Time to re-examine the one-and-done rule? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Time to re-examine the one-and-done rule?

NBA revenues are sky high, true, but the quality of basketball is not commensurate with increased cashflow. The quality of professional basketball as a whole has been diluted just like the college game. The system needs to be rejiggered or else the quality on both levels will continue to decline.

What is this based on?

the problem would be fixed if the pay scale was not so out of wack for pro sports compared to the rest of the real world.. let the kids go pro but dont pay them 10 million year one.. pay them like the normal first year person for any other job.. does any other profession pay the unproven person more than the established person?

the problem would be fixed if the pay scale was not so out of wack for pro sports compared to the rest of the real world.. let the kids go pro but dont pay them 10 million year one.. pay them like the normal first year person for any other job.. does any other profession pay the unproven person more than the established person?

Does any other profession get billion dollar TV deals, injury risk that can effect future earnings? These guys careers are limited due to their being younger, stronger, more athletic guys coming in, they need these big contracts to be able to have security for a long time.

If you did pay them a low wage in the beginning, where does the money go? The owners?

The quality of professional basketball as a whole has been diluted just like the college game. .

I don't get to watch the NBA much admittedly, but I really don't think this is true.

Change the rule to read that anyone who leaves early doesn't get to play in the NBA. It would not affect many, since only a dozen or so each year get to play in the League anyway.

Not sure what you're watching but the NBA is as good as it's ever been IMO.

Then you haven't been watching for very long; as in more than one decade.

I don't get to watch the NBA much admittedly, but I really don't think this is true.

There are 3 teams that can win an Nba title, there are a lot of bad-mediocre teams in the league.

There are 3 teams that can win an Nba title, there are a lot of bad-mediocre teams in the league.

Warriors, Clippers, Spurs, Cavs, Thunder. Which two don't stand a chance?

I wouldn't even count out the Rockets, Bulls, Toronto or even the Hawks.

There are a lot of average teams but there aren't a lot of bad ones.

Warriors, Clippers, Spurs, Cavs, Thunder. Which two don't stand a chance?

I wouldn't even count out the Rockets, Bulls, Toronto or even the Hawks.

There are a lot of average teams but there aren't a lot of bad ones.

The Thunder, Clippers, Rockets aren't winning titles. Lets be honest the Warriors and Spurs are going to play in the western conf finals, and the winner is going to play the Cavs.

Does any other profession get billion dollar TV deals, injury risk that can effect future earnings? These guys careers are limited due to their being younger, stronger, more athletic guys coming in, they need these big contracts to be able to have security for a long time.

If you did pay them a low wage in the beginning, where does the money go? The owners?
no the players just the ones who have earned it.
why does this job have to pay them for ever? its only in the last 30 years that contracts got out of wack..
and i have no problem with owners making billions and players making far less..
no player is worth 20 million a year in any sport. if a player only plays 5 years and then has to find a new career is that a bad thing?

Change the rule to read that anyone who leaves early doesn't get to play in the NBA. It would not affect many, since only a dozen or so each year get to play in the League anyway.

no the players just the ones who have earned it.
why does this job have to pay them for ever? its only in the last 30 years that contracts got out of wack..
no player is worth 20 million a year in any sport. if a player only plays 5 years and then has to find a new career is that a bad thing?

images

its only in the last 30 years that contracts got out of wack..
It's only in the last 30 years that TV contracts have exploded. Players are only worth what people are willing to pay them. Apparently it's $20+ million for the good-to-great ones.

Obviously it's more up to the NBA than the NCAA. Once upon a time the NBA didn't draft players until their college class graduated. That was extreme. Id' like players to be able to go right to the NBA from high school and have the NBA train them through a minor league system like baseball and hockey. But if a player chooses to go to college, the NBA, (or NFL to stretch the idea to that sport) wouldn't draft them until their class graduated to encourage them to get their degrees. College coaches could go back to planning their rosters and line-ups each year.

Obviously it's more up to the NBA than the NCAA. Once upon a time the NBA didn't draft players until their college class graduated. That was extreme. Id' like players to be able to go right to the NBA from high school and have the NBA train them through a minor league system like baseball and hockey. But if a player chooses to go to college, the NBA, (or NFL to stretch the idea to that sport) wouldn't draft them until their class graduated to encourage them to get their degrees. College coaches could go back to planning their rosters and line-ups each year.

I just don't understand this logic. An architect student or engineer that could get a well-paying job after sophomore or junior year, would be free to go. Why would that not be ok for a basketball player?

I had multiple friends in college that had offers to leave school early for professional opportunities.

College coaches, at least the ones that deal with early-entries to the draft, get paid plenty of money to deal with this issue.

The NBA would never want to wait four years for a kid that developed a year or two later than his peers. We never would have got Melo if he would have had to stay four years.

Its not true. The NBA has more talent and more skill now than ever before by a HUGE margin. Players are taller, faster, stronger, and can jump higher, but they also dribble better, pass better, and shoot better. There are only a handful of players in the NBA who can't handle the ball, pass, and shoot from three now. There used to be two or three guys like that in every starting line up.

This is only logical, the NBA has a wider talent pool to draw from now. More American kids are playing basketball than ever before (much fewer are playing baseball, and you'd be a fool to choose football over basketball when skilled enough to play either), and now the NBA is drawing from all over the world, instead of just America.

These discussions drive me nuts. College basketball has ZERO say about the one and done rule. They can't stop kids from going to the NBA and making money. Its an NBA rule that is collectively bargained between the owners and the players association. Nobody else gets a say in this.

I understand why the NBA instituted a one and done rule. It sucks to scout high schools, and they were making too many mistakes, and drafting high school busts way too early. The one and done rule seems to have fixed that issue. You are never going to hit 100% or even close to it when scouting, but when you give the scouts a year to watch players in college the number of kids they miss on goes way down. This rule is working for the NBA, I have no idea why they would change it.

And just for the record, the level of college basketball play has not gone down, its gone up . . . its just become more defensive. The athletes are better now and the coaching is far more sophisticated, thus the defense is on a whole new level. Combine that with the most talented players leaving young (before they truly learn how to beat those improved defenses), and you get lower scoring games. This might not be your thing as a fan, but, its not the result of worse play, or even worse offense, its the result of better defense.

AAU is far from perfect, I understand this, but even with the flaws, basketball players and basketball as a whole is far superior to even 10 or 15 years ago.

The Thunder, Clippers, Rockets aren't winning titles. Lets be honest the Warriors and Spurs are going to play in the western conf finals, and the winner is going to play the Cavs.

Don't know how you can just count out a team that has Durant and Westbrook, a team that has Chris Paul surrounded by talent, Harden and Howard. That's just a lazy statement.

I just don't understand this logic. An architect student or engineer that could get a well-paying job after sophomore or junior year, would be free to go. Why would that not be ok for a basketball player?

I had multiple friends in college that had offers to leave school early for professional opportunities.

College coaches, at least the ones that deal with early-entries to the draft, get paid plenty of money to deal with this issue.

The NBA would never want to wait four years for a kid that developed a year or two later than his peers. We never would have got Melo if he would have had to stay four years.

The NBA did wait for four years - for many years. I think they, the schools and the players were better off when they did so, with the exception of exceptional talents that were ready to become pros right out of high school. Let them do that and let the kids who go to college, (who obviously in this scenario went there because they wanted an education), stay and get their degree while maximizing their talents. Everyone wins.

The NBA did wait for four years - for many years. I think they, the schools and the players were better off when they did so, with the exception of exceptional talents that were ready to become pros right out of high school. Let them do that and let the kids who go to college, (who obviously in this scenario went there because they wanted an education), stay and get their degree while maximizing their talents. Everyone wins.

I think the reason for the changes is that players are more physically developed and more athletic than they ever have been. Advanced scouting has helped as well.

It's only in the last 30 years that TV contracts have exploded. Players are only worth what people are willing to pay them. Apparently it's $20+ million for the good-to-great ones.

How can people even argue against this? The money isn't being created out of thin air. The league is generating a ridiculous amount of revenue and it's being passed down to the players, as it should be.

I think the NBA will make a push for 2 years, maybe in the next CBA. I wonder if a 2 year rule would entice players to play in Europe/China instead of college.

But the goal isn't a degree, it's a ticket to the NBA.

If we don't acknowledge that, we're not being honest.

This system isn't for us. We are spectators. It's real life for them. I respectfully disagree with your take.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom