cutting it right now. We are going to sorely miss Williams and his possessions next year and we have to find both a feeder and someone who can play in front of the goal and hold position. I would go out and hire the best pure defensive coach available and give him carte blanche to fix the D.

Well Williams is back next year for his Sr year so they will at least have that. I think condition plays a role but also this team forgot what it was like 2013 and 2014 to have to play so much D due to Ben winning 60% of the draws the last seasons. What ends up happening is that when Williams suddenly stops winning draws and now SU is spending 60% + of a quarter on D they don't know how to compensate and turn into a mess because their not use to having to play that much defense. The communication issues and continued problems with SSDM are also killing this team

Going after transfers has caused an animosity issues from the 4 year players who pay there way there.

The infamous Class of 2013:

Evans, Jordan (DeWitt NY) Attack/Midfield
Firman, Scott (Fayetteville NY) Defense/LSM
Lane, Matt (Upper Montclair NJ) Attack
Schmitt, Spencer (Encinitas CA) Midfield
Simmons, Ryan (Fayetteville NY) Midfield
Weston, Nick (Honeoye Falls NY) Attack
Pulver, Josh (Manlius NY) Defense/LSM
DeMarco, Joe (Massapequa NY) Midfield/FO [Still listed in student directory]
Iacono, Michael (Smithtown NY) Midfield/FO [2 year JUCO - Graduated]
Manning, Niko (Baldwinsville NY) LSM [2 year JUCO - Graduated]
Staats, Randy (Caledonia ON) Attack [2 year JUCO - Graduated]
Ferrigan, Parker (Baldwinsville NY) Goalie [Transferred to Delaware]
Forkin, J.T. (Long Beach NY) Midfield [Transferred to a JUCO]
Maltz, Dylan (Ashburn VA) Attack [Transferred to Maryland]
McGinley, Hayes (Bentleyville OH) Midfield [Transferred to St Joes]
Nash, Syrrus (Tully NY) Midfield [Transferred to D2]
Wenham, Winston (Ithaca NY) Defense [Transferred to Ithaca]
Wyrick, Jimmy (Round Hill VA) Defense/LSM [Transferred to High Point]

Lane, Matt Upper (Montclair NJ) Attack

That about sums up. The most consistent and probably best player out of that class is really Firman at this point. Forkin, Maltz, McGinley were all expected to play pretty big roles. None are here.

When you see it like that, just wow what a mess.

Was there the same level of despair and calls to fire HC when Cuse was 5-8 in 2007 before rebounding to win national championships in 08 and 09??? Early expectations were for this to be a transitory year before our fast start raised expectations. Upper classes were disappointing but 15 class just fine and 16-18 recruiting classes look promising. Another quick reboot could be in place as roster turns over and Id rather stick with an established coach whose has delivered rebuilds before and a pretty consistent winning program in a era of increased parity.

This was supposed to be a tremendous class too. I give the staff a break on this one because Evans, Firman, Weston, Forkin, and Maltz were all under armor all americans. These guys were supposed to be good, but either haven't been and 2 of them transferred,

Was there the same level of despair and calls to fire HC when Cuse was 5-8 in 2007 before rebounding to win national championships in 08 and 09??? Early expectations were for this to be a transitory year before our fast start raised expectations. Upper classes were disappointing but 15 class just fine and 16-18 recruiting classes look promising. Another quick reboot could be in place as roster turns over and Id rather stick with an established coach whose has delivered rebuilds before and a pretty consistent winning program in a era of increased parity.

The 2007 season was plagued by injuries and Perrit was dismissed from school from a year (or withdrew) and Danny Brennan had to take a redshirt due to academic ineligibilty, plus nearly all of the guys returned who were the top end guys on that team ie Hardy, Brooks, Levelle, Abbott etc . This team loses Donahue, Piroli, Mullins, Grimm, McDermott, Dejoe, Barber, Hill, etc. Not to mention the 2008 class was a highly rated/ranked recruiting class that included Galloway, Kevin Drew, Keogh, Joel White, Jovan Miller, amongst others. Next falls incoming class for SU while certainly not bad by any stretch is no where near as good on paper as that 08 class.

The 2007 season was plagued by injuries and Perrit was dismissed from school from a year (or withdrew) and Danny Brennan had to take a redshirt due to academic ineligibilty, plus nearly all of the guys returned who were the top end guys on that team ie Hardy, Brooks, Levelle, Abbott etc . This team loses Donahue, Piroli, Mullins, Grimm, McDermott, Dejoe, Barber, Hill, etc. Not to mention the 2008 class was a highly rated/ranked recruiting class that included Galloway, Kevin Drew, Keogh, Joel White, Jovan Miller, amongst others. Next falls incoming class for SU while certainly not bad by any stretch is no where near as good on paper as that 08 class.

The '08 class coming in on paper though I don't think was all that strong. I thought Keogh was fairly unknown but could be wrong, Jovan Miller was sort of a throw in, I know nobody expected much from him. Joel White came here as a short stick; nobody could've guessed he'd be an all-world player. But that's what it takes, players need to step up.

Honestly, the only losses I see from this team right now are Donahue, Mullins and Barber.

It's funny, looking at that recruiting list it's the recruiting we clamor for.

7 players from Section 3,
1 from Ithaca and
2 from Downstate (Smithtown and Massapequa),
plus 2 from VA.

Who could’ve guessed they'd mostly flame out.

The number of transfers is disturbing...At the time some felt like we had quite the arsenal assembled here but man it's been gutted out or players haven't materialized.

The number of transfers is disturbing...At the time some felt like we had quite the arsenal assembled here but man it's been gutted out or players haven't materialized.

Maltz and Ferrigan got impatient. McGinley was a knucklehead.

Grimm will be a big loss at SSDM next year (and this year if he doesn't play again). A real position of need.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom